This weekend the donor rig finally showed up so now I've got a strong running 4.3l TBI, LB4.

I also rewired my heater controls so now I have variable fan speed for the first time since I've owned the truck, the PO had hacked the wiring pretty bad and the the controls were broken so I replaced the heater control sub harness, control panel, fan,and resistor board then repaired the wiring under the hood. Works like stock now.

I also changed around the electric fan wiring and tracked down my clunk in the front end, turned out the trac bar bolt holes on the axle had ovaled so I drilled it to a bigger bolt, now its nice and tight.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't done much to the MJ. I tinkered on the engine donor a bit, I want to make sure everything is good on it before the swap so I'm not chasing pre existing problems when it goes in the MJ. It runs pretty well and should be a good upgrade in power.

I've been driving the MJ lately instead of my DD and its got me really wanting to get going on the swap. My DD has a V8 and 5spd so the MJ is feeling pretty gutless.

• 1 month later...

Didn't get any pics but I finally got around to pulling the donor engine and all the wiring for the swap.

Not sure how soon I will be able to do the swap but at least I'm a step closer.

So after a conversation with a few other MJ guys I went and took some measurements and it looks like a 4.0l will clear my winch in its current position with some minor tweaking.

Now I have a 4.0l and all the wiring sitting on a pallet and a 4.3l and all the wiring sitting on another pallet and a decision to make.

The 4.0 would be easier and cheaper, I like the 4.3l because its not the typical 4.0l you find under the hood of just about every MJ/XJ

Performance wise both engines are nearly the same.

Not completely sure what I'm gonna do yet but I'm leaning towards the 4.0

Its hard to decide which one to go with. I was thinking today that the 4.3 would be nice because it would be pretty easy to put in a V8 later on as most of the conversion would already be done.

I think I am gonna stick with the 4.3l.

I also think I have decided to ditch the AX15 for an NV3500, that way I won't need to buy an engine to transmission adapter and I can also use the entire Chevy 231 rather then hybrid it with my Jeep 231 like I had planned.

Now I just need to find a trans and then put a flywheel and clutch on my 4.3l, I'm gonna hit the junkyards and see what I can find. I'm also hoping to score a set of late model heads for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is an easier line,the one to the right of it is a lot easier though.

I didn't get to try the crack, the day the video was taken I had lost my powersteering just before getting to funny rocks so I didn't play much there.

The next day it was wet and super slick, nobody was going up anything but the far right line.

• 3 months later...

Haven't updated in a while.

I finally decided I'm gonna do a 4.0l/ax15 swap to simplify things, I already have everything for the swap so I just need to do it.

The 4.3l and 700r4 is going into a YJ.

I also picked up a HP D44 and a D60 so the MJs getting full width and 8lugs, then its getting an exo.

Should be pretty cool.

I will try to keep doing updates as I go, we have a few other builds going on at the shop so I'm gonna have to juggle things around to work on it.

The shop has become way to small. we ordered a 50x80 building but its not going in till probably spring.

We also got a 24x48 that's gonna be paint and body going in about the same time but for now we are making due with our current 2 bay.

• mnkyboy changed the title to Mnkyboys 89 Comanche project