Got my MPI engine on the stand today and stripped it down so i can get my engine back together.

I also dug out the 4.0L HO TB I have been saving for the swap. here is the TBI setup next to the 2.5L and 4.0L,apperently my 2.5L has been suffering from asthma.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck! I'm rooting for you. I'll probably end up stealing a bunch of your ideas, by the way.

I've been thinking of going MPFI for the sake of forced induction, but then I stumbled upon some stroker builds that seem like they would work as NA builds. I'm honestly torn.

Its more of a Renix vs. HO problem. The TBI doesnt really matter, I currently have a 4.0l Renix cluster in the truck.

I am planning to run the Renix senders for the dash and I will also plumb in any senders/sensors that the MPI requires,so some sensors may get doubled up.

As for the speedometer, the early MPI Wranglers up to about 93 used a pass through speed sensor with a cable speedometer. So I will have the speed sensor for the computer but can keep the stock guage.

Here is the VSS

You need an adapter to adapt it to the stock speedometer cable,the renix jeeps with cruise control have a speed sensor behind the guages that uses the correct adapter, you could probably get one from a speedometer shop but the stock ones are easy to find at the junk yard.

I did a bit of research on the swap, there is almost no information on swapping MPI onto a 2.5l but there is lots of info on swapping the 4.0l injection onto a 4.2l which is a very similar swap.

Havent had much time to play with the MJ lately,today i was able to reseal the oil pan and replace the rear main seal then move onto the inertia ring set up.

I got out the bathroom scale and compared weights,the inertia ring add roughly 9.5 lbs to the flywheel.

i installed my adapter pilot bushing,this will allow me to go from the 2.5L flywheel to a 93 and up AX15.

here's the old pilot next to the new one.

and installed

Everything was going smoothly till i bolted it on,the guy who made the ring made it to have 0.015-0.030" clearance with the engine block. apperantly his block was cast a little different then mine so there is a clearence issue.

should be an easy fix though.

I also got the engine most of the way back together and got most of the engine wiring installed,now i need to start putting the vehicle and engine harnesses together. hopefully i can get it to fire up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Havent touched the MJ since my last post so today I decided to tackle the inertia ring issue. For anyone wondering laying under an engine block and clearancing it with a diegrinder is not a good time.

I ended up taking off more then I originally thought but it fits fine, I also installed the new Centerforce clutch disc and the pressure plate.

Now I can bolt up the trans and install the CPS.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been getting ready for NAXJA's NWfest so not alot of progress on the MJ. I took my daily driver XJ but didnt wheel it, I had an awesome time but really wished the MJ had been ready.

Today I spent a little time in the garage and got the AX15 mounted up.

Its a 93 AX15 that I converted to external slave, I used a Dakota bellhousing with a centerforce clutch disc and an Advanced Adapters pilot bushing to adapt it to my 2.5l.

EDIT:

96-98 2.5l AX15 Dakota bellhousing, I've been told that the 99-02 2.5l Dakota NV1500 bellhousing also bolts up,main difference is that it uses a bellhousing mounted starter instead of the block mounted starter.

You need a Centerforce clutch disc #383824 or a disc from a 1984 Camaro 2.5l 4spd if you can find it.(must be 4spd,5spd will not work).

If you have a 92 or newer AX15 you can use Advanced Adapters pilot bushing #716167,for 89-91 AX15 you would probably need to have one made.

Also if you use a 89-93 AX15 you will need to convert it to external slave.

• mnkyboy changed the title to Mnkyboys 89 Comanche project