• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll probably use some Spectre parts to fab an intake tube for this beastie. I've had good luck with their aluminum "fabrication" parts. Since I can't weld AL, I just use their flex couplers. 

Finally ditched the roller lead, I made a hawse to replace them. I also made a set of poly motor mounts, I get a lttle more vibration but the engine doesnt move at all and the throttle response is awesome.

I also did some measuring and started coming up with a plan for the 3 link.

Today I cut down the housing on the D44 to make room for the new mounts, I also made the bridge over the diff so I can mount the upper control arm.

I also started gutting the brakes on the D60 for the disc brake swap.

I'm getting close to having the axles under the truck.

I snapped a pic of the axle bridges I was working on, they will hold the upper control arm and be the base for the rest of the truss. We have several builds going so I made a couple, one is a Clayton and the other two were made from scratch.

I pulled the interior out, the rubber mat and padding must have weighed 75lbs with all the water in it.

Looks like I have some work to do although it does look worse then it actually is, I'm sure the rust belt guys would be happy to find this.

I've been keeping an eye on the rust for the last few years,I was waiting till I had another reason to tear everything out.

I have all the tools to make replacement floor panels, so it should be an easy fix. I will be reworking parts of the floor anyway to accommodate different shifters and to maximize control arm separation on the 3 link suspension.

Got some more done tonight. pulled the TBI and stock manifolds off,also got the exhaust system removed and pulled the AX4 and 231.

With the trans out of the way I can mock up the AX15 and start building a crossmember.

I will have to think about reproducing them. If you have a welder and a cut off wheel you can easily make one, its basically a piece of box tube that I sliced in half making a channel, I then did a few pie cuts and bent up the basic shape.

After that its just fitting to your specific axle.

Today I pulled the engine apart, I have always had a hunch that my engine had been rebuilt today I confirmed it.

The head is in excellent shape and has a rebuilders tab on it,when I lifted off the cyl bead I was greeted by a newish looking set of 0.060 pistons.

I also got the AX15 ready to mock up. I changed it to Wrangler clocking,this will let me use a wrangler shifter which IMO is better then the stock one, it will also help with belly clearence a little.

Overall it was a fairly productive weekend, ive decided to do a majority of the build in my garage rather then at the shop so its going a little slower then it should.

I'm setting up a high pinion 44 and the drivers UCA mount is the only thing left to do. I'm no stranger to pie cut and bent plate; I thought you pressed them into shape, haha.

Edit: Could you post up dimensions? Thanks

If I remember I will see about getting dimensions, I also made a template.

The main shape is just the box tube, I bent the pie cut areas with a makeshift brake in my shop press but there is no reason you couldnt do it without one.

Between family in from Alaska,mothers day, and everything else I had going on I have got as much done as I wanted. I did get a few minutes to work on the engine a little, the cam and lifters are in the block so I can work on getting the engine together then onto the MPI conversion.

here's the little 2.5l all tucked in for the night.

We will see once its back together.

It did pretty good before, on the trails it had no problem keeping up with more powerful rigs but I didnt like how hard I had to run it to keep up on gravel roads and open spaces.

I'm hoping that the latest engine mods help, I'm also going from 4.88 to 5.38 gearing which will help but I also plan to move up to a 35" to 37" tire.

If I'm not happy with it ive got some Garrett T3s laying around,should be easy to turbo once I have MPFI.

• mnkyboy changed the title to Mnkyboys 89 Comanche project