Busy weekend but I was able to play with the MJ for a bit.

5 years ago my brother and I built my tube bumper, I wanted it semi gloss black but he talked me into a dark gray hammer finish. Well I finally made it the way I wanted it, since it was off and needed touched up anyway i fired up the paint gun and gave it a nice shot of semi gloss black.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a new toy ordered,once it comes I should be able to build my crossmember and see where everything is gonna sit for the front 3 link.

No pics of the new toy but this is what its do.

Old set up left new set up on the right.

Slight change of plans with the build. I got a call today, my buddy was at a local Pick n Pull and he stumbled across a fairly clean 91 2.5l MJ and wanted to know if I needed anything.

I now have a complete 91 MPI harness and a few other goodies, he should be dropping everything off on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Played with the wiring some more, i modded the harness to plug into the existing rear harness.

Its amazing how much cleaner everything looks with the MPI harness,seems like I only put in half as much wiring as I took out.

When I swapped mine over to a 91 harness I'm pretty sure I just plugged it in at the firewall and even the windshield wiper motor plugs were the same..... never did figure out the oil sending unit for a guage though.... just put in a mechanical one and called it good.

My wiper plugs are the same as well, I wondered if it would plug in at the firewall and work but I wanted to get rid of my factory rats nest of wiring so I swapped everything.

Everything is much cleaner now.

The good about 91 is it was the crossover year and almost everything plugs in.... the bad is alot of the sensors were specific to 91-92 and harder to find in the boneyard.....  trucks lookin' awesome... :thumbsup:

So far about the only thing that hasnt plugged in is the CPS and the rear harness since they ditched the two plugs for one 16 pin plug in 91.

Otherwise everything else has plugged in between my 89 MJ,91 harness, and 95 MPFI.

I did find that the heater sub harness changed too which kinda sucks since I didnt get it with the harness but I know a few guys parting XJs that said I can have it.

Got some more done. I got the external slave setup put in, the clutch seems to be working fine.

I picked up an HO guage cluster and put it in, I also got a few miscellaneous hoses and wires for the swap.I put on some HO fuel lines so all my lines will look factory, I think it looks cleaner then the typical EFI hoses and hose clamps.

I also did some port work on my intake, I matched it to the 4.0l TB and I also port matched and installed a Power aid TB spacer. Some say it makes a difference and some say it doesnt, I guess I will find out.

The winch worked out really well there,my approach angles are awesome and it helps keep the weight back some.

I measured it out when I was considering a 4.0l swap and my 10k would have still cleared where its at so you should have no problem fitting a suck down winch down there.

You know what's cool is you could almost have yours do double duty.... I'll have to go back and check out your build.... the bumper i'm running was one a guy built just for Harlan and he didn't take into account the the width once the bumper slid under the front fascia (which is why it's too narrow for my front) .... well anyway my last bumper was not built for a winch so I bought this one just to have a winch and always planned on building another.  Now I'm considering making my next bumper flat and moving my winch behind.

Put the Behemoth together today, wasn't to bad hardest part was getting the main gear out of the donor case. I still need to open it one more time to seal it so this was kind of a test run to see how it all goes together.

It shifts smooth and I can get all the gears so everything seems to be good to go.

• 1 month later...

Since my last post I have been swamped, I left my day job to help keep up with all the work coming in at the shop.

I have been working long hours and today is the first time I have had time to touch the Jeep.

I finally got the MJ out of my garage and moved to my shop, hopefully I will be able to get some work done on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Been super busy, I changed day jobs and am currently moving so nothing has been happening with the MJ.

Hopefully things will calm down for me soon and I will be able to work on it again, its driving me crazy having it just sitting.

I did change my build a little. I'm pretty sure that ive decided to use a Sterling 10.25 rather then my D60,the Sterling is going to be significantly stronger then the D60 with similar ground clearence.

It will take 5.38s which is whats going in the front axle, lockers and such from what Ive seen really aren't that much more.

Once you figure that the D60 will need a shaft upgrade and the Sterling won't need one cost really doesnt matter.

The price of D60 35 splines will easily make up any difference in parts cost.

• mnkyboy changed the title to Mnkyboys 89 Comanche project