The RMV is CRAZY!!

BJA814

Went to register the truck today. It used to be that in Mass, you would pay sales tax on the price written on the title. However, the registry got tired of people "buying" 2 year old cars for $500 to avoid sales tax.

So now we are charged based on book value for the vehicle. I found this out last Feb when I bought my 2000 GMC Yukon. I paid $8000 for the truck, but paid sales tax on 11,500. Ok....I was a little ticked off, but I dealt with it.

Sent a family member to the registry today while I was at work. Knowing the whole book value deal, I KBB'd the truck:

1988 Comanche Sport truck 2x4 auto short bed 122k. In excellent condition it was valued at roughly $2300....I can live with that.

The registry had other ideas however....$7900!! WHAT?!?!?! ARE THEY CRAZY?!?!

I paid $300 for the thing...it's different colors and had no floor pans! Gimme a break here! They then proceeded to say that in good condition the truck was worth $5600. Even though the original price was only what...$6500?

We finally argued them down to $2500 for fair to poor condition, which is still high in my opinion.

Now I know we all love these trucks, and I wouldn't sell mine for less than $10k haha, but what gives?!

Sorry....just needed to vent a little. As a side note, I'm loving driving this thing!! It's a blast.

Brad

Okay... you live in a state dumb enough to elect Ted Kennedy like 4000 times. Dumb enough to elect Michael Dukakis, 4 times to your state legislature, 3 terms as your Governnor (one with John Kerry as Lt. Governor).

And you have to wonder why they are going to construe a rule to increase the amount of taxation they can get.. while claiming it was people 'screwing' them that caused the rule.

Okay... you live in a state dumb enough to elect Ted Kennedy like 4000 times. Dumb enough to elect Michael Dukakis, 4 times to your state legislature, 3 terms as your Governnor (one with John Kerry as Lt. Governor).

And you have to wonder why they are going to construe a rule to increase the amount of taxation they can get.. while claiming it was people 'screwing' them that caused the rule.

As much as I hate him and think he was/is $#!&ty for the country and as a person; Teddy went to bat for his state, which is why he kept getting elected.

that is crazy though. I bought a cherokee for $200 in college and had to pay $150 in tax title and fees. North Carolina has it setup to where the least you will pay is about $100.

i live in RI and they've recently adopted this too, but only for cars less than 10 years old... found that out when i went to register my 01 police interceptor... i traded a 99 buick for it, and wrote 1000 on the bill of sale, and when i got to the counter the bill came out to 670 something! they valued the car (a retired cruiser, complete with blue and white paint, and 175k on it!) at almost 9000 :fs1: .... at least they let you haggle on the price lol, they said i would have had to fill out a form and wait for a response from whoever handles those things...

Anything older than 1990 is now considered "Classic" and they put a high price tag on it. I just looked mine up on NADA and it said $7900. When I lived in NC back in the late 80's & early 90's, they did the same thing there, but only for newer than 10 years.

Just curious about something though. What is the "R" in RMV. Every state that I have lived in, the place you go to do what you are talking about is called the DMV...Department of Motor Vehicles, but I have never heard of a RMV...??

Anything older than 1990 is now considered "Classic" and they put a high price tag on it. I just looked mine up on NADA and it said $7900. When I lived in NC back in the late 80's & early 90's, they did the same thing there, but only for newer than 10 years.

Just curious about something though. What is the "R" in RMV. Every state that I have lived in, the place you go to do what you are talking about is called the DMV...Department of Motor Vehicles, but I have never heard of a RMV...??

Possibly, Registrar???

Here in Ontario we go by a Book Value as well although our setup is The higher price of the two between the bill of sale and the book value...

We can get around this if We get an Appraisal which will tell the true value of the vehicle and then we will pay tax on that value...

Try getting an appraisal done which will state the actual value of the vehicle and then go into your DMV for registration and see if they will accept that as a Current value rather then Just the book...

Possibly, Registrar???

MA has the RMV - registry of motor vehicles... every other state ive lived in has a DMV, except for ohio, they have the BMV - bureau of motor vehicles...

In RI you also have to register a truck every year now, where any car is every two years :dunno: and if you put the wrong weight on the registration form they send you a letter saying they canceled you reg and then you have to pay all over again :fs1: I wasnt sure so i made up a weight, they said it was wrong. I said I don't care. They told me within a week the reg would be suspended and i would have to pay all the fees again and go thru the whole reg process all over.

I didn't pay ANY sales tax to get the XJ plated. I traded it for the Suburban, we both put $0 for the sale price on the title.

BMV asked "Why $0?"

I answered "Because I traded it for another car."

They were okay with that.