How do you remove the smell of gear oil?

BPB

A couple months ago I transported a transmission for my Subi in the trunk of my mom's new car. The guy said that it was drained, he lied. I have cleaned all the oil out of the area under the carpet. I pulled the carpet out and scrubbed it with some chemical that I got from a cleaning supply company at least five times and rinsed it with a hose in the front yard. The carpet still stinks like gear oil. What can I do to get rid of the smell?

I bet Mom's not happy. :D Suggest you pull the carpet and bring it to a commercial cleaning facility with a HP steam cleaner. The hot steam under pressure is probably the only way to get that nasty thick gear oil out.

buy new carpet. maybe you should start a "what did you do to your parent's car today?" thread, you might get some better responses. :smart:

KIA wants $185 for a new carpet

I'm guessing it's too new for the junkyards? Although, they'll probably want more than the dealership. :shake: I wonder if there'd be anything on car-part.com yet. :hmm:

I'm guessing it's too new for the junkyards? Although, they'll probably want more than the dealership. :shake: I wonder if there'd be anything on car-part.com yet. :hmm:

Nothing, it is a 2008. I am going to talk to an upholstery shop. I don't know if the carpet is able to be removed from the plastic plate on the bottom.

buy new carpet. maybe you should start a "what did you do to your parent's car today?" thread, you might get some better responses. :smart:

IMO that doesn't seem like a bad number, all things considered. I'd guess it would be a minimum of $100 to have it steam cleaned and you still might not get it all out.

I was thinking that if I went to a fabric store that I could fet a piece of fabric that is similar, cut it to shape, and then glued it to a piece of 1/4" paneling that it would suffice.

There is no way anyone could smell gear oil if your mom was around.

I'm not saying she stinks or anything, but gear oil doesnt stand a chance in an odor contest.

Ouch...... :eek:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Those things are a dime a dozen out there. A crowbar and a dark Home Depot parking lot and you are in business.... :brows:

I don't know any better way to get the smell outta carpet...

If that carpet is attached to a removable panel,

take the panel out,scrub it with Greased lightning or some

such grease remover,then rinse it down with a mix of

vinegar and water,let it dry,spray it with Febreeze or

some other odor remover.

Or,tell your mom to learn to enjoy the smell.

#1 cotton balls ( insert in nostrils ) #2 Pick up the first road kill you see ( place in trunk as diversion ) #3 ask that "Billy" guy on late nite info-mercials :dunno:

I told my mom that I was going to make her a new carpet, she said no. So I told her that I was having one made at an upholstery shop. Then I went to homodepo, I bought some black indoor/outdoor carpet, some #90 spray adhesive and stole some 1/4" plywood from work. I went over to darren's with my new supplies and the old carpet. We laid the old one on the new one and cut out the new one in the same shape, sprayed the adhesive on the plywood, and the carpet and then we drank beer while standing on the plywood until it dried. cost me $30

#1 cotton balls ( insert in nostrils ) #2 Pick up the first road kill you see ( place in trunk as diversion ) #3 ask that "Billy" guy on late nite info-mercials :dunno:

:rotfl2:

okeedokey Wahoo, we got another jokester on the forum.

aliens

Apprentice status as of now, but off to a good start IMO. :yes: :thumbsup: