Introduce your Comanche...

Pete M

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking truck. But just an FYI, the load-sensing valve on your rear axle is messed up. The rod attached to the diff should be vertical, and the bar that it attaches to should be more or less horizontal. The way the valve works, as the truck squats, the bar gets pushed upwards, which increases rear braking force. The way it's positioned now, you'll have very little going on in the back.

No worries. My truck was the same, but the rod was just completely gone, so i just wired up the bar. Then put it back, because front brakes only was more predictable than the disaster that was the rear brakes that hadn't done anything for a few years...

Took the truck out for first trip since I redid the gaskets and all. Drove it bout 2 and half hours total. Picked up some tires ended up gettin 5 for 320$ traded a spare that matched his new rims and tires. Link was broke but they are those turbine ones.

well, Here he is.....my brand new 25 year old 1988 Comanche Pioneer. I am glad to say that this one of my favorite vehicles i have owned. It is my very first Jeep as well.got him on trade for a 2000 crown vic. lol. 
5 Speed 4x4
129,xxx miles
I am not quite sure if anything has been modified on it yet but I will soon find out. 
originally from California and has come to live in Omaha Nebraska with me.

1384043_575042625877784_1986948914_n.jpg

1381489_10202070630390736_1408726040_n.j

1378107_10202070610670243_724051566_n.jp

1378534_10202070580269483_1139034551_n.j

1394098_10202070604230082_1881551400_n.j

This is my first post, so here's some pics of my -89 4WD 2.1 turbo diesel:

048.jpg

051.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

Welcome. The diesel is a pretty rare thing over this side of the pond, and the MJ is a pretty rare thing over that side. Does that make yours extra rare? :brows:  Looks like a pretty solid truck. Care to elaborate on the Pontiac grill?

This is my first post, so here's some pics of my -89 4WD 2.1 turbo diesel:

048.jpg

051.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

Welcome. The diesel is a pretty rare thing over this side of the pond, and the MJ is a pretty rare thing over that side. Does that make yours extra rare? :brows:  Looks like a pretty solid truck. Care to elaborate on the Pontiac grill?

Well... It really wasn't so solid when i got it. But you're right about how rare they are, there's about 50 Comanches in Finland, and i believe most of them 4L. When i bought the car (as a project) it had no grill but  some rust.

IMG_3940.jpg

So i started welding. Rocker panels are now made from 100x50mm steel profile and body parts from 5mm steel plate. I think they will last few years now.

I took grill from a -86 Pontiac Parisienne as i have one my backyard.. My plan is to get a grill from a XJ. Now that i had welding done, i'm working with brakes, then some electrical issues and maybe some day next month i may take car to inspector and get it leagally to road..

I have had -74 Wagoneer, -90 XJ Cherokee and -94 Grand Cherokee before, but never i had one with diesel engine...

• 5 weeks later...

Got "new" grill from junkyard, brakes fixed and "new" 31x10,5r15 wheels (bigger than these aren't streetlegal to Comanche here, offroad you may use as big you wish..). Now trying next to get this to inspector and streetlegal

012.jpg

019.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone!  I have been looking for a Comanche for awhile and finally found this '92 sitting alone in the snow in Denver.  She was a project for the previous owner and he did most of the things I would had it been mine.  A little haggling and an exchange of Benjamins for the keys and title and I took her home.  She has an 8.8 rear end w/discs, APN header, magnaflow exhaust, new welded in and rustproofed floorpans, Dodge Neon injectors for a little better throttle response, 4.10's, 31x10.5x15 Pirelli A/T tires, 5-speed and 4.0L.  There's lots more but those are the high points.  The Pirellis wouldn't be my first choice for a tire but they're very new and work better than I thought.  Looking forward to learning about the truck on this forum and I am amped 'cause I finally own a Comanche!

tRFJZMF.jpg?1

Well since I picked up the ole MJ I have completed a tune up, new water pump, got the bucket seats installed, headliner hung, new stereo and speakers, new wheels and tires, upgraded the mirrors on the outside and finally an old looking bumper guard.  Nice rig to haul my canoe around.

taqzc8.jpg

33dif82.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'm Dan, and this is my first Jeep. 91 4.0 AT shortbed with a 4in lift. It has about 200k on the body, I don't know a lot of history on the truck but the price was right. I haven't done anything with it yet but it's a toy so the bad ideas are flowing.

gu3ajuge.jpg

• 3 months later...

This is my 89 swb. 2wd.Comanche Daily driver.4.0  5speed.Bought it in Oct.2013. 1owner 105.000 miles.No rust no dents just a few dings.Since I got it I've added a 3" lift(front) 2" (rear) 30x9.50 Hancook all terrains. TJ Wheels.Flomaster exaust, New gas tank.New rear bumper.Re did the headliner,New sterio. Basic maintainence under the hood.Future plans are 4wd.paint and body and basic upgrading where needed.This was a $1.000 truck.I have around $2.000 in it now.Love this truck.Image Not Found

• 2 months later...

Pulled home a couple days ago my '88 Comanche Chief 4x4 inline 6, 30/35, Puegeot 10/5, 231 tc, with 211,xxx miles looks to be completely stock. Needs a battery and maybe a radiator hose or water pump. Hasn't run in over a year so I have some questions for yall in order to turn her over and here her run. Posted some Q's in the tech forum. oh yeah $200 bucks got her bought!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

New to the club, wanted to say hello and share my new to me, 1986 Comanche X long bed 88,000 original miles, single owner, garage kept. Lots of factory options like skid plates, the roll bar, has an interesting alpine cassette head unit that sounds pretty good with the new speakers I put in.

2.5L, 5spd, 4x4

Not my first jeep though, had two xj's before finding and winning this beauty on eBay!

After picking it up in Chicago almost back to indy stopping for gas.

• 1 month later...

Picked up another Comanche the other day. She's a 1988 4.0L manual. Got a little bit of lift (exact height not sure yet) on 31x10.5 tires. Couple rust spots here and there but all-in-all a straight body and very clean inside and out. 

Only problems I'm aware of so far are the wipers not working. Also got some of death wobble at 55MPH so I'll be starting a Fixing Death Wobble thread shortly  :crossfingers:.  Stand by! 

• 1 month later...

here's my 87 long bed, 4.0, 2wd, auto rusty, free truck, it has been passed between me and my dad for longer then i can remember, just hit 280,000 and i think this truck is going to be a Archers brothers project. looking at a 2wd ax15 doing my own suspension and haveing some fun with it. Also hope to make it my bike hauler, i do some track days with an older bike, thought it would be different. Here is our xj so you don't think I'm against 4wd's, it is getting ready for new springs all the way around and some bigger tires.