Introduce your Comanche...

Pete M

Hey Guys!

Been a fan of the Comanche Club for a couple years but just never found the time to post.

I had a life changing event back in December that totally changed my way of thinking, time to slow down and have a little fun!

Here a some pictures of my rigs:

My 1988 Metric ton Pioneer, mostly stock, DD

Hoping to lift it this summer.

My toy, 1993 Cherokee sport with a coupla mods

The one that followed me home (literately)

Just picked this up last week, 1986 Comanche X

Got big plans for this one!

Its in much better shape than my 88 as long as your not looking at the 2.8 in it :ack:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Here is my 89 Comanche Pioneer. As it sits it is 2wd with a blown Renix and the column shift and bench seat. I am accumulating parts and plan to do the 97+ conversion for better cooling options and 4x4conversion with a 5.5" Long arm lift and high steer steering setup. It has very little rust on it as it was originally from Colorado. It already had the Comanche club sticker on it when i bought it:) so I had to check out the link! Glad I found this forum. It will be a ton of help in the future. Call me weird, but i kinda like the old Pioneer Stickers. I hate to see em go. Line-x to keep it rust proof in the rust belt (missouri) is top priority.

More pics can be viewed here:

been the owner of a 94 cherokee for a while

got the comanche bug and found this 91 4.0 auto 2wd had a bad motor only rust was a little in the passenger floor board

so begun to strip it

pretty much where I'm at today finally get it running today purrs like a kitten... I need to weld a new trackbar mount for the axle to run my OTK steering then its off to get a rear drive shaft made

• 2 months later...

New to this forum, I usually play with xj's and cj's but have had a hankering to get one of these cool little trucks.

I bought an all original '86 I4 2wd Auto from someone who passed away before he could finish it. I have a feeling it will be a bit more of a project than originally thought, as usual... He bought at the dealership, drove it for 10 years before the head gasket let go. Things got out of control as he decided to pull the motor and have it completely rebuilt. Dash is missing as he was planning some kind of custom dash with volvo boat guages. He sourced all the 4x4 components with the exception of the front axle (diff& trans), rebuilt the rear end, all new brakes, lines, etc... The list goes on. The truck is in excellent running condition - besides the missing dash and no paint.

First step is to have it prepped and painted (drab) so I can drive it for the winter and pick away at the 4wd conversion. I saw a wee little np207 in the pile so I might be looking for some better components we will see. Will start a build thread later once I figure out what I have. Ideally I want to keep the swap simple and keep the auto trans, will have to do some more research one I get it in the driveway tomorrow.

Not planning to build a wheeler out of this one... yet.

I am in Nanaimo so a shout out to any islanders, I might be needing some parts yo...

~ws

169207_vcuxyhuklz.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone. I've been on the forum for a short time now, just been doing a bit of reading. Figured it was time I introduced myself as a first post, as I am going to be on here quite a bit now.

The name's Jacob Ahlborn. I am a Mechanical Engineering student at Michigan Tech University. I DD an 06 Grand Cherokee, and currently wheel a 94 Cherokee

So, since the body on my Cherokee is in pretty rough shape, I wanted to swap the front 3-link suspension from my cherokee over to a comanche and start from scratch. Then I rolled the Cherokee...

So the idea of a comanche build has sped up. I am now sitting with an 88 Comanche shell, a junk Cherokee for parts, and the hopes of finding a wrecked 97+ Cherokee to do that swap. I want to build something that is really clean and DD-able on weekends. As I have a limited budget and want to do things right, this build may take a while. I will actually start a build thread on here once I get a decent way into it. For now, here are some pictures of what I have.

• 1 month later...

Nice! I've thought long and hard about doing a camo paint job, and always somehow manage to talk myself out of it... Well done!

I appreciate that. The way I figure, if you've got a nice coat of paint already, don't bother, but if it's startin to fade or chip, strip it down and go crazy with black brown and green, haha. 

Here's a few more, thought it'd be appropriate to have a few off road: 

Yeah, I've got some fairly major rust re-repairs planned for the summer (bondo falling out of rockers...) which may or may not result in new paint. The dark blue I've got is kinda starting to grow on me, though... My biggest concern is that I've never really been big on standing out too much. On the other hand, that's not an issue with properly done camouflage, now, is it? ;)

Yeah, I've got some fairly major rust re-repairs planned for the summer (bondo falling out of rockers...) which may or may not result in new paint. The dark blue I've got is kinda starting to grow on me, though... My biggest concern is that I've never really been big on standing out too much. On the other hand, that's not an issue with properly done camouflage, now, is it? ;)

That's funny, mine was dark blue originally. Where I live, you certainly don't stand out with camo, haha. I almost always have issues finding it in a parking lot. Unless it's by itself in a well lit area, your eyes will just skip over it, the camo does a great job of removing the silhouette. The easiest way to find it is to look for the 102" whip antenna. Something to bear in mind if you do go through with the paint job.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have been wanting to scratch the MJ itch for years.  After several XJ's and my last WJ, which I sold in order to pick up an MJ.  It is an 89 4.0, 2wd, 5spd, and it runs like a top.  I picked it up from the original owners family.  I drove it from Midvale,UT up Parleys Canyon into Evanston WY after it has been sitting for months.

Here sits Stewey:

2zi2brc.jpg

2mph440.jpg

I have removed the rotted exhaust and replaced with Magnaflow super 44 and tip, a good tune up, and picked up some XJ buckets.  Currently sitting awaiting on the headliner to be reinstalled.

My idea is to convert to 4x4 and basically the same setup as my old XJ:

974fwm.jpg

It's March the 25th in Wyoming and we have gotten snow everyday on my 6 days off from work, so this will be a quick summer job to convert and prep.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...