Introduce your Comanche...

Pete M

My newly acquired "toy".

Specs: '88, 4.0L, 5-speed, short-bed, 3:55 gearing, D35 rear axle with Detroit True Track locker :hmm: . Originally an AW-4 tranny, then changed to a Puke Goat, now has an AX-15.

Two 9,000 pound wenches: a Mile Marker and an X9: one attached to the front bumper, which is designed for it, the other attached directly to the frame in the bed.

267K miles on it. Has a three inch lift in the front, none in the back :nuts:. It has four (plus a spare) Goodyear MT/R 31's with...wait for it....Kevlar sidewalls. :D One plus of buying from an owner who works at Goodyear. :banana:

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are those seats out of?

If I remember right, the guy I bought it from took them out of a '95 XJ. When my dad first saw a picture of the interior he couldn't get over wondering how the guy had hooked up the E-brake. :shake:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everybody, I'm new to the forums. Just wanted to share my 1991 Comanche.

I bought it last summer with 68,000 miles on it. Had a few small issues to work out with sensors but, now it is running like a dream. Recently had it painted and new wheels. Let me know what you think. Joe

P.S. My 1981 Jeep CJ5 pics coming soon...

my names cad or stamp (i answer to both). wanted an mj since i got into xjs finally picked this one up wrecked and having sat for years . i brought her back to life the interior is kinda ratty and the electrical is a nightmare . but that was expected

and now shes mostly flat black. fender flareless. and about to be cut fenders sitting on 33s still stock height.

2 inch budget boost is next .

not too sure about all its options . i know it has the metric ton package thats about all i can tell you about it though besides the fact that its an 87

Nice Comanche Joe, of course I'm kinda partial to white :rotf:

Stamp, looks like you got a good start on bringing your Manche back to life! :thumbsup:

Welcome to you both! You have found a great site with lots of good people willing to help whenever they can. jamminz.gif

• 3 weeks later...

1988 4.0 5spd orig BA/10 197,000 miles and going strong... original interior, cluster upgrade, original paint,. Rustys 4 1/2 lift 33/10.50/15 BFG KM2

Cold air intake, TB spacer, Flow master 40 series

Hello everyone, i am new here. Just pickup up an 88 MJ 4cyl 5speed last weekend to turn in to a daily driver. It needs some work and it has already begun but there is still alot to do. I will post up the build in the build section. First alittle about me iv been in to jeeps for quite some time i had my first wrangler at 14 and am now 20. This is my first mj/xj though i am familiar to them as my brother had an xj for awhile. here's some pictures of the vehicles of my family and my own.

First is my brothers xj

This is my jeep being pulled by my current daily driver, i plan on making this just my tow rig.

Finally the new MJ (well new to me)

Hey guys,

My name is Jason

Been on here awhile and guess I have yet to post up here and introduce my MJ properly. It is my 4th Comanche I have owned.

The basics....90 Eliminator, with 99 XJ exterior/interior conversion. D44 rear, 30 front locked at both ends with Detriots. Chromo's f/r as well. 4.7 stroker...Keith Black forged pistons, Harland Sharp rockers, port/polish, etc, etc. 35's held in place by a Rockcrawler long arm, and spring over rear.

Hey guys,

My name is Jason

Been on here awhile and guess I have yet to post up here and introduce my MJ properly. It is my 4th Comanche I have owned.

The basics....90 Eliminator, with 99 XJ exterior/interior conversion. D44 rear, 30 front locked at both ends with Detriots. Chromo's f/r as well. 4.7 stroker...Keith Black forged pistons, Harland Sharp rockers, port/polish, etc, etc. 35's held in place by a Rockcrawler long arm, and spring over rear.

AHHHHHHHHH, i love that rig. Saw it for sale a while back. Are you the one who built it? Thats one sick MJ dude! comanche.gif

Hey guys,

My name is Jason

Very well done MJ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AHHHHHHHHH, i love that rig. Saw it for sale a while back. Are you the one who built it? Thats one sick MJ dude! comanche.gif

HI, New guy here checking in from central Mn.

I picked up my truck because the price was right, not real sure if i was going to keep it. After looking it over, It's a very neet truck. It has lot's of problems but also has lot's of potential! It has pretty bad frame rot on the passenger side, leaking rear main and the tilt pins are shot in the steering colum.... ( and a laundry list of other small issues ).

I believe it's an '89. It's a 2X4 with the 4.0-5spd. comanche.gif

Image Not Found

• 1 month later...

This is my first MJ build but I'm no stranger to XJ's. I've been around them since 84'

My son recently totaled our beloved "Big Red", a 1996 red XJ "Country" edition. He has always wanted a MJ so I got a great deal on this one from FitchVa. Fitch had big plans for this Jeep but not much time with his new job so he passed it on to us. It was in good hands but our plans are different from Fitch's.

Its a 89, 4.0, AW4, NP231, short bed, 162k

Our plans are a resto-mod, which include;

First off, pull the 4.0 and clean it and freshen up the gaskets, it leaks from every possible source!

New interior(I need a headliner board?) most of it will come from the XJ

Fresh fluids

Open cooling system from our wrecked XJ

Clean up the RENIX vacuum mess!

96 dual diaphragm booster from the wrecked XJ

3" OME/RE front lift from the wrecked XJ

3" HellCreek rear packs

Chryco 29 spline 8.25 (SUA flipped perches), freshen up the CAD D-30 with new seals and u-joints

31's from the wrecked XJ

Skid plates from the XJ

Spray in bedliner

Shiny new black/silver paint, XJ "Country" theme

Here it is!

I think that's the first MJ I've seen with the newer XJ bumper on it, but the older fenders and header panel.

We stuck that on there to drive it home. The bumper was on our 96 XJ that is now a parts jeep. I have a set of 97+ flares that we will run on the front to match the bumper

RIP Big Red

She was totaled

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. My son and I had been looking for a small 4x4 to replace his 2000 Ranger 2WD. We had looked at Comanches on the web a few months ago but had not found anything. Last Thursday I got home early from work and saw a newspaper dealership ad for a " 91 Jeep Comache $988" (mispelled). I called and talked to the salesman and he said it had just been traded in, 4x4 with a 5 speed manual, needs 2 tires but drives well. So I drove 75 miles to check it out. It was a decent looking white short bed 4x4, 4.0 six, 5 speed with non-working AC, 2 small rust holes in each floorboard, a few spots of surface rust and a nice short square tube rear bumper. The body was pretty straight with faded original paint. The clutch seemed to go way down with a short engagement but it did run OK. Had been lifted about 3". So I offered $700 and they accepted. Whole thing was $941 with tax, title and license.