Padlock for brake & clutch pedals

robfg67

Many years ago, I had a padlock with a long shackle that would fit snugly arround the brake & clutch pedals. This would make it impossible to engage the clutch pedal without also pulling the brake pedal with it.

I can't find one that fits correctly anywhere and I've tried eBay & the big box hardwarwe stores.

Does anyone do this? Does anyone have a source?

Eagle, I'm talking about a padlock with a long shackle-not the type of contraption that mounts to the sterring wheel shaft:

The length of the shackle needs to be 3" and the width needs to be 1" to fit around the pedals.

I looked at the Grainger page-but no luck. I guess I will need to visit a locksmith shop.

This is just cheap security becuase the insurance value I would receive vs. the amount of coin I've dropped into her is HUGE!

• 2 weeks later...

I welded 2 pieces of chain link on to the arms, so that they do not touch each other, but you can put alock through them. (Of course, I still think that the 208 lbs. of Rott/Akita sitting in the bed is the best theft prevention device to date.... :D ).

I think that I would want a theft prevention device that stops the would be thief from using the gas pedal. b/c if he really wanted to take off then he would put the mj and everyone else in danger w/o brakes and/or use the handbrake.

• 5 weeks later...
fuel pump cut-off switch is real easy to wire up considering there is a ballast resistor just kinda hangin out on the firewall... hide anywhere and ride

Totally true. :thumbsup: But for those who aren't electrically skilled, the lock is quick and simple.

A pretty common mod on XJs was to pull up the driver's side door sill (the plastic peice on the inside) and split open the wiring bundle inside, cut the fuel pump wire and splice a little more in, then put a switch on the side of the B pillar near the floor. Then it won't run at all unless the switch is in the correct position.

My XJ has a butt-splice in that wiring bundle (a moron mechanic hacked it), and I despise butt-splices anywhere that they can get wet, so I might pull the wires and put a switch in mine. Even though nobody would ever bother to steal it.

A pretty common mod on XJs was to pull up the driver's side door sill (the plastic peice on the inside) and split open the wiring bundle inside, cut the fuel pump wire and splice a little more in, then put a switch on the side of the B pillar near the floor. Then it won't run at all unless the switch is in the correct position.

My XJ has a butt-splice in that wiring bundle (a moron mechanic hacked it), and I despise butt-splices anywhere that they can get wet, so I might pull the wires and put a switch in mine. Even though nobody would ever bother to steal it.

Anyone know which wire it is to cut and splice in a switch???

• 7 years later...

So yeah, of course I checked and the XJ is different, so there isn't really a lot of point...  I still could, but the wire colour is NOT the same.

But the way Oizarod115 said is super easy too, you just need a little more wire to get to where you want to put the switch.  This is on an 88 4.0L, I only have 88/89 stuff around, but I do not believe this part of the wiring changed on 4.0L trucks.

Ballast resistor is here normally:

Image Not Found

And here's a terrible How-to diagram:

Image Not Found

If somebody wants to see how it is actually done by splicing into the loom under the driver's doorsill area, like I said, I can show you on an XJ.  The wire on it is Pink/black though, rather than Orange on a MJ.

You're right Dirty - that is a terrible diagram.  :rotf:

A good switch to use is the highly visible dash POWER/COMFORT switch if you have one. Hard wire it into the POWER mode, then run the ballast resistor cutoff switch through the switch. The switch is so obvious a would-be thief would never think of trying it.