for no particular reason...

Pete M

Sahara was on last night and the thought occurred to me to grab the camera and see if I could snap a shot of the burning "MJ". Well, here it is:

huh....never looked at it that closly......what the heck is going on with that thing? purpose built movie prop?

My guess is that they fabbed it up to look like the MJ they were using earlier because they didn't want to burn the fully functional truck. It's not such a good idea to burn up a prop, cough I mean the star of the movie :D , if you might need it later. They could have even shot the scenes out of order. :dunno:

My guess is that they fabbed it up to look like the MJ they were using earlier because they didn't want to burn the fully functional truck. It's not such a good idea to burn up a prop, cough I mean the star of the movie :D , if you might need it later. They could have even shot the scenes out of order. :dunno:

Usually scenes are shot out of order. From a production standpoint it is impossbile to do it any other way, unless you wish to devote a huge amount of time to it.

As a side note, the movie 'cliffhanger' features a bell 205 helicopter as a search and rescue machine. There is a scene where it is wrecked, and winds up hanging off a cliff. The 'prop' for that scene is definatly not a bell 205, as I am rather intimate with them. Why? Well, the scenes would have been shot out of order (the movie was shot in a LOT of different locations) and a 205 is a pricey peice of equipment to wreck. Even a wrecked 205 to use as a prop is pricey. Which brings me to the movie terminator 2, which has a UH-1H airframe in the background in a couple scenes (as a wreck). They can do that because UH-1Hs aren't worth much, parts or whole, and it's a relatively high budget movie. Not to mention they never ruined the airframe (it actually looked better than some of the ones I've worked on or seen rebuilt, but it still looked like hel to the untrained eye).

Okay, I got off topic.

It's an okay adventure flick about a couple guys looking for a lost confederate ship that end up searching for the source of a poison that's spreading across Africa. Or something like that.

More importantly, the MJ comes in somewhere in the middle when the doctor and her caravan head across the desert in a hoodless MJ and a fullsize Cherokee.

I got the DVR to record it today and I'll see if I can zoom through to the MJ and snap some pics of the truck itself.

It's an okay adventure flick about a couple guys looking for a lost confederate ship that end up searching for the source of a poison that's spreading across Africa. Or something like that.

More importantly, the MJ comes in somewhere in the middle when the doctor and her caravan head across the desert in a hoodless MJ and a fullsize Cherokee.

I set the DVR to record it today and I'll see if I can zoom through to the MJ and snap some pics of the truck itself.

I got it on File on my PC... I can take snapshots too if i get to watching it this evening...

SW2

I set the DVR to record it today and I'll see if I can zoom through to the MJ and snap some pics of the truck itself.

WRONG!! Its a horror flick and blasphemy!! Burning a Cherokee and in the image of a Comanche! ;)

Dang it. Well, the pics of the MJ in action will have to wait as I didn't press record in time to get those scenes, but I did catch something I've always wondered about and I have a new theory about the MJ stand-in.

In the scene leading up to the burning XJ, there was a wide angle shot where you could see most of the village. Sure enough, the XJ is there, not the MJ. The I snapped a shot of the burning SJ and compared it to a shot of the driving SJ seen earlier with the MJ. Sure enough, it's a different SJ. So my new theory is that it's possible that the village scene was shot at a different local than the earlier locations and that's the best they could do. Seems with all the money they blew on the flick they could have done a better job disguising the XJ... :D

Driving SJ:

Burning SJ: Notice the differences in side mirrors and light bar.

Nah, they use "disposable" vehicles for the destructive stuff.

Some of you must be fans of The A Team. There was one in which Colonel Decker's MPs were hot on the heels of the Team in BJ's cherished van. Now, y'all remember, BJ's van has alloy rims. So they're roaring through some kind of southern swamp or bayou territory, and they come to a river. So in the best Joey Chitwood tradition, BJ floors it, jumps the van off the remains of a collapsed bridge, and comes down "safely" on the other side. The pursuing MP sedan, of course, attempts the same gravity-defying feat and lands squarely in the middle of the river.

However ... look closely at the van, and when it lands you can clearly see HUBCAPS popping off the wheels. And if you look more closely you'll see that it comes down a bit nose-heavy, and pretty well trashes both the front bumper (which does not look like the bumper on BJ's van) and the entire front suspension.

There's no question that the truck that made that jump only did it one time.

They typically have one or maybe two "good" vehicles they use for the close-up and normal shots, and then they use junks painted to look like the good one(s) for the destruction scenes.

Along those same lines.....

Who has seen the movie "Castaway"?

Well at the beginning of the movie you see his Jeep Cherokee.

Well he comes back years later and there it is.

Yet for the release date of the movie, his jeep was the wrong year.

He had a 1999+ jeep in 1996 or so. Maybe it was a 1997 that came early, but it had the 99+ flares and such off the XJ.

Thats been bugging me for years, speilberg really dropped the ball on that one.

1997 was the first year for the "new" Cherokee body style. Still a bit of a stretch, though. It wasn't an early, mid-year introduction. The '97 models hit the showrooms around September of 1996.

Along those same lines.....

Who has seen the movie "Castaway"?

Well at the beginning of the movie you see his Jeep Cherokee.

Well he comes back years later and there it is.

Yet for the release date of the movie, his jeep was the wrong year.

He had a 1999+ jeep in 1996 or so. Maybe it was a 1997 that came early, but it had the 99+ flares and such off the XJ.

Thats been bugging me for years, speilberg really dropped the ball on that one.

I caught that the first time I saw the movie. I'm pointing and yelling at the TV. Wife thinks I'm crazy. I do the same thing when they screw up with guns in shows.