Boston - Stuff to See and Do?

SuperWade2

I'm going next month for work for a week and just wanted any opinions on stuff I shouldn't miss...Restaurants, Sights, etc, etc. I've never really been 'Back East' (although I was born in South Carolina, and lived in Rhode Island, but don't' really remember them at all).

We are staying in the Back Bay neighborhood (Westin Copley Plaza)... I have a few work outings planned throughout the week already, and won't have a car, so I don't expect to make it out of the City... Working mostly during the day but have some free time and a few free evenings.

Already have Tickets to a Ball Game @ Fenway on Friday night, but looking for suggestions on other stuff.

Thanks

Wade

SC ftw jamminz.gif where did you live?

Was born in Charleston, but only lived there a year or so (Dad was Navy).. Moved to Newport, Rhode Inland for about 3 years and then back to Lincoln, Nebraska until I was 24 and the grew up, got married and moved out to Cali, about 10 years ago.

If you can get to the U.S.S. Constitution, it's worthwhile. But it ain't near your hotel.

While in Boston, at least once you should dine at "Legal Seafood," the Boston area's best seafood restaurant. There are a few around, and the clam chowder is to die for.

Who is "we"? If you'll have kids along, or if "we" is you and your significant other and you like a bit of fun, look into the Boston Duck Tour. They run out of the lobby of the Prudential Center, which shouldn't be far from your hotel. It's a fairly conventional bus tour around the historic center of Boston -- except that the buses are old WW2 amphibious landing craft, and at one point in the tour they drive into the Charles River and show you a view that none of the other tours can match.

The historic center of the city is Boston Common. It's a big park, basically, but the historic New England cities and towns all grew up around a village "green," so it's more than just a park. And the actual Cheers is right near the Common.

Fanueil Hall marketplace is the old Customs House complex, converted into trendy shops and nosh joints. It doesn't do much for me but my wife enjoyed it when we visited Boston last year.

And if you're into baseball, don't forget Fenwick Park, one of the last of the old baseball stadiums, steeped in baseball history. [Oops - never mind -- just re-read your post]

On a Friday or Saturday evening, duck across the Charles River to Cambridge and hang out around Harvard Square. In the summer it's a great street scene, with musicians on many of the corners (and from various corners of the world). If you look closely, while walking around Harvard Square you can see the windows of the infamous "Dewey Cheat'em & Howe" law firm made famous by the Car Talk guys (the Tappet Brothers). Click & Clack hail from Cambridge and that's where their show is produced.

If you can get to the U.S.S. Constitution, it's worthwhile. But it ain't near your hotel.

While in Boston, at least once you should dine at "Legal Seafood," the Boston area's best seafood restaurant. There are a few around, and the clam chowder is to die for.

Who is "we"? If you'll have kids along, or if "we" is you and your significant other and you like a bit of fun, look into the Boston Duck Tour. They run out of the lobby of the Prudential Center, which shouldn't be far from your hotel. It's a fairly conventional bus tour around the historic center of Boston -- except that the buses are old WW2 amphibious landing craft, and at one point in the tour they drive into the Charles River and show you a view that none of the other tours can match.

The historic center of the city is Boston Common. It's a big park, basically, but the historic New England cities and towns all grew up around a village "green," so it's more than just a park. And the actual Cheers is right near the Common.

Fanueil Hall marketplace is the old Customs House complex, converted into trendy shops and nosh joints. It doesn't do much for me but my wife enjoyed it when we visited Boston last year.

And if you're into baseball, don't forget Fenwick Park, one of the last of the old baseball stadiums, steeped in baseball history. [Oops - never mind -- just re-read your post]

On a Friday or Saturday evening, duck across the Charles River to Cambridge and hang out around Harvard Square. In the summer it's a great street scene, with musicians on many of the corners (and from various corners of the world). If you look closely, while walking around Harvard Square you can see the windows of the infamous "Dewey Cheat'em & Howe" law firm made famous by the Car Talk guys (the Tappet Brothers). Click & Clack hail from Cambridge and that's where their show is produced.

Thanks Eagle,

"We", is me and co-workers...we have about 400 sales folks from around the world, and more directly 'we" is going and me, a gal from my office (good friend) and an Engineer from Colo (also a good guy who I helped support other meetings, including New Zealand a few years ago) will be out supporting the IT side of the meeting... No Significant others, no kids...

As far as seafood, I'm a meat and potatoes Nebraska Kid (regardless of where I was born)... if it swims, or lives in the water, I DON'T eat it, period... well I can eat some shrimp if it's so ridiculously spicy with Cajun seasoning, but that's about it...(which is near blasphemy since I live less than 10 minutes from the Pacific ocean)...

You could go and buy this Comanche off of Bostons craigslist while your there. :brows:

Just a side note, I've notice whenever I travel now, I do check craigslist where I'm heading.

Back to the thread. :popcorn:

You have to go see the cheers bar... http://www.cheersboston.com/

Coming back home from a winter in VT I hitched a ride to Boston and stayed there two days.. My buddy took me to this complex of band rooms where I met Dickey Barret and Joe G. of The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.. then got hammered and slept pretty much the whole bus ride back to NC.. Alls I really remember was the place smelled like dead fish,, esp at the bus depo the following day... I think it was right at the bay.... It was a long time ago,, plus kinda foggy in my mind, :chillin: but I do remember thinking the place has a old town flavor to it.. alot of old brick, and some stone paved roads maybe..

Born & raised in Boston and currently live about 30 miles outside the city now! This is a great time of year to visit.

Per usual, Eagle is right-on with his suggestions. I would strongly recommend the Duck Boat tour & the USS Constitution museum.

I think Faneuil Hall is overrated, but to each his own.

If you were a fan of the TV show Cheers, the bar that inspired the show is located near the Boston Common. It’s called the Bull and Finch Pub.

Legal Seafood is very good but a little stuffy. The Barking Crab on Sleeper Street is a lively place located right on the waterfront and is accessible by train. You MUST visit the North End for dinner-a great scene at night and loaded with excellent Italian restaurants and pastry shops.

Lastly, Fenway Park offers a behind-the-scene tour that is pretty cool.

Let me know what your interests are and I will give you more suggestions.

X2 on North end. Some of the best and yet most unique food ive ever had. You can just walk through an look at the menus and prices in the window and choose which is in the right price range and right food.

X2 on Duck Tours as well.

Be sure to check out the MIT museum.

The whole city is scattered with historical landmarks.

don't know if this is in your range, but if you can, take a trip to Concord and visit Walden Pond.

I'm going next month for work for a week and just wanted any opinions on stuff I shouldn't miss...Restaurants, Sights, etc, etc. I've never really been 'Back East' (although I was born in South Carolina, and lived in Rhode Island, but don't' really remember them at all).

We are staying in the Back Bay neighborhood (Westin Copley Plaza)... I have a few work outings planned throughout the week already, and won't have a car, so I don't expect to make it out of the City... Working mostly during the day but have some free time and a few free evenings.

Already have Tickets to a Ball Game @ Fenway on Friday night, but looking for suggestions on other stuff.

Thanks

Wade

I'm headed out to Gloucester MA in two weeks or so, when will you be up there?

• 1 month later...

Well, I got back last night... didn't do as much as we would have liked... I did get to 2 Red Sox games at Fenway... one with great tix vs. the Yankee's and then the extra innings game vs. the A's on Friday night (that we left in the 11th inning, so we didn't see them win).

We did the Freedom Trail, saw Harvard, Went up in the Prudential tower up top, the Boston Commons, Had a Beer at Cheers (Bull&Finch)... Didn't get the Duck Tour in with the work schedule...Saw all the fancy shops and junk and found a couple decent places to eat (one Mexican place that was to DIE for)... NO SEAFOOD was consumed in any fashion... :D

Was a good trip (a little long, 10 day)... Sure Glad to be home... East Coast folks are sure "different" than us left coasters over here... not saying good or bad (maybe a little of each), just "different"...

SW2

It was quiet with you not around. Image Not Found

I don't see that changing in the near term... I accepted a promotion (going from an individual contributor to managing 7 people working on Global IT Projects) at my work that is going to keep my pretty occupied for a while... Not sure that I will have the same level of "Free Time" to dedicate to the CC Forum and my MJ... I'll poke in every now and then, but can't "live" on here any more.

SW2

It was quiet with you not around. Image Not Found

I don't see that changing in the near term... I accepted a promotion (going from an individual contributor to managing 7 people working on Global IT Projects) at my work that is going to keep my pretty occupied for a while... Not sure that I will have the same level of "Free Time" to dedicate to the CC Forum and my MJ... I'll poke in every now and then, but can't "live" on here any more.

SW2

And your count was gettin to that first thousand too. Well congreats on your promotion anyways. :cheers:

:hmm: I've been here for 2 years, and just broke the 1000 post the other night :D

Guest I don't ask enough questions :roll:

Anywho........Good to see you back #2 :waving:

Sounds like you had a nice business trip to Boston :brows:

And congrats on your promotion :clapping:

I just hope you don't forget us MJ fanatics over here :cheers:

Well, I got back last night... didn't do as much as we would have liked... I did get to 2 Red Sox games at Fenway... one with great tix vs. the Yankee's and then the extra innings game vs. the A's on Friday night (that we left in the 11th inning, so we didn't see them win).

We did the Freedom Trail, saw Harvard, Went up in the Prudential tower up top, the Boston Commons, Had a Beer at Cheers (Bull&Finch)... Didn't get the Duck Tour in with the work schedule...Saw all the fancy shops and junk and found a couple decent places to eat (one Mexican place that was to DIE for)... NO SEAFOOD was consumed in any fashion... :D

Was a good trip (a little long, 10 day)... Sure Glad to be home... East Coast folks are sure "different" than us left coasters over here... not saying good or bad (maybe a little of each), just "different"...

SW2

uhh, i know you were there 10 days, but seems like you made the most of it for sure. congrats on the promotion too.

and, i wouldn't exactly call people from Bahston "east coasters", i don't think they would either. over here we call them "northeners", and a few other choice nicknames LOL.