The MJ screw/bolt size thread. Help gather the info...

Anybody have the specs for the caliper bolts on a 90 4x4 swb? I have read thread on here that was over this, but my bolts are totally different. The heads on these bolts are a tiny 12point head, 5/16 socket which nobody seems to carry.  I want to replace them with a plain jane hex.

ftpiercecracker

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5/16 12 point should be readily available, although it is more likely it is a metric 8mm which is about identical in size. I have a few of them.<br /><br />IIRC stock should be 7mm (or was it 9) Allen on older ones (pre 90?) and 10mm hex head on newer ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Crankshaft position sensor is M7X1.0, but good luck finding that somewhere other than the dealer since it's an uncommon size, and half of the shank is an unthreaded shoulder, to precisely center the sensor. If you lose 'em, I found out that big conical head Phillips screws of the right size work perfectly to self-center the sensor. Found them in my bucket-O'-bolts from when I worked at a body shop, and IIRC, they're for a door jamb striker, can't remember what car though!!!

Anyone know the size of the bolt holes about the middle of the bottom of the block just above the oil pan. I have a oil pan skid that bolts there. Can’t figure out what the thread is. Want  to run a tap through to chase but there’s too munch junk in the hole. Don’t want to screw it up. 

30 minutes ago, 1989commanche said:

Anyone know the size of the bolt holes about the middle of the bottom of the block just above the oil pan. I have a oil pan skid that bolts there. Can’t figure out what the thread is. Want  to run a tap through to chase but there’s too munch junk in the hole. Don’t want to screw it up. 

you should probably post that in the Tech forum so more eyes will see it. :L:  and a pic might be handy.   be sure to bring the answer back though so it's in the proper thread :D  

22 minutes ago, Pete M said:

you should probably post that in the Tech forum so more eyes will see it. :L:  and a pic might be handy.   be sure to bring the answer back though so it's in the proper thread :D  

I guess I just need to pull the knock sensor out and measure that. It is in one of the holes I need to use anyway. It should be the same as the other side I would think. 

On 8/23/2020 at 9:47 PM, 1989commanche said:

I guess I just need to pull the knock sensor out and measure that. It is in one of the holes I need to use anyway. It should be the same as the other side I would think. 

Well I was wrong. Both bolts are different sizes. The one on the passenger side ended up being a regular 3/8 coarse thread bolt. The driver side is the knock sensor. It’s a finer thread and a little larger. I think m10-1.25.

64751659-5F27-47EC-AB89-3ABB7E26BB94.jpeg

A600DD41-873C-421D-9D42-4069E7822ED1.jpeg

• 2 years later...