Pete M

What to do if your hood release cable breaks

It's whatever garbage my parents make... Folgers most likely. 

Surprisingly this thing still has all the factory rubbers in place, meaning it's incredibly tricky to feed anything up to grab the release rods. I managed to get a coat hanger on it but couldn't get it to release, and I'm getting sick of laying on my back in the snow. At least it's sunny out so I could see what I'm doing! I've got one of the headlight buckets out and going for the latch bolts next.

Might be a good idea to attach a braided wire cable or similar to the hood latch and let it hang down behind the bumper somewhere for easy access next time it breaks.

Success!

zqbRhC1.jpg

So it seems as though the driver's side latch is sticky, (it's not like it hasn't been off the road for two years... Lol) and that's the problem. As soon as I got the bolts out i tried the release handle again and it popped the passenger side open. The latch will release if I push hard on it so I'm looking to find something to tie onto it as a secondary release. Just in case and all. 

The aggravating thing about this is I'm ten feet away from a heated garage... That I can't use cause my parents have turned it into extra storage. 

12 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

....so I'm looking to find something to tie onto it as a secondary release. Just in case and all.

If you come up with something post it up. Will help everyone.  :beerchug:

The trick is getting it to pull sideways, but not interfere with opening the hood. The more I look at it the less easy it seems. I sprayed down the sticky latch with wd40 – strongest stuff my parents have on hand – and it's working a bit better, but still not great. I may just leave that side off for now and see how it goes. 

4 hours ago, slydawg3 said:

I googled my problem when the hood wouldn't open.It sent me here,and you nailed it! Thank's

that's what we're here for :L:   sharing the important MJ knowledge.