What to do if your hood release cable breaks

It's whatever garbage my parents make... Folgers most likely. 

Surprisingly this thing still has all the factory rubbers in place, meaning it's incredibly tricky to feed anything up to grab the release rods. I managed to get a coat hanger on it but couldn't get it to release, and I'm getting sick of laying on my back in the snow. At least it's sunny out so I could see what I'm doing! I've got one of the headlight buckets out and going for the latch bolts next.

Success!

zqbRhC1.jpg

So it seems as though the driver's side latch is sticky, (it's not like it hasn't been off the road for two years... Lol) and that's the problem. As soon as I got the bolts out i tried the release handle again and it popped the passenger side open. The latch will release if I push hard on it so I'm looking to find something to tie onto it as a secondary release. Just in case and all. 

The aggravating thing about this is I'm ten feet away from a heated garage... That I can't use cause my parents have turned it into extra storage. 

The trick is getting it to pull sideways, but not interfere with opening the hood. The more I look at it the less easy it seems. I sprayed down the sticky latch with wd40 – strongest stuff my parents have on hand – and it's working a bit better, but still not great. I may just leave that side off for now and see how it goes. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Joined this unfortunate club about 20 min ago.... I went to pull hood release and cable snapped. Fortunately hood released so it’s open. Now can I replace the entire assembly? Cable snapped at handle. Is this pressed in? Or is handle part of system? Lastly can I buy assembly at auto parts store or is it a JY part? Thanks6F947F03-78C3-4EFD-BB7D-7F1764498400.jpeg.883b343cb1dea630dfd9625e579c83c3.jpeg

CB1D480B-2F6C-43FB-BC80-3C62B23DA5B7.jpeg

I’m going to head to the JY to see if I can find a replacement. On the factory cable the word ‘Hood’ is embossed into the handle. The new replacement is just printed on handle. Found this video that shows how to replace. Pretty straight forward.

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2006 at 6:57 PM, Pete M said:

Way ahead of you. :D

I'm going to do hood pins on mine as well. My hood is a little bent from being in a wreck about a year ago, and some of the fenders, and it cracked the plastic piece where my windshield wipers mount. I also figure that it'll be easier to be able to remove the hood latch, because I frequently have to lift my hood.

Hey I know this is an older thread but for future readers here is what I did. Took 10 mins.

When the handle comes off in your hand don't fret. Grab 2 pairs of vice grips, a razor blade, a pair of diagonal cutters and a pair of pliers.

Cut back the black vinyl covering about 3 inches.

The outside protective cable is a twisted strand cable. lightly grab towards the back with a pair of vice grips. Leave an inch gap or so and grab the front with another pair.

Twist in opposite directions which will birdcage the wires.

Snip the individual strands with diagonal cutters exposing the inner cable.

Pull on cable with pliers to release hood.

Your done! and you didn't have to take anything apart. no cutting into the hood. No reaching up under the truck.

Hope this is useful to someone

20190726_143838.jpg

• 6 months later...

Just like Ant_mant explained, cut the cable, it's the easiest way.  I've done it a few times now and it's always worked.  

Today I had a headlight out, popped the hood to check grounds before pulling it off and...

IMG_20200219_180954.jpg.40c0c2c4e364c6b9f54ba80a04eb886b.jpg

5mins to take the kick panel off and pull the mount off the cable to expose the strands, grab with pliers and good to go.   Put the screws back into the sheetmetal to save for the replacement part later.

IMG_20200219_181015.jpg.f9136e0e3d460835388d165030000066.jpg

If you don't care too much about looks, a  cheap fix is the cheapest pair of small vise grips you can find and just permanently leave them on the cable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/6/2020 at 3:10 AM, Comanchejess said:

my center latch got bent. I removed it and it's the absolute best modification I've made to my truck so far

All well and good until the hood flies open because you’ve got no secondary catch...

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 4:27 PM, 13 Legion said:

6F947F03-78C3-4EFD-BB7D-7F1764498400.jpeg.883b343cb1dea630dfd9625e579c83c3.jpeg

Does anyone know how to remove these plastic clips without breaking them? I need to replace my almost broken ones on my jeep. I have a spare hood with some of these in good shape that I would prefer to use vs buying new clips.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...