What to do if your hood release cable breaks

Depends on what went wrong. Did the center pivot mechanism stick? Did the cable stick? Did you rip the pull handle off? (like so many of us do. :( )

The cable started to stick and it became increasingly harder to pop the hood, then I installed a cowl induction hood and it wouldn’t open.

The installation of the cable mechanism to the new hood was identical to the original hood and I used all of the original equipment. So, I guess the cable began to fail…? It sure feels sticky when you pull on the handle.

• 7 months later...

Pete;

You saved my arse today with this post. Was putting on a new cowl hood, shifted the release cable rods etc. over, hooked everything back up, then slammed the hood. I forgot to pop-rivet the bellcrank on the new hood! :nuts: Of course the hood would not open..........

I oiled my cable when I had the hood open,like when doing an oil change. (hint hint)

The hood in the open position allows gravity to carry a drop or two of oil from my oilcan into the open end of the cable.

After the cable freed up I thought something else was wrong because the hood mechanism was so easy to pull. :banana:

As soon as I got my hood built and painted I was anxious to get it put back on and see how she looked. Bolted down the back hinges pulled the support rod out of the way and let it close. As soon as it clunked shut it dawned on me I didn't hook any of the hood cable stuff back up :fool: . I was lucky enough to be able to get my arm up and snag part of the release stuff on the hood and get it open after several strong minutes of foul language. :mad: I wish I would have found this sooner, i will attempt to store it in my brain somewhere for next time. Great info.

• 4 months later...

Well i finally got the hood open after about a week of sub-freezing temps. I just could not pull the latch cable hard enough.

I cleaned the dead lithium grease on about everything (with Gum Out and a rag) ont he mechanism and the only thing I had handy was some NAPA lock de-icer (that is mostly a graphite spray with some sort of solvent). Sprayed it up pretty good.

Everything moves freely right now but that could likely change.

I am washing the truck in a heated garage bay right now. Got my fingers crossed.

• 5 months later...

wow i am damn happy i found this post...i was on way to school today n when i got there went to pop hood...so I'm at school not about to leave n I'm definatlly just putting some hood pins in when i get home...its only and 800 dollar dd/trail rig/toy so why not make it look like and old hot rod with some girl getting hood pins!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Been using Dri-Slide on my motorcycle cables for years and tried it on the hood cable. It has a needle applicator that you can insert into the cable sheath and squirt it in until it flows out the other end. Can pull the hood release cable with two fingers now. Good stuff.

41-hXRE-WxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say thanks Pete for this write-up it was a god send. My jeep was stuck somewhere 20 miles away from the house with the oil cap off inside the hood cause the oil change shop didn't put it on tight enough >< but i went to close my hood came back with a new oil cap and the damn hood wouldnt open. Went home pissed off looked at this write-up and bada bing bada boom fixed in about 30 minutes :cheers:

• 1 year later...

had the same problem about a week ago. with it not shutting. pb blast and wirebrush (obviously) and close it with your hand a couple of times to make sure the mechanism is still actually functioning. when mine went i found out the spring had unwound itself. lucky for me i have a single latch in the center so i only had to do it once

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What to do if your cables breaks, kinda depends on where it breaks.

1) Handle breaks. Get out a pair of pliers. (Out of 10+ Jeeps, I have only had 1 handle break.).

2) At the hood hinge, pull harder, it may just be kinked. (If broken, continue to 3.) (This happened to my 90 XJ just 3 weeks ago, if the rubber-like pad is loose near the hood hinge, leave it alone, it may be keeping your cable from being crushed)

3) Anywhere else, reach as others have said, or start taking the fron panel off.