High beam "flash to pass" question

schardein

I am a member of a Facebook page for XJ Wagoneers (Jeep XJ Wagoneer).

Someone recently asked for help.  The "flash to pass" did not work in his 87 XJ Waggy.  I directed him to check the fuse, and his fuse box doesn't have the fuse, and there are no terminals in place in the fuse box to accept a fuse.  He also said the fuse spot wasn't marked.  My 91 XJ has a fuse marked "FL/PASS".

So then I checked an original 1987 Comanche owner's manual.  The flash to pass feature isn't mentioned.  And the fuse box diagram doesn't show a fuse in that position, nor does it show the "FL/PASS" marking.

So, was the flash to pass feature not available in 87?  If not, when did it start?  My 91 XJ and 91 MJ has it.

18 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

If I recall in my 89 technical service bulletin book. This feature started in 89.

Thanks.  That would line up with some of the comments on FB, someone with an 89 said it had it.

And just for the heck of it, I'll throw this out there.  The switches are all the same as far as I know.  All one would need to do is add one wire to Terminal #3 that was hot all the time, per this diagram.  I know it works because I added a YJ column to my CJ, and converted from the floor mounted dimmer switch to the one in the column, and added the flash to pass feature.

YJ Headlight dimmer switch pinout.png

23 minutes ago, schardein said:

Thanks.  That would line up with some of the comments on FB, someone with an 89 said it had it.

And just for the heck of it, I'll throw this out there.  The switches are all the same as far as I know.  All one would need to do is add one wire to Terminal #3 that was hot all the time, per this diagram.  I know it works because I added a YJ column to my CJ, and converted from the floor mounted dimmer switch to the one in the column, and added the flash to pass feature.

YJ Headlight dimmer switch pinout.png

This would be a worthwhile upgrade to add to our AMC Jeeps. I’ll look at the TSB too and see what it says. 

21 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

What is the point of flash to pass? And how does it work, like you just don’t pull the stalk all the way and the high beams come on until you let go?

Well on most modern cars you would pull it all the way back to you and the brights would come on and stay on until you let go or you would click it rapidly to signal to the person who has their signal on in the lane next to you on the free way to come on into your lane. Thats the idea behind it in the states at least. Most people use them to either flash that your brights are on or your being an arse. one of the two.

53 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

What is the point of flash to pass? And how does it work, like you just don’t pull the stalk all the way and the high beams come on until you let go?

Yes, even if you don't have your headlights on.  The point is to flash someone sleeping in the fast lane.  Or signal a semi-truck that has passed you that they are clear and can shift back over into the normal lane.  Or to flash traffic in the opposite lane that they are coming up on a speed trap.

I recently re-read an old James Bond book (I think it was Moonraker, 1955).  In the story, it mentions flashing the headlights to indicate you intend to pass a vehicle in front of you.  I think in today's world, it's more likely to incite a road rage incident.

15 hours ago, schardein said:

Yes, even if you don't have your headlights on.  The point is to flash someone sleeping in the fast lane.  Or signal a semi-truck that has passed you that they are clear and can shift back over into the normal lane.  Or to flash traffic in the opposite lane that they are coming up on a speed trap.

I recently re-read an old James Bond book (I think it was Moonraker, 1955).  In the story, it mentions flashing the headlights to indicate you intend to pass a vehicle in front of you.  I think in today's world, it's more likely to incite a road rage incident.

I don't like being flashed with high beams. In certain situations, it blinds me or possibly other drivers. Now, I will turn the low beams on and off in the right vehicle. XJ's I can do that. My Volt, I haven't found out if it can. 

I have a hard time driving at night with people driving with their bright lights on. Especially with the LED lights they blind me anyway. You take a big old pickup with big tires and lifted, their LED headlights are directly in line with my eyes and I cannot see anything for 3-4 minutes. Dangerous.................:furious3:

2 hours ago, olddude said:

I have a hard time driving at night with people driving with their bright lights on. Especially with the LED lights they blind me anyway. You take a big old pickup with big tires and lifted, their LED headlights are directly in line with my eyes and I cannot see anything for 3-4 minutes. Dangerous.................:furious3:

Pretty much every new Ford SUV or Truck does this to me with their low beams on.  Very frustrating.  My Comanche is my only tall vehicle, all of my other cars have my butt no more than 12 inches off the ground.

I was pulled over while driving my Volt at dark. An aggressive driving SUV, had ducked in back of me to pass a vehicle in the left lane. This was in a 35 mpg zone. The flash of light, I instinctively drifted or ducked a bit to the right. I was pulled over for driving in the Bike Lane. I did not get ticketed. Still, why wasn't the SUV pulled over. ??? 

26 minutes ago, 75sv1 said:

I was pulled over while driving my Volt at dark. An aggressive driving SUV, had ducked in back of me to pass a vehicle in the left lane. This was in a 35 mpg zone. The flash of light, I instinctively drifted or ducked a bit to the right. I was pulled over for driving in the Bike Lane. I did not get ticketed. Still, why wasn't the SUV pulled over. ??? 

Because you were the one driving a Volt?!?!

😀

1 minute ago, 87MJTIM said:

Because you were the one driving a Volt?!?!

😀

Hmm, maybe that is why I was pulled over in PA, for a phantom expired plate, last week. 

1 minute ago, 75sv1 said:

Hmm, maybe that is why I was pulled over in PA, for a phantom expired plate, last week. 

PA wants you to stop and see the state…from the side of the road. 

They also want you to come back…for court. 

1 minute ago, 87MJTIM said:

PA wants you to stop and see the state…from the side of the road. 

They also want you to come back…for court. 

Well, they were nice when one of the rear wheels came off. Even offered a ride to the police barracks. Transport my firearm, too. I didn't want to take anymore of their time, so I opted for a ride to the Quickmart down below. 

Well at least it seems like our consensus here is that flipping your high beams up to let someone know you’re about to pass is a fool move, haha. I got a little concerned, it’s standard practise in some parts of the world but I think it’s a practise that should have died with sealed beams.

I don’t know how many times someone has caught up to me on a two-lane highway and sat there for a bit, then when we hit a passing lane and I pull off into the right lane to let them by and that blip of high beam into my mirror leaves me seeing spots. Usually it’s a high-end SUV of some kind. 

I strongly suspect we’ve got manufacturer cost cutting to blame for some of the poor aim and glare. Its getting common for the aiming adjustment to be one adjuster that does a diagonal sweep, so lights just get a compromise on left/right and up/down. 
Couple this with everyone putting a levelling kit on their truck, and the market getting flooded with junk LEDs off Amazon that really can’t be aimed correctly, we’re just getting set up to fail there. 

This post has sparked some good conversation.  Really I was just curious about the feature, as I had assumed (incorrectly it seems) that all the XJs and MJs had it.

On a sort-of related note, one of my favorite mods to the XJ/MJ is adding a rear view mirror from a 99-06 Chevy/GMC truck/SUV.  The benefits include a compass and temp readout, and auto-dimming.  It just needs 4 wires, key one power, ground, and two wires to a temp sensor that can be mounted behind the front bumper.  The auto-dimming works really well for when a car behind you has bright lights.  There is another wire that goes to the reverse light circuit, so when you shift into reverse, the mirror is forced to "un-dim", for safety.  I didn't use it, but it's there if you wanted to.

There are several variations, the one to find has a compass/temp dual readout, so you don't have to toggle between the two, and no On-Star button that won't be used.  I think the 2000-2002 trucks are the best bet for this version.

IMG_3108.jpeg

11 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

My fathers 06 Sierra doesn’t have the on star button. So I think it’s all dependent on trim level. 

I think you're onto something here. Neither of my parents last two plow trucks, nor the chassis donor for my dad's truck have had one (2000 Silverado 2500 base model, 2005 Silverado mid-level, 2000 Silverado base model) had the On-Star buttons, but my parents' 01 Suburban and 04 Suburban did, both of which were pretty much fully loaded. 

Yeah my ‘04 Sierra 2500HD doesn’t have the on-star button. TBH I don’t think it even has the compass and temp readout, at least if it does I don’t remember them being there. But it’s also a base model with manual everything.

My 2001 2500hd LS trim had a plain old mirror. But I snagged one from the junkyard and when I went to put it in, the wire plug was under the headliner. The plug for the thermometer was present behind the grill as well. All plug and play. That little project is what got me adding them to Jeeps. 

The holy grail is the Jeep TJ/LJ version from 2002(?)-2006. It has all the same features but adds dome lights and switches for them built into the mirror housing. 

They use a button type mount but it is shaped differently than the stock XJ/MJ one.  I get them from the junkyard with the mirror.  A trick is to have a Bic lighter.  Heat them up a little and then grab them with some pliers and gently twist.  Keep heating until it comes loose.  You can grab them with pliers and tear them off, which will often take part of the windshield with it, then it's a pain to clean the glass off.  Better to get them off clean in the first place.  

So I think the factory mirror button can work in some cases.  It's a loose fit, and some might work and some might not.  The mirror might pop off the mount button as you tighten the set screw.  Like I said some might work though.

For the actual correct button, there are a couple different styles.  They are generally a little wider at the bottom base.  Some have a large flange.  This gives more surface area for the glue to hold the slightly heavier mirror on.

In this pic, there is a thin stock Jeep mount in the left, that won't work.  I think it's from a CJ.  Then is the more common XJ type, they are close and might work.  Then there is the correct button that is wider at the base.  Then there is the one with the flange.

Rear view mirror buttons.jpeg

Also, if getting one from the junkyard, the set screw on these is usually a torx bit, so throw a set in your bag if it's not already in there.

On the left is what the thermometer looks like and the factory wiring connector for it.

IMG_8030.jpeg

I'm 52 and grew up in the northeast where we were taught in driving school to flash to pass. It gets the other drivers attention and a heads up that someone is passing on the left so they didn't get spooked. That is for empty lane scenarios;

Otherwise its common when on the highway and you see an 18-wheeler wanting to merge over, so if he has room, a flash of the lights gives him the all-clear signal. Usually get a response from the trucker of him flashing his trailer lights back as a thanks. Kind of a cool thing in my book.