got pulled over...

comanche-man22

In VA, you don't start your training until 15 and 6 mon. Then you have to drive with someone who is 21 or over until you are 16 and 3 mon.(person with you can be 18 if bro,sis, or the like). Crufew is 12mid-4am until 18. Passenger restrictions are only one during the first year except bro & sis. after 1 year before eighteen you can have 3. If this all seems like its way too complicated, you are right. We have laws that are made because someone did something dumb and someone has died because of it. Either way to pass the test and get you lisc., you had to know the rules and decided to break them. I am sure that there is a lesson here somewhere, and if I had to guess I would say its, "With every decision you make for the rest of your life there will be consequences. If you ignore them when you decide they will find you anyway."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can forgive an inexperienced driver for impairing their ability to drive with a cell phone once, but an expereinced adult should know better than to impair their ability to drive. That is why here in CA it will be law in july 2008 that you can't talk on your cell phone while driving unless you can do so but still have both hands available to drive (studues have found that even with such technology driving is still impaired ;) ) It's too bad we have to substitute laws that can be compromised for plain old common sense.

Hands free phone may be different, but my observation is it is not the dialing etc that is the distraction, it's the conversation. A conversation in the car is fine most of the time. The passenger is in the car with you and knows what is going on and the conversation pauses when it has to. A phone conversation becomes your primary focus and the other end of the phone has no idea that someone is about to step off the curb. I seldom use the phone when driving but the few times someone has called me, I later realize that my speed has increased and the field of vision has narrower focus. I only had to push one button and that was in the beginning. Maybe it gets better with more usage, or it's a man thing that I can only do one thing (well) at a time.

What is it with phones? Why do we allow them to take priority. How many Saturday mornings have you driven to the parts store and waited in line while the clerk allows everybody to butt in line because they called? Remember when you were a kid and your mother was on the phone? You could ask for anything you wanted. Some mothers would always say yes and some would always say no. Either way they really weren't listening. Telephones were the first electronic that has taking over us and has it really made life better?

Sorry, when I got my license we had no limitations. Shoot we didn't even have to sit in a seat. It must be the seatbelt that is causing poor drivers. It's pretty sad when we need laws to to the right thing. Kinda of like a different kind of police state. Let's just make one law. It is illegal to do dumb stuff.

Hands free phone may be different, but my observation is it is not the dialing etc that is the distraction, it's the conversation. A conversation in the car is fine most of the time. The passenger is in the car with you and knows what is going on and the conversation pauses when it has to. A phone conversation becomes your primary focus and the other end of the phone has no idea that someone is about to step off the curb. I seldom use the phone when driving but the few times someone has called me, I later realize that my speed has increased and the field of vision has narrower focus. I only had to push one button and that was in the beginning. Maybe it gets better with more usage, or it's a man thing that I can only do one thing (well) at a time.

What is it with phones? Why do we allow them to take priority. How many Saturday mornings have you driven to the parts store and waited in line while the clerk allows everybody to butt in line because they called? Remember when you were a kid and your mother was on the phone? You could ask for anything you wanted. Some mothers would always say yes and some would always say no. Either way they really weren't listening. Telephones were the first electronic that has taking over us and has it really made life better?

Sorry, when I got my license we had no limitations. Shoot we didn't even have to sit in a seat. It must be the seatbelt that is causing poor drivers. It's pretty sad when we need laws to to the right thing. Kinda of like a different kind of police state. Let's just make one law. It is illegal to do dumb stuff.

Huzzah agreed :cheers:

I don't think it gets any better.

CT has had a law against driving while using a cell phone for two years now, and it is universally ignored -- by drivers, and by the police. I was nearly broadsided recently as I proceeded through a traffic light that had clearly turned green for me. The other driver didn't see it turn red for her. It was a young woman who (naturally) was so busy gabbing on the cell that she wasn't paying any attention to what was happening. She slammed on the brakes and stopped about 15 inches short of t-boning my driver's door. And had the nerve to glare at me like it was MY fault she had to stop for the damned red light.

What I find curious is that I know from my own experience that using a cell phone while driving is a serious distraction -- even using a hands free device or a bluetooth. Yet I've driven all over the country, yakking on a CB radio, and somehow that never becomes the same degree of distraction. I think it has to be that "telephone" is so much a part of our daily lives that when we get into a "telephone" conversation the part of our brain that says "Hey, I'm driving a 3,000-pound guided missile, I should probably pay attention" gets switched off. But our brain associates CB radios (thanks, perhaps, to Burt Reynolds and Smokey and the Bandit) with trucks and with DRIVING. I've never once felt that I've lost track even for a nanosecond of the fact I'm driving while using the CB radio.

Which is why I'm so glad the CBs flew under the radar when the state passed the law against using a cell phone while driving.

If your between 16-17 Oregon will give you a provisional license with restrictions. Like during 1st 6 months you can't have anybody in the vehicle under 20 if their not immediate family. For 2nd 6 you can't carrry more than 3 pass under 20 who are not the same as fore mentioned. For 1st year you can't be on the road between midnight & 5AM, there are a couple exceptions.

This was instituted after the state took a look at how many newly licensed drivers, and their ride alongs, were being killed. It's not a bad idea.

I'm sorry but this entire post is fawking redicules.

I'm a Tax payer and I pay taxes on realestate towards public school funding.

These restrictions on drivers license with number of passengers in the car and all that is completly a bunch of BS.

How do they expect these kids to get to school, hocky practice, after school jobs, weekend volunteer opportunities like training and volunteering National Ski Patrol or other things, if you can't drive with more than one person in the car.

Further more, it is completly insane to teach kids that riding with one person in the car is OK. What ever happened to carpooling, environmental awareness, engergy conservation, and other things.

Kids learn their lesson when a few of their friends get splatter on the windshield or scattered in pieces on the asphalt. I hate to put it in such a gruesome way, but what lesson are you teaching a kid that gets hasseled by a cop at 16 for some redicules reason.

That probation driving crap will never fly here. I'm not paying for public transportation for every tommy, dicky, and sally, to get to and from soccer, hockey, football, and yearbook club meetings after school. If mommy and daddy can afford a car for tommy, dicky, and sally, they can afford the insurance for them to drive with there friends. If they can't afford a car, then their kids need to learn from school of hard knocks how to work hard to get where you need to go in life.

The law should simply be stated that no more people in the car than the number of seat belts.

I feel sorry for the origional poster

obviously everyone has distractions while driving... (and i am a kid, and i went through this rule 2 yrs ago) its a PITA rule that noone really follows, just some people COUGH this guy COUGH got caught. i'm just saying that's the theory behind it

Have you been kissing dirty girls?? You really should get that COUGH Checked

These restrictions on drivers license with number of passengers in the car and all that is completly a bunch of BS.

How do they expect these kids to get to school, hocky practice, after school jobs, weekend volunteer opportunities like training and volunteering National Ski Patrol or other things, if you can't drive with more than one person in the car.

Further more, it is completly insane to teach kids that riding with one person in the car is OK. What ever happened to carpooling, environmental awareness, engergy conservation, and other things.

Kids learn their lesson when a few of their friends get splatter on the windshield or scattered in pieces on the asphalt. I hate to put it in such a gruesome way, but what lesson are you teaching a kid that gets hasseled by a cop at 16 for some redicules reason.

That probation driving crap will never fly here. I'm not paying for public transportation for every tommy, dicky, and sally, to get to and from soccer, hockey, football, and yearbook club meetings after school. If mommy and daddy can afford a car for tommy, dicky, and sally, they can afford the insurance for them to drive with there friends. If they can't afford a car, then their kids need to learn from school of hard knocks how to work hard to get where you need to go in life.

The law should simply be stated that no more people in the car than the number of seat belts.

i think i would pretty much have to agree.

kids do need to learn, but their opportunities are being taken away. too many safety rules now. since i was a kid i have noticed that a lot of parents are raising their kids to be pussies. they can't experience anything on their own, cause the parents are so damn concerned about them getting a scratch, a little bruise or something. my dad always told me to quit being a kitty about it and take it like a man when ever i got hurt. i am only 19 and i have noticed a difference in how parents react. not saying everyone raises their kids this way or that it's wrong but how are the kids going to learn? it's a part of life, you gotta learn for yourself. ma and pa aren't always going to be there to hold you hand or to make you feel better.

The problem is ... the kids DON'T learn when their friends get splattered.

We had one here in CT just a couple of months ago. 17-year old kid. Had his license for a year and half. In that time he has TOTALLED six cars. One of the accidents put him in the hospital for several weeks and almost killed one of his friends. Plus he had multiple DUI citations and innumerable speeding tickets -- which his mother (an attorney) was able to get fixed. So with a record like that, mommy went out and bought him one of those Subaru rice rockets -- the fast one, with the spoiler that's bigger than the vehicle. So the dork picks up his younger sister and her friend at school. He's flying up a 2-lane suburban road at about 85 in a 40 zone. There's a dump truck stopped, waiting to make a left turn across on-coming traffic. The dork slams into the back of the dump truck, vaporizes the Subaru, and kills himself, his sister, and his sister's friend.

You would not have believed the comments the newspaper quoted from his friends. Not ONE of them thought he was a lousy driver or that he was in any way at fault for KILLING two teen-age girls. Kids today are in total denial. They have no concept of reality, or responsibility. "It was the road's fault." "How could he have known there was a truck there?"

:nuts:

You may think it's redicules :nuts:

but I ride motorcycles and the only think that is more scary then someone talking on a cell phone is a car full of teens driving and not watching what they are doing :roll:

You would not have believed the comments the newspaper quoted from his friends. Not ONE of them thought he was a lousy driver or that he was in any way at fault for KILLING two teen-age girls. Kids today are in total denial. They have no concept of reality, or responsibility. "It was the road's fault." "How could he have known there was a truck there?"

:nuts:

not the case here, plenty of people MORE than half the kids i would say (at school) were cursing and saying the kid who killed himself in a DUI jeep wreck got what he deserved for flying off drunk like that

way i see it, that tree he plowed into could have been my brother, my best friend or my girlfriend. there's no excuse for that.

and another wreck the year before that killed a passenger same story.

most kids round here will chew your @$$ for dui or anything close

the law is necessary. I KNOW I would've been distracted by all my buddies when driving. hell, just another person in the car is a distraction sometimes (yay hott ladies).

what you feel is unfair or not conservational is SAVING LIVES because that's one less person an inattentive driver can kill.

as for the poster, I feel sorry that he made bad choices, but not sorry that he's gonna learn a lesson from this.

the law is necessary. I KNOW I would've been distracted by all my buddies when driving. hell, just another person in the car is a distraction sometimes (yay hott ladies).

what you feel is unfair or not conservational is SAVING LIVES because that's one less person an inattentive driver can kill.

as for the poster, I feel sorry that he made bad choices, but not sorry that he's gonna learn a lesson from this.

I've been following this post and both agree and disagree with both the younger and the older posters. Good points by all. I am of the latter, an olde farte like Eagle. :D I was driving on the backroads of NH at nine (by myself) in my grandfathers Chevy, propped up by a pillow, practicing power slides on the ice. NO cell phones in those days. Today, it's a hell of a lot tougher for novice young drivers; more traffic, more distractions, more drunks and druggies on the road, more speed because the roads are better, etc. etc. Plus you've got more REALLY olde fartes on the road today, most of whom can't even see or hear let alone drive. The road slaughter is higher, and the youngsters are doing their part maintaining the numbers for their age group in increasing annual numbers . Why - because they are insufficiently prepared for the onslaught IMHO. Insurance companies dictate to the individual States basically what their respective driving laws are. Some are good, some are useless. BUT they all are designed to save lives, because by doing that the insurance companies make more money, and it's an ongoing never-ending process. What's the solution I haven't a clue, just opinions. One thing is certain: if you do not obey and practice your State's driving laws, you'll either be dead or you will not be able to afford to legally drive anymore. The insurance companies will see to that...........

I've been following this post and both agree and disagree with both the younger and the older posters. Good points by all. I am of the latter, an olde farte like Eagle. :D I was driving on the backroads of NH at nine (by myself) in my grandfathers Chevy, propped up by a pillow, practicing power slides on the ice. NO cell phones in those days. Today, it's a hell of a lot tougher for novice young drivers; more traffic, more distractions, more drunks and druggies on the road, more speed because the roads are better, etc. etc. Plus you've got more REALLY olde fartes on the road today, most of whom can't even see or hear let alone drive. The road slaughter is higher, and the youngsters are doing their part maintaining the numbers for their age group in increasing annual numbers . Why - because they are insufficiently prepared for the onslaught IMHO. Insurance companies dictate to the individual States basically what their respective driving laws are. Some are good, some are useless. BUT they all are designed to save lives, because by doing that the insurance companies make more money, and it's an ongoing never-ending process. What's the solution I haven't a clue, just opinions. One thing is certain: if you do not obey and practice your State's driving laws, you'll either be dead or you will not be able to afford to legally drive anymore. The insurance companies will see to that...........

:agree:

You younger guys need to realize, that driving is a privilege not a right. its not jumping in your power wheels and hit'n the streets. The quicker you learn that the better your going be in the future.

soapbox.gif

I am pretty cut and dry on this topic. "Don't DO the Crime IF you Can't do The Time" The laws are there for a reason... no matter how stupid we feel they are the states and insurance companies have made DATA based decisions, and found that younger drivers need restrictions placed on their drving abilities.

Now This goes for everyone. If you are speeding... and get a ticket.. don't get made at the officer :nuts: Thank him for doing what you pay him to do.. after all he is only enforcing the laws... and he is paid to write that ticket. :brows:

Insurance is a big scam.. you pay and pay... then if you need to use it.. you get busted open with increased premiums :mad: For you yopunger folks.. Protect your credit.. your credit score has a huge affect on your insuirance premiums, as do tickets, and other crimes you might commit. A drunk in public.. is the same as a DUI to many insurance companies.

soapbox.gif

You younger guys need to realize, that driving is a privilege not a right. its not jumping in your power wheels and hit'n the streets. The quicker you learn that the better your going be in the future.

This is totally my point. I'm a tax payer, and if you don't let them drive and wreck and kill a few people at a young age, they are never going to learn to be better in the future. Furthermore, if you don't let them drive, then it becomes the burdon of society and tax payers to pay to transport them. It is the risk that each one of us takes when we get behind the wheel. I'm willing to take that risk everyday rather than pay higher taxes to provide transportation for these people.

I'm also the guy that is willing to take the risk that I might die in a terrorist attack, or might have to pay more for gasoline, instead sending troops into a situation that probably has no affect on anything that happens here in America. It would have been better in my opinion to let something like september 11th happen every ten years than to lose a few thousand good soldiers fighting people who don't care one bit about us. I'm also the guy that would take the risk to stop a mall shooter, or a plane hijacker if I was ever in that situation.

Keep telling your selves that we need to teach young a lesson by not letting them try things and fail. Failure is the greatest way to learn how to be successful. Just don't attempt failure with my money.

This is totally my point. I'm a tax payer, and if you don't let them drive and wreck and kill a few people at a young age, they are never going to learn to be better in the future. Furthermore, if you don't let them drive, then it becomes the burdon of society and tax payers to pay to transport them. It is the risk that each one of us takes when we get behind the wheel. I'm willing to take that risk everyday rather than pay higher taxes to provide transportation for these people.

I'm also the guy that is willing to take the risk that I might die in a terrorist attack, or might have to pay more for gasoline, instead sending troops into a situation that probably has no affect on anything that happens here in America. It would have been better in my opinion to let something like september 11th happen every ten years than to lose a few thousand good soldiers fighting people who don't care one bit about us. I'm also the guy that would take the risk to stop a mall shooter, or a plane hijacker if I was ever in that situation.

Keep telling your selves that we need to teach young a lesson by not letting them try things and fail. Failure is the greatest way to learn how to be successful. Just don't attempt failure with my money.

so...you're a retard? that's what I read in your "that guy" section. what crap. it's not even on the topic. OUR SOLDIERS FIGHT FOR WHAT THEY BELIEVE IN, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY SIGNED UP FOR, AND THEY'RE DAMNED PROUD OF IT. HOORAH! if you think that some innocent people should die vs. a soldier die, you need to go see a psychologist so they can fix whatever problem is causing your headcase issues.

this isn't personal mind you, I don't dislike you in any way, but your thought process is, to say the least, negligable.

that being said, failure IS the safest way to learn. however, NOT at the cost of an innocent person's life.

OH!. I killed a few people in my day. ah, it's a learning process those poor bastards, least I won out in the game through my irresponsibility

that's not how it works, and people don't always learn from other people's examples. these laws are here to PREVENT them from having any sort of accident like that. if they're not put in a situation that could cause such an accident at the beginning of their driving years, they gain experience so that they're wise enough NOT to do it when they have the PRIVELAGE of having more passengers.

This is totally my point. I'm a tax payer, and if you don't let them drive and wreck and kill a few people at a young age, they are never going to learn to be better in the future.

Good god, let them drive and kill a few people :nuts: :nuts:

You need to check into someplace and get some help :cheers: You are one sick person :D

This is totally my point. I'm a tax payer, and if you don't let them drive and wreck and kill a few people at a young age, they are never going to learn to be better in the future.

Good god, let them drive and kill a few people :nuts: :nuts:

You need to check into someplace and get some help :cheers: You are one sick person :D

Don't even dignify this asshat with a response CE.

:cheers: :cheers: "Tis the season to be jolly" :cheers: :cheers:

OUR SOLDIERS FIGHT FOR WHAT THEY BELIEVE IN, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY SIGNED UP FOR, AND THEY'RE DAMNED PROUD OF IT. HOORAH! if you think that some innocent people should die vs. a soldier die, you need to go see a psychologist so they can fix whatever problem is causing your headcase issues.

that's not how it works, and people don't always learn from other people's examples. these laws are here to PREVENT them from having any sort of accident like that. if they're not put in a situation that could cause such an accident at the beginning of their driving years, they gain experience so that they're wise enough NOT to do it when they have the PRIVELAGE of having more passengers.

Please know that this response is my last response to this post and is in no way intended to offend any soldiers, but honestly, you have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident than you do getting killed as a troop, and you have a better chance of getting killed as a troop than you do getting killed in a Terror attack.

My logic behind this is simple. There are already laws on the books that charge people with the responsibility of driving safely. If you kill some one at the wheel then you are charged with manslaughter. That alone is enough to cause me to drive safely, and did as a Teen driver. If they want to create a law, how about creating a alw that charges parents with failure to supervise and teach thier chidlren properly when they are a teen and kill some one because they are bad drivers?

Simply put, when you sign up for a drivers test or a drivers license, the same way as when you sign up for the service, or sign up to be an american, you exist in a world where calculated risk factors exist. If you can't accept those risks, don't get behind the wheel, or get into a vehicle with others who are not responsible enough to drive or ride with more than one person in the car.

I find it hard to believe that there can be just an 18 month difference in the age of a young man who is permitted to drive a vehicle with more than one person in the car and one who is permitted to sign up to fight George Bush's Oil Agenda War.

I'm requesting you all cram it.

As much as I dislike xmas, Hornbrod was closest to the mark.

Shut the f*ck up, Merry X-mas and go eat more Turkey-Berd.

If you wanna argue, take it to pm, email, other forms of stuff.

Come'on guys. This isn't Pirate where you're flamed for having feelings.

I'm requesting you all cram it.

As much as I dislike xmas, Hornbrod was closest to the mark.

Shut the f*ck up, Merry X-mas and go eat more Turkey-Berd.

If you wanna argue, take it to pm, email, other forms of stuff.

Come'on guys. This isn't Pirate where you're flamed for having feelings.

Why thank you mate! BIG dinner today, lots of xmas :cheers: , then went to test my bro-in-laws new 270 Winchester. Before we even got targets set up a big coyote came strolling out of the woods about 300 yards away. They are are big problem here killing dogs and chickens. Grabbed the gun, sighted up, and dropped it. Unfortunately, I also dropped myself, gourd too close to the scope, four stitches in the emergency room and another great scar to talk about. Overall, another great redneck Christmas :D :D