Jeep TJ gas tank swap? Whodunnit

Alright so I've been searching all over and while it's not hard to find the mention and conversation about swapping a TJ gas tank into the rear spare tire space on a short bed MJ, is it just me or is there next to No write up or picture dump of the swap itself?

I'm aware of the JCR MJ build where this was done but outside of that I'm striking out on finding more details from anyone whos done it themselves.

Any hints or thread links would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, ThatJeepGuy said:

Alright so I've been searching all over and while it's not hard to find the mention and conversation about swapping a TJ gas tank into the rear spare tire space on a short bed MJ, is it just me or is there next to No write up or picture dump of the swap itself?

I'm aware of the JCR MJ build where this was done but outside of that I'm striking out on finding more details from anyone whos done it themselves.

Any hints or thread links would be appreciated.

I haven’t seen anything on it, but I’d also consider using an XJ tank (20 gallons), and you could cut in the gas filler neck and fuel door in behind the wheel well and it would look factory, you could also use an xj skid plate to protect it. I’ve also heard that ZJ tanks are slightly bigger (23gallons) and they fit under xj’s as long as you use the ZJ skid plate. I’ve also heard of people modifying lwb tanks to fit on the swb 

2 hours ago, jpnjake said:

I haven’t seen anything on it, but I’d also consider using an XJ tank (20 gallons), and you could cut in the gas filler neck and fuel door in behind the wheel well and it would look factory, you could also use an xj skid plate to protect it. I’ve also heard that ZJ tanks are slightly bigger (23gallons) and they fit under xj’s as long as you use the ZJ skid plate. I’ve also heard of people modifying lwb tanks to fit on the swb 

I'm familiar with both the steel and plastic xj tanks from either year range 96- and 97+. Their overall size alone doesn't work for the area of the factory spare. I'm aware of the level of creativity and options for other setups/locations but for the purpose of my trucks build - specifically the factory spare tire location and also a TJ gas tank is what I'm looking for insight on others potential process of doing so.

Currently have a fuel cell in the bed of my truck and while it works as is, I absolutely want an empty pickup bed and this fuel cell takes up too much space for my needs. 

Installing an XJ tank will destroy your ability to carry a spare tire in the OEM manner, and that means the spare goes in the bed (or you take a chance and skip the spare :D )

What I did was based on recommendations from fellow CC member "Dzimm"    I installed a 22 gallon plastic gas tank from a 1998 Dodge Dakota pickup.

The Dakota uses the more modern style of fuel pump commonly found on the XJ's as well, so there may be some adaptation needed for your wiring to connect to that pump/fuel sender unit to your older MJ wiring harness

Dzimm can probably chime in on any special tricks for that wiring, as he was an invaluable source of info when I converted my MJ.

20221111_041008.jpg.c88c86846c87c828c4f22d3f7be2de16.jpg

For context, my MJ is LS swapped thus why I already have a fuel cell in the bed.

Factory gas tank location with any configuration of tank isn't in my interests.

As it stands now, I have the new to me TJ tank setup with a fuel pressure regulator bypass and aftermarket fuel pump retrofitted to the TJ sending unit.

I do appreciate the chip ins

2 hours ago, shelbyluvv said:

Damn Ben, couldn't of found a better pic of her? 🤣

Ha! Not sure how the forum decides what picture to throw on for a thread preview. :dunno: Had I been the one to decide, it definitely would’ve been a more flattering picture from her youth. :laugh:

27 minutes ago, neohic said:

Ha! Not sure how the forum decides what picture to throw on for a thread preview. :dunno: Had I been the one to decide, it definitely would’ve been a more flattering picture from her youth. :laugh:

well that's just weird. :thinking:  it's not the first picture in the thread and not the latest.  why did the software pick that particular one?

1 hour ago, neohic said:

She is going to look better than ever very soon. She's getting a full reduex again. 

On 2/11/2023 at 10:20 PM, Muncher said:

The tj tank is used I'm the jcr build. A little bit of the x cross member in the back was cut out and it bolted up pretty easy. Look it up on there showcase YouTube video

Didn't see the second part of your post. Oops

All good, i forgive you this time :P

On 2/12/2023 at 1:18 AM, neohic said:

On 2/12/2023 at 1:18 AM, neohic said:

Bo did this a while back in his truck, Onyx. Page 10 he goes into detail on mounting a TJ tank: 

Definitely appreciate the link and while the details are very thorough and pictures are fantastic! that was to mount the tank in the factory location and not in place of the factory spare tire location

With little success at finding others detailed success I have proceeded with my own approach to making the TJ gas tank fit in place of the spare tire under the bed. I haven't taken any photos yet but what i can say soo far is that this setup is definitely NOT exactly a "meant to be" fitment as much as other will claim it to be. 

To be clear, JCR offroads approach for their shortbed MJ was to remove the rear half of the factory X-brace between the frame rails. If i remember correctly they shared a "frenched crossmember" to cap the rear most section of the frame rails.

What i'm shooting for is to leave the X-brace alone and instead trim away the bed material hidden behind the bumper.  If I'm successful i'll share a little more of a how to modification thread on how i pulled it off. Perhaps FINALLY putting the Whodunnit question to bed!