'91 Silver Star 2.0

13 hours ago, acfortier said:

Well, got it all fixed up. The wiper motor I purchased from the parts store said it was for my '91, but it had a different plug on it with different colored wires. I attempted to splice the old plug onto the new motor, which obviously didn't work. Had a sneaking suspicion that the new motor was no good... So ended up looking up an '88 wiper motor, and it looked like the right one (and had the round plug like I have in the pictures). Picked it up, didn't have the plug in the box as you had to use the existing one, so I cut it off of the other motor and wire nutted it on to test... and viola. Worked without issue. I'm thinking I had a bad wire within in the motor, not really sure though. Anyways, all fixed up!

Didn't have time to button it back together as we picked up our German Shepherd puppy!

IMG_3841.JPG.c102982a62f0bb5092bdb6cd5e16d953.JPG

Congratulations, and good luck lol

2 hours ago, Torq_Shep said:

Adorable! My idiot is 2.5 years now. Some of the best dogs!

Ours is 11 and still and idiot, never grew out of it lol

PXL_20210808_194720897.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, so good! We've had her for two nights, and she's been pretty good for a pup.

Buttoned everything back up, but still some weird gremlins to work out. The intermittent selections don't work whatsoever, so I think I may have a busted module. I've also noticed that sometimes, if I go from LO to OFF, they won't return correctly. I'll have to cycle them back on and off again for them to return.

May try to hit the junkyard for one before I spend $75 on eBay for a used one.

Take a very close look at the bottom of the board. Look for grey circles (or visible cracks, if they're bad enough) on the solder joints. If you see any of those, that indicates a cracked joint. Very common on electronics from certain manufacturers.

Gave it a good scrub with a toothbrush and baking soda/water paste, and all is good! Just have to figure out a good way to seal it back up, since I don't think I have rivets that small.

Need to get it inspected soon, but still waiting on the front license plate bracket I ordered.

Decided to take it for a spin for some couple errands. Was on my way to my second destination, cruising at about 40mph, when it just died on me. Didn't sputter or anything, just died--as if I had shut off the ignition. Coasted to stop, pulled over, would just crank and crank and crank. Checked the engine bay, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. By the time I got back in, it started right up again--weird.

The only thing I noticed is that the tach wasn't working before, but then after it died and I was able to start it again, it started working.

Seems like maybe a wiring issue--I don't have the lower dash piece on at the moment, so the intermittent wiper module and whatever the other two relay-looking things are were just dangling--I tried to push them back up over another harness so that they wouldn't be in the way while I was driving. Might have been that?

Had both windows rolled down, and the passenger side one needs to be checked out--it starts to roll up, but then stops, but the crank will keep rotating as if it's trying to "catch." I was able to pull up a bit on the window, start cranking again, and I was able to get it up all of the way.

Replaced the leaking movable vent windows with some fixed ones I got from DeadJeep. Uneventful, but I did find this hanging out in the bottom of the driver's door:

IMG_0633.jpg.25ef5003ad940bcafbbb2cb5acb4d5bd.jpg

I guess this explains why the door doesn't stay open. I'll have to see if this is replaceable... if it is, it's not going to be fun.

Also, lubed up the cranking mechanism on both sides, as well as the door hinges--but the passenger side crank still just spins unless you physically pull up on the window while cranking it, just for a small section at the beginning. I assume I'll need to get a new crank mechanism?

EDIT: Ordered a new door check, inner/outer window seals, and a door hinge pin. Still debating whether I want to spend ~$100 on a manual window regulator, or if I want to head to the junkyard to try and convert mine to power.

So glad to see you fixed the wipers - bad motor and dirty module.  Great work there.  I'm really enjoying the updates and seeing stuff get done I always wanted to do to her.  A little epoxy should seal it back up nice instead of the rivets.

Passenger window needs regulator help - a bunch of members have had luck cleaning them.  If you go electric, talk to @Minuit as he's got a great recipe for the HO.

Concerning your shut off last night, sorry to hear about that.  I had a similar incident in June or July that I posted in tech about.  You can find/read that thread for info.  Same symptoms.  Likely old/bad gas.  Could be an old overheated coil, but I don't think so.  I mentioned the gas issue to you when we met - that gas could be 3+ years old in the tank.  I'd pump what remains in the tank (which shouldn't be much) then fill it up with new gas and see if you have another problem.

46 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

So glad to see you fixed the wipers - bad motor and dirty module.  Great work there.  I'm really enjoying the updates and seeing stuff get done I always wanted to do to her.  A little epoxy should seal it back up nice instead of the rivets.

Passenger window needs regulator help - a bunch of members have had luck cleaning them.  If you go electric, talk to @Minuit as he's got a great recipe for the HO.

Concerning your shut off last night, sorry to hear about that.  I had a similar incident in June or July that I posted in tech about.  You can find/read that thread for info.  Same symptoms.  Likely old/bad gas.  Could be an old overheated coil, but I don't think so.  I mentioned the gas issue to you when we met - that gas could be 3+ years old in the tank.  I'd pump what remains in the tank (which shouldn't be much) then fill it up with new gas and see if you have another problem.

Yeah, it was definitely weird. I'm not so sure if it was bad gas or not--it just randomly up and died, I would have expected some sputtering. But, I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

OK, parts update, since I feel like I've ordered a bunch of things...

1. Ordered a Crown CPS + hopefully getting a OEM ignition coil via @eaglescout526, specifically the one outlined by HOrnbrod here: https://comancheclub.com/topic/51677-9192-mj-premature-ignition-coil-failure-fix-relocation/ It looks like a worth-while upgrade. Purchased a ZJ coil to get the bracket that was outlined there as well.
  2. Ordered a set of mirrors from Quadratec, which said they were in stock, but now they are out of stock. Hopefully they'll fulfill them.
  3. Went by the junkyard and got a passenger front window regulator for $25. Pretty good shape, I think it was from a '96. Beats paying $100 via eBay.
  4. Purchased a headlight harness from Amazon, will be doing that upgrade.
  5. Purchased a Ford Ranger cargo light from LMC Truck, hoping it'll fit and look nice. Wanted something that looked like it fit era, I think this will do.
  6. Will be purchasing the NOS grille guard from @Kaiserman on Sunday
  7. Hoping to find a jack + tool kit set
  8. Have some leftover Noico 80 mil sound deadening sheets, will purchase some more so I can slap that down as well.

The truck will look dope with that new grille guard.

Seeing HOrnbrod's posts still providing help years after his passing is inspiring.  Hopefully replacing those parts fixes the issue. While my stepdad was driving my truck, it just died on him out of nowhere and turned on without problem. So I'll have to try it as a fix if it works for you.

10 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Hopefully indeed. I didn’t get a chance to call today to see if they have it. 

Fingers crossed!

Installed the window regulator today. Wasn't that bad, just had to drill out the old rivets, which was kinda a pain. I stupidly forgot to ask for the hardware from the '96 regulator, so I had to run down to the parts store. I was honestly kinda surprised about how easy this was to do. Now I've got a fully working passenger side crank!

7 hours ago, Minuit said:

If either of the regulators are stiff at all to turn, you might want to take them out and clean the "snake" that runs the glass up and down to keep this from happening again.

I lubed up the one I put in with lithium grease--it seems like there's some type of pipe cleaner thing intertwined with the metal rod?

Did the headlight harness install/upgrade today. Realizing that the header panel on it is a bit beat up. Good thing I got a spare! :L:

I ordered a Ford cargo light for the bed from LMC, hoping that I could make something fit/work... but not so sure anymore after seeing it in person.

IMG_0644.jpeg.561cc2bcc4f6fbf5fe5728f8e6a6bb00.jpegIMG_0645.jpeg.204abca03b4c367a02788fd456d1f693.jpegIMG_0646.jpeg.3f8da3a93e82d1b84807015a5369bffb.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

does it match the curve of the cab?

Maybe, it’s hard to say since the back portion sticks out so much from the rubber seal.

Either way, I don’t really want to cut a huge rectangle out on the back. Unless that’s how the stock ones are?

Yeah, that would be a much better solution IMO. I've searched on here and found reference to 90s Chevy's maybe having something that would work, but beyond that, I haven't seen a suitable replacement. I'm not even sure if this cargo light from a Ford would work with the large rectangular cutout on the cab-side--might protrude too much into the headliner?

Got around to replacing the ignition coil with an Accel unit. Also decided to take the time to relocate it.

Had some pretty nasty cracks on the OE one:

IMG_0661.jpeg.61fa48aafc7026f362afe1099e9aa0ac.jpegIMG_0660.jpeg.3486959335087b85e1b6daef1b93d70b.jpeg

Used the existing bracket and drilled a few holes on the firewall lip to mount it:

IMG_0662.jpeg.1e6206c44cde5523af55e849a1563c15.jpeg

Had to get a new spark plug wire and extend the harness to reach, but everything fires up!

A couple of updates, but no pictures. I'm bad at remembering to take pictures as I get things done.

Added fog light wiring + fog lights. I snagged a harness from a XJ to help understand how they work, and got some Weather Pack connectors from Amazon. I ended up re-doing the 10-pin connector with a 12-pin Deutsch connector since mine was all corroded. After a few hiccups, they work! Man, mounting them on the bumper is a real pain. Do most people drop the bumper to do it?

I swapped out the header panel with the spare that I had, but not really happy with the fitment. My plans are to eventually hand it over to a body shop to get it all dolled up, but that will be some time.

From my initial list above...

1. Ordered a Crown CPS + hopefully getting a OEM ignition coil via @eaglescout526, specifically the one outlined by HOrnbrod here: https://comancheclub.com/topic/51677-9192-mj-premature-ignition-coil-failure-fix-relocation/ It looks like a worth-while upgrade. Purchased a ZJ coil to get the bracket that was outlined there as well. Ended up using an Accel unit, as mentioned above. Have the CPS, but won't bother replacing until the engine dies on me again.
  2. Ordered a set of mirrors from Quadratec, which said they were in stock, but now they are out of stock. Hopefully they'll fulfill them. Still waiting, website says Oct. 10... so who knows?
  3. Went by the junkyard and got a passenger front window regulator for $25. Pretty good shape, I think it was from a '96. Beats paying $100 via eBay.
  4. Purchased a headlight harness from Amazon, will be doing that upgrade.
  5. Purchased a Ford Ranger cargo light from LMC Truck, hoping it'll fit and look nice. Wanted something that looked like it fit era, I think this will do. Hoping to get a stock cargo light from another member on here.
  6. Will be purchasing the NOS grille guard from @Kaiserman on Sunday  Picked it up
  7. Hoping to find a jack + tool kit set Actually my stepdad had a leftover set from another Cherokee they used to own, so I got the handle + jack, but no lug wrench.
  8. Have some leftover Noico 80 mil sound deadening sheets, will purchase some more so I can slap that down as well.

Couple new things to add:

1. Will most likely go to the JY tomorrow and snag a MC from a 95-96 XJ to do a quick swap in upgrade.
  2. I was going to get new swaybar bushings since mine are completely shot, but I decided that I'll try to snag a larger swaybar from another donor at the JY. Mine is a 24mm, hoping for a 28mm.
  3. Had some water in the cab after a rainstorm last week. Not sure if it was coming in through the doors, as I ripped the plastic to get to the window regulator/door check, but will eventually needs to do a water test with a hose to see if I can track it down. I think the clutch MC is leaking, but not sure.
  4. Hoping to buy a decent cover as it'll be stored outdoors all winter. Probably spend some $$$ on a custom Coverking one.
  5. Hopefully getting a NOS ignition cylinder to replace the one I have, as the key doesn't stay in. It'll be nice to have more than one key, and I'll get the door cylinders matched at a local locksmith.
  6. Got a R12a recharge kit from Frosty Cool, need to charge the A/C and hope for the best. @kryptronic let me know if there was anything else that needed to be done with the A/C system, I think it just needed a full charge? Also, just got the other parts today--thanks!

Title came in today. Will eventually need to take it to get it inspected, but no rush. 

3 minutes ago, acfortier said:

Hopefully getting a NOS ignition cylinder to replace the one I have, as the key doesn't stay in. It'll be nice to have more than one key, and I'll get the door cylinders matched at a local locksmith.

Ah crap. I knew I could’ve knocked something out today.