'91 Silver Star 2.0

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, acfortier said:

Got a R12a recharge kit from Frosty Cool, need to charge the A/C and hope for the best. @kryptronic let me know if there was anything else that needed to be done with the A/C system, I think it just needed a full charge? Also, just got the other parts today--thanks!

When I got the truck, the A/C system was not fully installed.  I installed all missing components with new components, including putting in a new compressor years ago.   Check the compressor for the oil level, and adjust as needed.  I'm not sure if that's right - use the right oil.  Besides that, I would charge it and look for leaks. 

Also, I have OE mirrors if you need them.  Left is a manual remote, right is fixed.  They need paint, otherwise they work great.  PM me if interested.

Concerning the MC upgrade, seem unnecessary to me.  It's using a YJ proportioning valve, and the LSV was deleted, and it stops on a dime.  If you want to go back to using the MJ proportioning valve, let me know - I just found it, but I don't have the LSV any more.

Gotcha! I'll check the oil in the compressor and then try to charge it up.

I'm still undecided about the mirrors. I have an order with Quadratec in, so not sure when they'll be back in stock, but there's no real rush--not driving the Comanche yet.

I remember doing the upgrade on my previous Comanche, and it was a night and day difference. I haven't driven this one enough to comment on it's current braking power, but I figured why not--it's easy enough to swap out.

Picked up an Addco 543 kit for a ZJ for $80, brand new. The bushings are currently shot on the Comanche now, so I figured swapping it out for something beefier made more sense.

We've been getting some decent rain today, and I decided to go check out the Comanche to see if I can find where the rest of the leak is coming from. Unfortunately, I haven't pinpointed exactly where it's coming from, but it's definitely wet behind that large piece of foam backing, so I'll have to remove that to get a better look. Not sure what that entails, as it seems fairly intertwined with other components.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done much, been busy with some home renovation. Got the steering wheel removed, the switch replaced. Got the ignition back from the locksmith to match the doors + glove box, will need to throw those in. Need to paint the column black as well. Got the maroon dash removed.

Decided to take a closer look at the firewall connector, as I think it's leaking from there, and it looks pretty rusty in that area. Took it apart, scuffed it up, and slapped some POR-15 on it. Will RTV the engine-side when I put it back together, and hopefully that will be enough. You can see the big rust spot right below it:

IMG_0777.jpg.f58553d22d2cffd9eef1a47321ab6b66.jpg

I think the factory's waterproofing "solution" was to pack the connector full of dielectric grease. Sealant on the connector to firewall mating surface should help.

The SEM does look really good. It's an amazingly forgiving product and goes on extremely well. Also, the pdf of the FSM that I sent you has a diagram of how the harness is routed behind the dash that might be helpful when you go to re-install. This is a common problem when pulling the dash on these trucks. It's in the beginning of the wiring diagrams section.

9 hours ago, Minuit said:

I think the factory's waterproofing "solution" was to pack the connector full of dielectric grease. Sealant on the connector to firewall mating surface should help.

The SEM does look really good. It's an amazingly forgiving product and goes on extremely well. Also, the pdf of the FSM that I sent you has a diagram of how the harness is routed behind the dash that might be helpful when you go to re-install. This is a common problem when pulling the dash on these trucks. It's in the beginning of the wiring diagrams section.

Yeah, I have some ultra black RTV I'm going to use. Does it make more sense to do it on the engine-side or the cab-side of the connector?

Awesome, thanks for that--I'll definitely use that.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happening, been focusing on house renovations, which are almost complete. Ideally, I would like it back together before the snow starts flying, but we'll see. Coverking I purchased for it came in, but I may be getting a ShelterLogic 12' x 20' carport from my girlfriend's dad for free, kinda makes the Coverking obsolete.

Ended up purchasing a set of (4) LT235/75R15 General Grabber A/TX tires off of FB Marketplace for $450, barely used, still had the nubs. I guess he put them on a Wrangler and blew the trans in less than 100 miles.

Going to put on my mother's spare set of JL tires in the meantime, and get the turbines refinished.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:55 PM, acfortier said:

It rained pretty good last night, didn't see any standing water in the Comanche. I think I've solved the water issue, for now!

Now share your secrets with the rest of us mere mortals!

I haven't--was going to have someone soak it down while I sat in it to see if I could find where it's coming from.

FWIW, the hood isn't latched all of the way down, and hasn't been for some time. Even then, I would think that water still shouldn't make it's way into the cab, right?