'91 Silver Star 2.0

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I wait for the new stalk to arrive (didn't realize the it was as simple as yanking out the old one to replace it, thought I had to dig into the column), I did notice that the key doesn't lock in the ignition. I was able to remove it without hitting the lever, as well as remove it while it was in the on position. Does it make sense to just buy a new ignition switch + door lock set? Do they sell them together as a set?

2 hours ago, acfortier said:

While I wait for the new stalk to arrive (didn't realize the it was as simple as yanking out the old one to replace it, thought I had to dig into the column), I did notice that the key doesn't lock in the ignition. I was able to remove it without hitting the lever, as well as remove it while it was in the on position. Does it make sense to just buy a new ignition switch + door lock set? Do they sell them together as a set?

You can just buy the tumbler and a lock smith can rekey to match your doors for like $30. They need the new tumbler and key you want to match to. Not sure if they need the old tumbler or not. 

45 minutes ago, Torq_Shep said:

You can just buy the tumbler and a lock smith can rekey to match your doors for like $30. They need the new tumbler and key you want to match to. Not sure if they need the old tumbler or not. 

Thanks, I think I'll go that route. Any idea on where to get some OEM Jeep keys for this?

10 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Interesting, because that key doesn't match the style I currently have. It looks like what I linked above, but there seems to be multiple part numbers. Crown has these part numbers:

2063947517_ScreenShot2021-08-18at12_31_05PM.jpg.6a7c3716ecd2a3424fcb5b1f872565df.jpg

But there's a gap. I found 4378751 that may be the correct part, but can't really seem to confirm. Is there actually a difference between all of these keys? 

Back to the windshield wiper/washer problem...

New stalk just arrived, placed it in and...! Nothing. No change in behavior. The washer only works intermittently, and same with the wipers--I can get them to move on Hi, but it's definitely way slower than it should be. Bypassed the box again, and still the same. I can't seem to figure out what's going on. Dash lights will randomly flicker while the wiper is in an on position, as well.

I'm assuming at this point that it is the multifunction switch... Going to swing by the parts store and pick one up.

EDIT: Thought that it might be a wonky ground, but then I just tested the high beams, and they don’t stay on. That is definitely an issue with the multifunction switch.

EDIT2: nope, I was wrong—just me being a fool about the high beams. Did figure out that when the wiper motor is disconnected, washer works fine. When it’s connected, it doesn’t work anymore. Bad ground?

Added in a ground near the wiper motor per https://comancheclub.com/topic/57353-comprehensive-wiper-modification-upgrade-maintenance/

Still no change in behavior. Cleaned the ground on the driver's side inner fender, no change. Was going to tackle the dash ground but I'm not seeing a 8mm stud anywhere that I can use. Will keep looking.

2 hours ago, acfortier said:

Still no change in behavior. Cleaned the ground on the driver's side inner fender, no change.

So with the lock cylinder / key issue on hold, it looks like you're fighting the slow wipers.  If I've followed correctly, you've replaced the wiper arm/stalk and the wiper motor.  You've also added a few grounds, and have seen no changes.

You have an HO vehicle now, and a bunch of the advise you might get on here is going to be from members with Renix trucks.  HO is a different animal.  While I could see adding grounds to the Renix system to combat issues elsewhere, doing so on an HO system, in my humble opinion, is pointless.  Just make sure the grounds that are there all look good.  You don't need to improve on the HO electrical system the way you do with a Renix system. 

The note about the flickering lights caught my attention.  Here are some thoughts: 

When I first got the truck, wires in the main harness/loom attached to the steering column were loose.  I traced a problem with the rear brake lights not functioning back to loose wires in the connector.  There may be something loose there that's causing all your problems.  I recall when driving at night with the lights on, when I used the turn signals the radio would dim as they clicked.   I rarely drove at night or with the radio on, and the radio has LEDs in it, so I really didn't think about it much.

Also, you know the truck leaks as evidenced by the water that collects on both the driver and passenger floorboards.  There is no doubt that the vent windows are contributing, but don't rule out the possibility that the fuse box has water leaking around it or into it.

If I were chasing this problem, I'd remove the additional grounds you just added, hook everything back up, verify the functionality of the wipers is unchanged (but operational with the new stalk and motor), and then start chasing loose wires/connections on the steering column and at the fuse box.  Just turn the wipers on and start jiggling connections and wires.  If they speed up, you're golden. 

Good luck.

I just checked that main harness--the wiper/washer actually splits off before that main harness, so I don't think it's that. I started a thread over in Tech... I'm getting the correct voltage at the plug for the wiper motor, just seems to go haywire as soon as it's plugged in.

Well, got it all fixed up. The wiper motor I purchased from the parts store said it was for my '91, but it had a different plug on it with different colored wires. I attempted to splice the old plug onto the new motor, which obviously didn't work. Had a sneaking suspicion that the new motor was no good... So ended up looking up an '88 wiper motor, and it looked like the right one (and had the round plug like I have in the pictures). Picked it up, didn't have the plug in the box as you had to use the existing one, so I cut it off of the other motor and wire nutted it on to test... and viola. Worked without issue. I'm thinking I had a bad wire within in the motor, not really sure though. Anyways, all fixed up!

Didn't have time to button it back together as we picked up our German Shepherd puppy!

IMG_3841.JPG.c102982a62f0bb5092bdb6cd5e16d953.JPG