'91 Silver Star 2.0

in theory the firewall should prevent all water intrusion.  in reality the seals suck.

just sprinkle a little around in the suspect area and the water will make definitive tracks through it leading back towards the source.  most any powder will do, but something non-watersoluble is preferred.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, went to go take the wheels off to get them powder coated, and the front driver's side had a seized lug nut that turned into a spinning stud. Greeaaaaaat.

Currently battling with that to figure out a way to take off the wheel without damaging it. So far drilling it out with a cobalt bit isn't working too well.

Tried breaking the stud off by bending it--just ended up rounded the lug nut.

Tried drilling it out--nothing.

Tried using a multi-tool to cut the lug, somewhat worked, but the rest of the nut is recessed in the turbine, so it's hard to get to.

Supposed I could take it to a welding shop after I get the wheels back, since it's on jack stands in the driveway. Or maybe find a mobile welder that can come to me. At this point, not really too concerned about damaging the turbine, since it'll be the 5th/spare if I do decide to use it.

And the parts replacement continues... I figured since I'm there, may as well slap in a new ujoint. Bought a Spicer replacement, will go to my stepdad's work to get them pressed out/in. Got a new brake dust shield as the other one was a bit banged up (partly from me trying to get the wheel hub unstuck, but I feel like someone else had the same issue before).

Should be picking up the turbines from the wheel shop, had them powdercoated silver. Can't wait to see them!

Here's a picture of that lug nut, after we drilled the stud out.

Attachment.jpg.e07b072ee13df59cacbe405129e64094.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg.c080cc438e8bb17210efcedc217c2dd8.jpg

Here's how they came out. IMO, they look great. Going to have to refurb the caps now, since they look crusty.

Got everything back together, not without a hiccup... Accidentally broke one of the caliper pins while I was trying to torque it down--the whole thing kept spinning and my torque wrench never clicked. Oops...

I was able to get the caliper off and get the broken piece out, quick trip to the auto parts store and this time I tightened it right up until the whole thing started to spin.

On 11/23/2021 at 2:21 PM, acfortier said:

IMG_0904.jpg.c080cc438e8bb17210efcedc217c2dd8.jpg

Here's how they came out. IMO, they look great. Going to have to refurb the caps now, since they look crusty.

Got everything back together, not without a hiccup... Accidentally broke one of the caliper pins while I was trying to torque it down--the whole thing kept spinning and my torque wrench never clicked. Oops...

I was able to get the caliper off and get the broken piece out, quick trip to the auto parts store and this time I tightened it right up until the whole thing started to spin.

Those look awesome!

Made some progress over the weekend. Decided I need to get my butt moving as it's kinda unmovable in it's current state.

Got the dash reinstalled, and re-ran the harness to what I thought the FSM had listed--had to take it all apart again as what was in the FSM doesn't really match what I have in my truck. Got to the point where it wasn't possible to reinstall the HVAC panel. But, rerouted for the second time, and I think I'm good--got the HVAC panel, radio, clock, headlight switch, and cluster all installed back into place. Good thing I bought a pack of these! https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/disco-automotive/lighting---electrical/electrical-ties---clamps/c808aaf11d21/disco-automotive-cable-tie/dis0/12286pk

Got the black headliner, A pillar trim pieces installed. Figured I may as well do that while I'm there--I couldn't really remember how difficult it was to get the A pillar pieces out without finagling with the dash.

Was fighting with the ignition cylinder, but just finally got it out--starting to get dark, so stopping here. Hoping I can get the steering column put back together so I can fire it up and move it around.

IMG_0917.jpg.65375e0fc14934a5178ae1cfcd099c13.jpg

I'm hoping with a new hood to cowl seal I won't experience any more leaks, as it may be a PITA to diagnose now that I put the dash back in.

She lives! was able to get the new ignition in, everything connected, and started her up--cranked a bit but finally caught--not bad for sitting for a few months.

Just got the rest of the steering wheel back together, everything works as it should.

I noticed that the clock isn't turning on, and the gauge lights on the right don't turn on, nor do the turn signal lights in the cluster. I'll have to investigate, not sure what could be the issue. Hoping I didn't screw anything up when I was re-sealing the firewall connector.

Just cleaned the rest of the interior parts, waiting on them to dry now before installing since it's cold--especially the seatbelts.

After having a "doh" moment with one of the plugs for the ignition switch being unplugged, I was able to get a sticker today!

Went to the junkyard in the early AM and snagged a rear view mirror with map lights from a Buick for $10. Will wire them up when it's warmer out--no real need for them now. I did end up mounting the mirror a bit too high, so now I can't pull down the sunvisors without hitting it--oops. Will move that in the warmer weather, too... works for now!

But still have the random shutoff issues outlined here: 

I was letting it warm up the windshield earlier today, just idling, and it randomly turned off. As if someone turned off the key. Went back over to it, restarted it without issue, and left it running for awhile longer while I installed the rear view mirror.

Went to go get a sticker, no issues starting it up. After getting it inspected, we couldn't get it to start again. Would just crank and crank and crank. Finally moved it out of the bay, and after awhile, it started again. Really weird...

I saw somewhere where someone once said these machines know. It’s like they live but not actually living. Like they know when you fear it and will give you reasons to fear it until you show no fear. It also likes to play games. Forgot where I saw that but I know it was about the MJ and Renix but I suppose HO could be the same way too. 

• 2 months later...

Haven't done much with the Comanche during winter--it's just too damn cold, and I don't have a garage space. I've probably driven it around 100 miles since putting the interior back together, and haven't had the weird stall/no-start issue (outlined here: https://comancheclub.com/topic/66390-91-ho-shut-off-while-driving/)

Picked up a D44 that I plan on eventually swapping in after rebuilding it.

4 minutes ago, acfortier said:

That's the last thing I replaced, and it hasn't happened since, so fingers crossed!

My fingers are definitely crossed for you.  Did you take any interior pics with the black all in?  I really would like to see how it turned out, but at the same time I have the feeling it will make me regret selling you the truck.  I'm really glad you're taking care of it so well.

14 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

My fingers are definitely crossed for you.  Did you take any interior pics with the black all in?  I really would like to see how it turned out, but at the same time I have the feeling it will make me regret selling you the truck.  I'm really glad you're taking care of it so well.

Not yet! It's not fully complete, still need to source a carpet. But I'll snag what it currently looks like next time I take it out for a spin.

• 1 month later...

Nothing new happening here (yet)... Drove it another ~150 miles to CT to pick up an exhaust for my Volvo, no shutdown issues at all. Vitals all looked good, as well. Was the comfiest or smoothest drive, but hey, I wasn't expecting that!

Debating on find a rusted out '97+ to swap the front clip, interior, and drivetrain over. Not sure how serious I am about that as I don't have the greatest facilities to do a swap of that magnitude (my garage is way too small).

• 4 weeks later...