The saga of getting keys cut

70barracuda

So I never had more than 1 set of keys for the manche. Decided it'd be a good idea for a spare. Went to home depot and they didn't even carry the blanks. So I bought a NOS set. Brought it in and they wouldn't cut it. Can't cut outside keys. Okay whatever, forgot about it.  Well fast forward a month and I just locked my only set in the truck. Eventually got in with an airbag tool and cranked down the window. So today I try a different home depot. Nope. Then an ace hardware. Nope. So then I try some old school lock smith places. 3 of them said nope, they either don't have someone or a machine that'll do anything older than 1990. Like how hard is it to cut a set of GM keys. Anyways, I call my local jeep dealer out of desperation and they tell me no, as their machine only goes off vins. But they did refer me to their sister Mazda dealer who had the copier type machine. Brought the blanks in and the dude cut them for free. Said he hasn't done a set like that since probably 1988 lol. Anyway, that's my rant for getting a damn key cut

12 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Actually I’ll throw this out there. I know how to work our key machine and I cut my own set of keys for my MJ. I’m willing to cut any set for anyone so long as they just pay for shipping. 

that offer seems worthwhile enough to add to the vendors section :D 

Damn. You wouldn’t think it would be that big a deal. Typical key copying machine you just set the good key and the blank in their spots, and it grinds into the new blank using the old key as the guide. Depending on the key you might need different adapters on the holders, but as long as the key is clamped in and none of the grooves are sitting below the jaws, just send it.

But if you’re in a bind and can’t ship away your key for a few days, you can also cut them yourself with a file, so long as you’re careful. 

I cut three extra sets for mine when I got a new lock cylinder. We still have the old machine at work. Our new machine will not cut a single sided key. It's also horrible at tracing keys. It dues cut the high security keys and double sided perfectly from the VIN. We cut outside keys at work at your own risk.

2 hours ago, Car Enthusiast said:

Where did you get the blanks from? I have 2 sets but I would like to get some AMC/Jeep keys

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-88-89-Very-Rare-Original-RA-5-RA-3-JeeP-AMC-Pair-Nickel-Keys-1988-1989-/283630201011?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Members here may have some available for cheaper.  The RA5-cut keys with the AMC logo are pretty rare. If you can find someone with a used key that is cut higher on all ridges than yours, you can cut it down, as well.  If you have a steady hand and find one that is cut lower, you can also carefully braze more material onto the key and cut it back down to match your key.

Pretty sure the earlier RA4 lock cylinders are a direct swap and NOS RA4 keys are plentiful and cheap, so that's an option if you want to go that route.

I got my keys cut recently and the door ones don't work right and the ignition ones somehow work for the ignition really well and they work for the door not smoothly. once my truck is driving I am taking it to someone who will cut the door keys so they work right

6 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

once my truck is driving I am taking it to someone who will cut the door keys so they work right

Usually it's not the fault of the locksmith, but a consequence of the fact that you're duplicating a key with 30 years of wear and then sticking the new, sharp key into a lock with 30 years of matching wear.  Clean the locks out with electronic cleaner and lube them up with dry lubricant and work the key in and out, lock and unlock and it usually frees up fairly quickly.

Just now, scaleless said:

Usually it's not the fault of the locksmith, but a consequence of the fact that you're duplicating a key with 30 years of wear and then sticking the new, sharp key into a lock with 30 years of matching wear.  Clean the locks out with electronic cleaner and lube them up with dry lubricant and work the key in and out, lock and unlock and it usually frees up fairly quickly.

yeah I know but the dude cut them high and and said take them back so for now since the jeep just sits in the driveway I am not worried about locking it so I will wait

Just now, jdog said:

Ps door keys should be separate key then the ignition

yes I know and they are cut different but idk I think I have an aftermarket ignition in my truck so idk. it's a hole thing

Got mine cut at the local ACE, didn’t charge me. I did have to do a little clean up with the drimel cutoff wheel and wire brush. The blanks I used had a bit thicker bar in the middle than the originals.