Evapo-Rust

Not sure if it’s been posted before? I’ve been stripping every little part off a donor 89 Comanche that’s way beyond repair. Been searching online for an easy way to strip rust off of small parts. I found this stuff and it really works! So far I’ve cleaned up my fuel filter bracket, nuts, bolts, screws, hood catch, and hood release bracket. I degrease everything first overnight. Then wash them off. Then they go into a container for two to three days. I filter out the residue once a day, check what’s clean, and dump the items that need more rust removal back into the container for another day or two. Once the items are clean you can see what’s worth saving or not. It can also be reused numerous times. There really isn’t much effort required and it saves me some cash because these little things add up quickly. Considering what it costs to go to the hardware store to get replacements for nuts and bolts that are all rusty/ crusty this stuff is a real money/ time saver. 

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Personally, I’m a sandblast cabinet kind of guy. Quick and easy. 

I've got a bucket of bolts and nuts if you wanna sand blast them. if not this stuff is great for doing these

I've heard good things about Evapo-rust but I've never tried it.   I use B&G Rust Remover which is a phosphoric acid product.   There are other OSPHO products that can be found in places like Home Depot but I am not familiar with them.   With B&G it's basically dip and rinse with water.  Pretty much anything survives the process except for nonferrous metals and even that would have to be in the tank for quite a while.   

I also media blast parts.  It's more labour intensive but the finish is better for painting or powder coating, not that dipping is bad. 

Rust Remover 1 (800x531).jpg

Dip Tank 1.jpg

I love Evapo-Rust on small parts.  It's convenient and cheap.  Soak it overnight and it comes out clean.  Minor prep (rinsing and final degreasing) and it's ready for a good coat of paint.

For big parts, I use some kind of rust converting primer.  Paint it on and wait for it to cure (and convert the rust).  Then paint over it.

I used EvapoRust in a rusty 4.0.  The PO parked it with water in the block.  I let sit a day or two, then drained, and rinsed it.  It cleaned up the internals nicely.

I then ran distilled water and vinegar for a few days while letting the engine idle.  I didn't drive it with that in it, just idled.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:42 AM, 87MJTIM said:

I used EvapoRust in a rusty 4.0.  The PO parked it with water in the block.  I let sit a day or two, then drained, and rinsed it.  It cleaned up the internals nicely.

I then ran distilled water and vinegar for a few days while letting the engine idle.  I didn't drive it with that in it, just idled.

EvapoRust does make a solution for the coolant system. I used it after Prestone and Blue Devil. It drained out Black with a tinge of green. I am still have some 'dirt' issue. I think there is a build up on the rear 'cylinder' water jacket. I did run some Super Purple Cleaner water mix last night. Came out a bit darker than simple a water flush. I might try the vinegar as suggested. I have used Critic Acid before. It does work.

Don't leave parts in these products to long. I left some bolts in for a few months. It solidified.