"The Middle"

Dzimm

21 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Should one agree to disagree when lying is involved? Where does the truth fall between the two?

"Agreeing to disagree" is nothing more than saying "You can't ever convince me that what you are saying is right or correct and I don't have time to try to convert you to my way of thinking, so we'll just call it quits. You live your life and I'll live my life, and we won't interfere with each other." How is your veracity or morality in any way compromised (in the sense of "diminished") by that? You haven't agreed to what the other person says or claims, you have done nothing more than acknowledge that neither side is going to change the other's view(s).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

The problem with the truth is no one can change your mind. Only you can pick your truths. Right/wrong, good/evil, up/down, left/right. You choose.

Again, I have to disagree. You can't "choose your truths." Truth is what IS, and truth is truth irrespective of who believes it and even if NO ONE believes it. You can choose what you want to believe but, if you choose incorrectly, then your belief is not truth.

55 minutes ago, derf said:

Some of the worst offenders there are old farts set in their ways getting their knickers in a twist when dealing with change.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

(Danged compooters, n fuel injectors n stuff. Carburetors RULE!)

4 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Hey! I resemble that remark!

(Danged compooters, n fuel injectors n stuff. Carburetors RULE!)

I do too.  Just because I can see it in others doesn't mean I'm not right there with everyone else.

When I make a conscious effort to fight it, I can get along with a lot more people.  But I catch myself being the old fart way more often.

"truth" is just a word and it can mean various things, from the laws of physics, to how to raise a child.  there is wiggle room on a lot of things that different people would consider a truth.

unless we're talking about politicians makings stuff up to suit their own agenda.  :fistshake2: 

Me biting my tongue and waiting for the incendiary remark that burns this thread.  :popcorn:

As for old farts set in their ways, it's because they have wisdom.  Wisdom comes from experience.

Experience comes from poor choices.   They've seen it before, but you go ahead and try. 

You can tell someone there are a million stars in the sky and they believe you.  Tell them the paint is wet, they have to touch it.

Know the past or be doomed to repeat it.  

40 minutes ago, NHMJXJ said:

As for old farts set in their ways, it's because they have wisdom.  Wisdom comes from experience.

Experience comes from poor choices.   They've seen it before, but you go ahead and try.

There are lots of old people with experience.  They disagree with each other as much as any other group because their experiences in life have differed greatly.  They don't all come to the same conclusions.

Smart people learn from their own experiences.

Smarter people learn from other people's experiences.

The smartest people keep learning until they die.

also, sometimes you need to be a bit patient before we can get closer to "the truth".  meaning we gotta wait for all the court cases to wrap up.  our system is pretty dang good if not a bit slow (for better or for worse).  functional, but definitely slow. 

On 2/9/2021 at 2:49 PM, Jesse J said:

LOL for real. I think it all stems from the people who put money to their campaigns. we need a cleansing

I disagree, because no matter how much money goes into their campaigns, the person we are choosing to vote for (or against) is still the same.

Our system is has become vastly different than what our founding fathers intended. We have become a system that keeps the good people away from office. Would you expose your family to what politicians endure?

It used to be that politics was like different divisions of an automaker. Sure, Light Trucks wanted more money to go into building their product, but they weren't opposed to Cars making money.

Now, it's like a gunfight, and as Bill Jordan said "There ain't no second place winner".

And this is what we choose. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/jeep-pulls-bruce-springsteen-commercial-report-dwi-arrest/story?id=75822546

Well i guess there were enough people on both sides that Jeep found a reason to get rid of the commercial? 

I don't think they are going to be happy with the ROI on that ad. I think they're using a Bruce DUI to give them a reason to pull it, but really it was just unpopular imo.