1990 Eliminator. The journey of Black Bird.

In February of 2015 I had just finished the build of my 2001 XJ.   It was a rust free Jeep from southeast South Carolina that was the perfect specimen.   I often do things in pairs (mustangs, Broncos, old trucks, boats....etc.) so I began a search for the perfect mate to the XJ.   I had a few requirements. The truck needed to be a short bed, rust free, original paint and drivetrain.  After several months of searching I bumped into Yellaheep here and ended up buying one of his many Comanches he was hoarding.

It's a 1990 Eliminator, original pint, drivetrain, short bed, Dana 44 rear diff, time capsule.  The perfect truck for my plans.  Over the past 6 years I have spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours working on the truck and I have also been  documenting the progress with photos.  I am getting close to getting the truck finished so at the urging of a couple members here I am going to start a build thread.  Enjoy.

First a few photos of the condition upon purchase.

90 MJ in Colorado prior to purchase (23).JPG

90 MJ in Colorado prior to purchase (30).JPG

90 MJ in Colorado prior to purchase (42).JPG

90 MJ in Colorado prior to purchase (11).JPG

90 MJ in Colorado prior to purchase (3).JPG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more pictures of purchased condition.  Truck still has the original date coded spare tire on the correct wheel.  It appears the truck had blown a head gasket and had been partially disassembled. All the removed parts were in a large plastic tub in the bed of the truck.

The AX15 and transfer case appear to be the original pieces and do not look like they have ever been out of the truck. all the tags are in place on the diffs. 

engine compartment (1).jpg

90 MJ in Colorado prior to purchase (15).JPG

90 MJ in Colorado prior to purchase (13).JPG

90 MJ in Colorado prior to purchase (19).JPG

90 MJ in Colorado prior to purchase (40).JPG

engine compartment (2).jpg

90 MJ in Colorado prior to purchase (32).JPG

After getting the truck delivered to Ohio it needed a good pressure washing and I took inventory of everything I had.   Just about every single piece was there except for a few small bolts and screws probably lost along the way.  I started the disassembly process.   I also started stripping the original paint in prep to take it over to my painter.   I completely disassembled this truck without using one single drop of PB blaster and i didn't break any bolts or find any rust.  I was amazed at how easily it came apart and how clean ever y thing was.  Rust free Colorado truck for sure.  the floorboards look like new after i got the carpet pulled out.

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

On 1/29/2021 at 11:33 PM, All around mj said:

I thought my floor boards were nice with just having surface rust, but dang yours are nice.

Thanks.  The floor boards in the truck would pass for new.  I was shocked myself.  Low humidity and no roads salt, plus the factory undercoating kept this one really nice.

I have lots of room. Best thing I ever did was build a 106x60 shop. I have a paint room, two parts rooms and plenty of heated space to work on this stuff all winter. One thing I am lacking is a lift but hoping to fix that this spring.

after disassembly I took the engine down the road to a machine shop/engine builder.  Guy builds 3000 horsepower tractor pulling engines so i figured he could make the little 6 cylinder all better.   I'll post up the engine build specs tomorrow.    I finished disassembling the truck and took it to my painter.  Although the truck was original paint it had a hundred dents in it.  it had not been babied for sure.  It was supposedly used as a farm truck to haul hay to cattle in it's later years. 

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

28 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

That is going to be very pretty! Do you plan to keep the factory 10 whole Eliminator rims? You should try to get it ready to go to the All Breeds Jeep Show in Carlisle PA at the end of July.

at this time I am not going to use the factory eliminator wheels.  I am going to have Keystone refinish them though.  I have a set of low mile 16" TJ Moabs for it.  As for Carlisle I might make it, depending on some other factors.  

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

That is going to be very pretty! Do you plan to keep the factory 10 whole Eliminator rims? You should try to get it ready to go to the All Breeds Jeep Show in Carlisle PA at the end of July.

you changed your pfp and it totally threw me off. 

I use the same engine builder for all my projects and I dropped the engine off to him for a complete rebuild.   The drivetrain is original to the truck.

New engine specs are:

original engine block hot tanked, checked for cracks and shot peened. 

over bore .040 with new SLP #H802CP40  14cc dish pistons

Align honed, crank and rod journals ground .010, new bearings

Decked to zero deck height

new cam bearings and freeze plugs

rotating assembly internally balanced

ARP rod, main and head bolts

new Melling HV oil pump

Oil filter adaptor o-ring kit

2001 Main cap girdle with original 1990 oil pan

Cloyes double Roller timing set

Comp Cams #68-235-4 camshaft  .477 in / .493 ex. lift with 254/262 duration @.006

Volvo 20 pound four hole injector upgrade.

Three angle valve job with everything new except the valves.

Spring seats machined for proper install load

Head machined for a final compression ration of 9.644:1   Chamber CC is 56

New rocker arm kit

Bead blasted and repainted the original Renix valve cover with black "crinkle" high temp engine paint

Cruiser's valve cover mod completed.

Autolite 3924 gapped .035

Mopar performance springs

Mopar performance head gasket

Stock Renix header ceramic coated by JetHot.

Stock Renix throttle body bored to 60MM by Leigh Performance Machine

EVERY sensor replaced with a new one.

New motor mounts added as well.

IMG_0923.JPG.5d7887ccad4281c3d4ee2ada97727ede.JPG

engine rebuilt.jpg

thanks for the compliments guys.  It's been a long labor of love for sure.

I have spent the last week looking for a new EGR valve for this.  I tried everywhere and nobody had it in stock and nobody could order it from any distributor either.  Today I found one in Canada for 267.00 CA.  Then I found ONE on the pacific coast for 105.00 shipped. Their web site says it is in stock and it let me buy it so I am crossing my fingers that it shows up next week sometime.   As for the other sensors the truck is showing 146 thousand miles on the odometer.  The harnesses and plugs all look like new but I decided to change every single sensor when going back together.  I am going to move the  IAT to the air filter box as well so I am buying the Tomco piece and building a new harness.  Spent the day today bead blasting misc. parts in prep for paint.  Also sourced the rear Bilsteins and got them ordered.   My plan is to get the rear axle and springs back in the truck and start pulling the front diff out next week.   I also picked up the resurfaced flywheel. 

oSJeXL4hQHi85hNQKkBCTQ.jpg

wPHSEs6TQE2q5Qa8AJkkYQ.jpg