MJ Gears and Years

Because we all know that there were a lot of gears that you could get in an XJ/MJ during their production, I think it would be a good idea to come up with a list of gears that you could get and the years that you have found them in for future reference. Please include other years and gear ratios that you have found over the years.

4.56 198?-1992? 4 cyl auto MJs (maybe XJs too?)

4.10 198?-1996? Typically found in 4 cyl, 5 speed MJs and XJs, and some 86s (no idea on 97+)

3.73 1984 (found in an all original 84 XJ)

3.55 1984?-2001 4 cyl 4 speed MJs and XJs, 4.0 auto MJs and XJs

3.07 1987?-2001 (4.0 5 speed XJs and MJs) (89eliminator's 88 4.0 auto, fuel mileage package?)

5 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I can just copy paste all the ratios for each year from starparts and drop them in. Course do we want each MJ year or do we want to look back to 84 and forward to 01?

I am thinking 84-01 would be great. Lots of us have XJs or MJs swapped with later model parts. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

that is so much against the grain that I'm going to need to see some paperwork before I would add that to any list. 

i mean i owned it 15 years ago so i don't know what paperwork I'm going to get lol.  but it was verified by opening the cover.  who know if it was factory but it showed no signs of being swapped out

5 minutes ago, 89eliminator said:

i mean i owned it 15 years ago so i don't know what paperwork I'm going to get lol.  but it was verified by opening the cover.  who know if it was factory but it showed no signs of being swapped out

Unless the whole axle was swapped. 

11 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Alright. I’ll just run each ratio and just list it’s years available. 

Sweet! Thank you, no rush. 

"paperwork" can be the digital variety of course. :L:  far too few of us still have build sheets and window stickers. :(  is the vin in the registry?  I've got 0 info to support any 4.0/auto coming like that from the factory.  :dunno:  fwiw I blew up and replaced my axle in '98 when the truck was all of 10 years old.  dana 35s truly suck.  :fistshake2:

I need a time machine... :(

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

"paperwork" can be the digital variety of course. :L:  far too few of us still have build sheets and window stickers. :(  is the vin in the registry?  I've got 0 info to support any 4.0/auto coming like that from the factory.  :dunno:  fwiw I blew up and replaced my axle in '98 when the truck was all of 10 years old.  dana 35s truly suck.  :fistshake2:

no pics and no VIN registry :( 

18 hours ago, Pete M said:

that is so much against the grain that I'm going to need to see some paperwork before I would add that to any list. 

Agreed. Of the 13 Comanches I had as demos at the dealership, I personally ordered about 10 of them. 3.07 with auto was never an option. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2020 at 12:47 PM, Pete M said:

I have an 88 sport truck with Dana 35 and 3.07 in the rear. 4.0 inline 6 engine.

Went wheeling yesterday and had a blast but got stuck once had to winch out... But my buddy's wrangler on 35s had no issue. My axle just barely stuck on that rut. I'm running 33s. 

I really didn't want to regear because I assume it's at least a grand but idk .

10 minutes ago, billyblankss said:

I really didn't want to regear because I assume it's at least a grand but idk .

it's worth every penny. :L:  it'll put a huge smile on your face each and every time you punch the gas. :D  

just don't regear a dana 35.  invest your cash in an axle that will last.  :comanche: