this is considered exercise, right?

Pete M

out of curiosity I mapped out my general path at the one junkyard the other day.  turns out I hauled my backpack of tools over a mile. :crazy:   all that walking for a pair of hooks and a couple skidplates.  :doh:

junkyard walkin.jpg

10 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

Looks like a Family Circus comic strip.

I laughed way too hard at that....:laugh:

I go to 2 different primary junkyards (both owned by the same company, one close to me and another one up in Richmond about 20 miles north of me).  I like the closer one for obvious reasons, but it's laid out in a linear fashion, and the Ford and Chryco sections are the two farthest away from the entrance.  Far enough away that I would pay them $1 for a shuttle/golf cart ride down to them each time I went.  The other one up in Richmond is laid out in square sections, and the Chryco and Ford sections are right outside the door.  Close enough that I usually don't even drag any tools in when I first go.  If I see something I want, it's like a 30 second walk back thru the building to my car to get what I need.  The other yard, I take damn near every tool I carry and get a wheelbarrow.  You can waste a good 10-20 minutes walking back to your vehicle to grab a forgotten tool (and you have to drag all of your tools you have back with you when you go.....no way I'd take the chance of leaving them inside the yard alone).

I used google maps.  zoom in on a location, right click and choose "measure distance".  then each successive click charts a path and give you a total. 

22 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

easy mile a day to keep the rig on its way.. :teehee:

nice :D 

56 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

and the Chryco and Ford sections are right outside the door. 

what?!  I thought every yard in the world had the chrysler stuff at the very furthest back corner?  :fistshake2:

The yard closest to me:  https://chesterfieldauto.com/yard-map-fort-lee/

The Richmond yard (the Ford section looks alot farther away than it actually is):  https://chesterfieldauto.com/yard-map-richmond/

They have a third yard, but it's about a 30 minute ride from my house.  It's mostly all full size trucks and big SUV's (but they do have the occasional KJ there):  https://chesterfieldauto.com/yard-map-trucks/

1 hour ago, Jesse J said:

yes it is for an old man like you:))

you young whipper snappers will get your day. :D   when you wake up in the morning and discover muscles in your back you didn't know you had.  :laugh: 

but the original comment wasn't because I thought it was hard, it was that I got almost nothing for my efforts and was curious as to how far I trod for stupid hooks and plates.  :brickwall: 

did the other yard too.  turns out it was about the same walk after I stupidly walked out without a wheelbarrow and had to go all the way back to the parking lot to get one. :doh:  but at least this time I left with the ZJ OME suspension parts.  that's a walk that's worthwhile :D 

junkyard walk 2.jpg

3 hours ago, Jesse J said:

Yeah I'm scared of getting old must suck just hurting all the time. that's impressive I still haven't gotten up the guts to ask my dad to take me to the yard. I need to buy vinyl and headliner before I do though.

Don't worry the degradation starts pretty much right after your teenage years...

8 hours ago, Jesse J said:

Yeah I'm scared of getting old must suck just hurting all the time. that's impressive I still haven't gotten up the guts to ask my dad to take me to the yard. I need to buy vinyl and headliner before I do though.

It's better than the alternative. I always say any day above ground and vertical is a good day.

Pain is just the weakness leaving your body...

oh, but you can do something about it.  go full Jedi and use your brain when trying to move really heavy objects, not your back.   :D  meaning hand carts, cherry pickers, lifting straps, or a couple friends.  man-handling axles and transmissions on your own is a sure fire way to find a weak spot in your spine one day.  :crazy: 

You're right, you shouldn't worry. But Pete's right, too, there is a LOT you can do. In my career, back injuries are the #1 cause of disability retirement. But I have NEVER hurt my back on the job, since changing careers at 38, even doing some amazing things. It's all about keeping in shape, stretching and planning your work.