should I lift 4" or 6.5"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well 

4 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Don’t cheap out on a lift. That can be dangerous and ride poorly. 

well yeah I'm not trying to kill myself but highschooler here I don't have money coming out of my ears, i have some cash just looking for the right kit.

2 hours ago, Jessemj said:

well 

well yeah I'm not trying to kill myself but highschooler here I don't have money coming out of my ears, i have some cash just looking for the right kit.

I’m 16 currently. I have a link to a 3(ish) inch rear lift that I did on my truck for the rear. You should be able to pick up a used XJ 3 inch lift for cheapish and modify it like I did. I used a 3 inch XJ lift in the front and put some of the leafs in my current pack to net about 3 inches of lift. 

Also, from one high schooler to another, I will tell you that a shiny truck will get you more attention than a lifted one.

Here is a picture of mine. My parents didn’t pay for a single thing on it. 

6718FF86-ADFE-44D3-9BE7-7FBAB3474A1F.jpeg.419603bc7d7deb49c8abfc4a7c1b6b43.jpeg

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about daily driving an MJ in high school or need any other advice about HS. 

I'd also recommend the 4".  Less to deal with going that route and tire size beats lift in real world application anyway.  Also I don't believe even at 6.5" lift that you'd need an sye.  

What are you running for drivetrain, axles, and gear ratio?

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

I’m 16 currently. I have a link to a 3(ish) inch rear lift that I did on my truck for the rear. You should be able to pick up a used XJ 3 inch lift for cheapish and modify it like I did. I used a 3 inch XJ lift in the front and put some of the leafs in my current pack to net about 3 inches of lift. 

Also, from one high schooler to another, I will tell you that a shiny truck will get you more attention than a lifted one.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about daily driving an MJ in high school or need any other advice about HS. 

Nice rig! And good advice regarding keeping it clean

2 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I am a senior as well 

6.5" lift long arm set up. run 33s now and still be good to run 35s later. pretty much only difference in parts is a bigger spring. soa is common for rear lift and this is good time to swapout axles. but its more then just lift for them bigger tires, axles and gears are the unseen parts that makes all the differences. whichever idea is a complete list of parts and have on hand before swapping. do research based off your end goal with rig, build for 2 sizes bigger then the tire you want now. unless dead set on tire now. 

9 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

6.5" lift long arm set up. run 33s now and still be good to run 35s later. pretty much only difference in parts is a bigger spring. soa is common for rear lift and this is good time to swapout axles. but its more then just lift for them bigger tires, axles and gears are the unseen parts that makes all the differences. whichever idea is a complete list of parts and have on hand before swapping. do research based off your end goal with rig, build for 2 sizes bigger then the tire you want now. unless dead set on tire now. 

Thats my plan I think. 6.5 rustys kit swap the rear for a c8.25 and keep the stock front axle(a front axle swap seems difficult maybe?) with 4.56 gears. Also what is an soa kit and what does it include

2 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Keep in mind, steering and brakes are often overlooked but essential for obvious reasons. The higher you lift and the bigger the tires the more inadequate stock components are. 

I'm planning to swap the rear for a c8.25 with zj brakes.

An SYE is nice but not necessary even at 6.5"

Personally I like to go a bit taller on MJs due to the long wheel base, low cog is cool on short wheelbase rigs but it's a nightmare with a long wheelbase and lots of exposed belly, I would go 6.5"

1 minute ago, mnkyboy said:

An SYE is nice but not necessary even at 6.5"

Personally I like to go a bit taller on MJs due to the long wheel base, low cog is cool on short wheelbase rigs but it's a nightmare with a long wheelbase and lots of exposed belly, I would go 6.5"

yeah thats my thought too. why would an sye be nice not necessary?

SYE is significantly stronger than a stock output so it's a nice upgrade.(assuming you do a full kit and not a hack n tap)

Otherwise the MJ has a mile long driveshaft so you could probably lift it over a foot and still not need an SYE to correct driveline angle issues.

17 minutes ago, mnkyboy said:

SYE is significantly stronger than a stock output so it's a nice upgrade.(assuming you do a full kit and not a hack n tap)

Otherwise the MJ has a mile long driveshaft so you could probably lift it over a foot and still not need an SYE to correct driveline angle issues.

oh cool. I want to go rustys but I've heard bad things. any suggestions?

no need to swap just yet. unless get axle with gears installed for your plans. then it be worth it. its not bad of a swap and in doing so you can add some reinforcements to the weak areas. biggest idea is have a light foot let the gears do the work.  

2 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

no need to swap just yet. unless get axle with gears installed for your plans. then it be worth it. its not bad of a swap and in doing so you can add some reinforcements to the weak areas. biggest idea is have a light foot let the gears do the work.  

planning one 4.56 with 33s with a c8.25 rear. Good plan or no

A few things, as to manual or auto? That is towards what you will need to regear to. The other is location. I'm at 4-1/2 on an XJ and 32"s. In Indiana, its OK. I do travel WV, a lot more turns. Some hairpins, or Kissemhienie.  So, for 33's, I'd go 4 inch lift. Still, a lot to beef up at that. Brakes, steering etc. Hey, I'm beefing up a 2" lift presently. 

3 minutes ago, 75sv1 said:

A few things, as to manual or auto? That is towards what you will need to regear to. The other is location. I'm at 4-1/2 on an XJ and 32"s. In Indiana, its OK. I do travel WV, a lot more turns. Some hairpins, or Kissemhienie.  So, for 33's, I'd go 4 inch lift. Still, a lot to beef up at that. Brakes, steering etc. Hey, I'm beefing up a 2" lift presently. 

I'm just planning it out right now. the mjs in my area are rare and in too good condition for me to get. but it will likely be manual everyone ive seen is stick