should I lift 4" or 6.5"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something like this, you just find the kit for the tube diameter of the axle you want.

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Ford-88-Axle-Swap-Combo_p_142.html

I like to wait on shocks until I have the suspension on, that way you can cycle the suspension and measure the exact extended/collapsed shock measurements you need.

Up front you will likely want about a 12"-13"travel shock but the rear will depend on how you mount the shock tabs, I like to mount them as low as I can to get the longest travel shock I can.

Front stiffeners you can DIY, I make my own with a template. I also have a .DXF file of them if you have access to a plasma table.

They are also pretty cheap, the front portion is the same as an XJ so there's lots of options.

I believe T&M fab is the only option for a full MJ stiffener kit right now, others are working on it though.

thanks a lot for all the help you've given me its been incredibly helpful especially for a noob like me I'm glad i came to the forums. another question, will just an soa give me 6 or 6.5 in the rear? also how squishy should the coils be?

10 minutes ago, Jessemj said:

will just an soa give me 6 or 6.5 in the rear

Yes. It really depends on how worn out your rear leaf springs are. Also, it is relatively easy to add/remove springs if you don't like the height. And MJs sit a little higher in the back, so you could have a lift that is an inch taller in the front and the rear will still probably be higher.

3 minutes ago, Jessemj said:

huh ok then. 

If you want more confusion, it is commonly believed that 2wd leaf springs make the truck sit 1" lower than 4wd leaf springs. If I were you, I would look for 5-5.5" lift springs. Having the extra bit of rake is nice if you plan on putting anything in the bed (before my add a leaf, when my truck sat level, I could make my truck squat about 1" just by getting in the bed. I weigh 120 lbs)

1 minute ago, 89 MJ said:

If you want more confusion, it is commonly believed that 2wd leaf springs make the truck sit 1" lower than 4wd leaf springs. If I were you, I would look for 5-5.5" lift springs. Having the extra bit of rake is nice if you plan on putting anything in the bed (before my add a leaf, when my truck sat level, I could make my truck squat about 1" just by getting in the bed. I weigh 120 lbs)

will do. thanks man.

XJ springs are the same, most of the front end stuff will be the same as an XJ.

The coils will typically be listed under lift height so a 6" lift coil for an XJ/MJ should give you approximately 6" of lift.  some may also list free length of the coils,longer is typically better as it will give you more travel before the spring unseats when you flex.

You don't hear much bad about anybodys coils so whatever you go with should work ok. I had Rough country 6.5" coils on my MJ up until I went coil over, RC is typically considered cheap junk but even those rode decent compared to other brands.

I haven't personally tried them but Metal cloaks dual rates sound pretty nice, might be worth looking into.

Many companies may not list spring rates until you get into coilovers so you may have to check reviews to see how the different brands ride,any coil sold specifically for an XJ/MJ should have a spring rate that's adequate for the weight of your truck, some may just be softer or stiffer than others.

Shock valving will drastically change how the rig rides, unfortunately unless you are buying cool guy shocks there isn't really a way to know what valving your gonna get till you get them, it took a few shocks to find a good combination for my MJ.

Spring rate and link geometry also affect the ride but when people complain about poor ride quality,often a lot of it is the shocks. 

I'm running 8.5" rusty coils and they are stiff. better then my leaf setup, just have a cheapo 100 set of shocks. i know shocks are important so ill wait to buy a good set again when i can justify it. however the need and want are becoming close in alignment. :grinyes:

On 10/23/2020 at 10:40 AM, 89 MJ said:

I can't find mj specific 5.5 or 5" leafs. do you know if xj springs will work. if not what springs do I look for

40 minutes ago, Jessemj said:

I can't find mj specific 5.5 or 5" leafs. do you know if xj springs will work. if not what springs do I look for

Sorry, I was talking about 5-5.5” front coils. SOA will get you about 5.5 ish inches in the rear. 

7 hours ago, Jessemj said:

what is shock valving? also what shocks is a good combo for ride quality with money in mind?

best to save and keep money in mind when it comes to performance and quality that will keep up and hold up best to get a high quality shock that will last and perhaps rebuild able capabilities might be better for you in the long run. .  

7 hours ago, Jessemj said:

what is shock valving?

There are valves inside the shocks that control how firm or stiff they are in both compression and rebound.  Different types of shocks have different size valves to give you a firmer or softer ride.  Some are even adjustable so you can dial up or down how stiff the shock is by just turning a knob on the outside of the shock.

To the OP, I suggest you do some research on some of these subjects before you start any lift. Look up leaf springs vs coil springs. See what the control arms, track bar and sway bar do in a link suspension setup, lookup shock design, check into differentials and lockers and see how they work, look at steering geometry and read up on our tech and diy for MJ specific info. All of this info is online and there are plenty of very good videos explaining how these systems work. A basic grasp of these systems will help you make the best choices when modding. 

22 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Sorry, I was talking about 5-5.5” front coils. SOA will get you about 5.5 ish inches in the rear. 

If I'm lifting 6.5 in the front it will be all squatted. how do i even it out or, preferably, get the stock rake 

19 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

To the OP, I suggest you do some research on some of these subjects before you start any lift. Look up leaf springs vs coil springs. See what the control arms, track bar and sway bar do in a link suspension setup, lookup shock design, check into differentials and lockers and see how they work, look at steering geometry and read up on our tech and diy for MJ specific info. All of this info is online and there are plenty of very good videos explaining how these systems work. A basic grasp of these systems will help you make the best choices when modding. 

I am, this is research too.