Wiper speeds.

Yes. An Arizonan is concerned with how fast his wiper blades move. Lol. 

Anyways it’s been on my mind for quite sometime but not enough to address it. 

My question is, how fast does your blades move and what have you done to help them move fast in say a rough down pour? 

I’ve done everything I could think to the wiper system, added a ground to the motor, replaced the linkage bushings, lubed them up too, cleaned all electrical contacts and feel they are still slow. Now it could be just me expecting 30 year old wiper system to work like modern wipers, but for those of you guys have owned yours since new or know about the wipers, had they always been kinda slow and so the blades commonly drag a bit? 

Following this thread for sure. I have new bushings and a new reman motor and they are super slow on low or high. However, they are very good while on intermittent even if I have it set on the shortest pause interval. I plan to add a ground very soon but it doesn't sound like that helps much, although I'll put one on anyway as that is literally the only ground I have not added per Cruiser's tips. 

I have not checked for voltage....yet. Whats weird is I experience the same issue as Wahoo with intermittent working great(which rules out the corrosion in the box) but low and high just flat out suck for speed and drag. My next thing I was going to do was bypass the box and see if anything changes and rule in that perhaps there is corrosion in the governor that isnt allowing voltage to pass through the box.

• 3 months later...

Sooooo....I want to follow up on this.

Today for whatever reason AZ weather decided to present us one hell of a day with rains, wind and hail. I drove mostly in the rain and I had the wipers on till it got bad to where I needed them on the high setting. Remembering that they have speed issues I decided to give them a shot. Welllll they worked, flawlessly. No dragging or stuttering on HI and it was awesome.

"But eagle, what did you do to fix this issue?"

Glad yall could ask. I sprayed lithium grease liberally at any thing that moved in the linkage, so the balls the bushings were on to just a simple joint was liberally lubricated. I didnt do anything after that other than turn on the wipers to let them cycle. I would say thats my answer as I did nothing else to them after spraying the lithium grease on the linkage. I think I used actual lithium grease too in some spots.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Sooooo....I want to follow up on this.

Today for whatever reason AZ weather decided to present us one hell of a day with rains, wind and hail. I drove mostly in the rain and I had the wipers on till it got bad to where I needed them on the high setting. Remembering that they have speed issues I decided to give them a shot. Welllll they worked, flawlessly. No dragging or sturting on HI and it was awesome.

"But eagle, what did you do to fix this issue?"

Glad yall could assk. I sprayed lithium grease liberally at any thing that moved in the linkage, so the balls the bushings were on to just a simple joint was liberally lubricated. I didnt do anything after that other than turn on the wipers to let them cycle. I would say thats my answer as I did nothing else to them after spraying the lithium grease on the linkage. I think I used actual lithium grease too in some spots.

Good info! I used marine grease on all the bushings and mine are respectably fast as well 

I have before-after videos of replacing the wiper bushings in my 91 XJ.  They were worn and had a bad clunk when changing directions.  I also greased all my pivot points with white lithium grease.  Cured the clunk and ran smoother, but I don't notice any major differences in speed when looking at the videos.  

One thing I have noticed, wipers are noticeably faster when the windshield is wet (less drag).  Maybe grab a hose and do a "wet test", maybe they aren't as bad as you think.

I'm also a believer in Rainx.  I clean my windshields with #000 steel wool, then with 'Invisible Glass' glass cleaner, then coat with Rainx.  I also use the Rainx windshield fluid, it is better than the generic stuff.

1 hour ago, cruiser54 said:

Ever open up the motor and see the "grease" inside?

It's like wax.  clean it out and put moly grease in it's place. 

Yup! Motor regrease was done sometime after the bushing replacement, still no dice. Did the ground upgrade shortly after the greasing the motor and was still no improvement. 

General tip for everyone, not just you: Grounds get a lot of attention on this site, as they well should. Don't forget to check the hot side of the circuit. You say you've already done grounds, but there's just as many chances for a bad connection on the positive side of the circuit. I'm thinking ignition switch, wire harness junction connector, etc.

The ignition switch developed high internal resistance in my 89, which caused heat checking to the plug and very poor operation of ignition-on accessories. Replacing the switch immediately made those items work better.