Spark Plugs

What plugs do you run?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What plugs do you run?

• Copper
    • Platinum
    • Platinum with multiple grounds
    • Other

What do you all run in your motors? Copper, Platinum, Platinum +2, Platinum +4, Iridium, Diamond Fire?

I've heard the iridium will help out a bit with MPI motors, but do little for carb and TBI motors.

I've got my 2.5 TBI and melted down one of my copper plugs, and was thinking of just moving to standard platinum, but what do you all have experience with?

x3 on the Champions (truck plugs if they have them).

I put a set of those Bosch +4 Platinums in my wife's (now mine) car a couple months ago, and just yanked them out last weekend. Crappy idle, hard starting, and mileage dropped off. Put a set of OEM copper plugs in and it purrs now.

Jeff

x3 on the Champions (truck plugs if they have them).

I put a set of those Bosch +4 Platinums in my wife's (now mine) car a couple months ago, and just yanked them out last weekend. Crappy idle, hard starting, and mileage dropped off. Put a set of OEM copper plugs in and it purrs now.

Jeff

yeah with the price of platinum now days I seriously doubt theres all that much in those plugs.

You left off Iridium Plugs

These are basically life time plug well maybe not in a Jeep 4.L but they should run an honest 100k or better. In a engine that in good working order of course

sure they cost 2 to 3 times as much depending were you buy but last 5x as long on average and give over 90% of the performance long into its life, standard plugs (Non plat or irid) start losing performance in as little as 10k miles and use much more voltage to spark.

The OEM-recommended replacement interval for iridium plugs is 120,000 miles. 8)

You get that performance with much less demand on your ignition system.

Have a set with 30K and they look brand new as far as side wire and center electrode condition.

Anyway that’s what I buy

I tried about 4 different types of plugs in my 2.5 in the TJ. Splitfires, Bosch platinums, etc. Just didn't run right. I talked to an experienced engine builder I know & he told me to run the OEM plugs & ONLY the OEM plugs. I went back to them & it runs better on the plain old Champions.

Must depend on the ignition somewhat. I had a built 350 chevy in a mud basher that really woke up when I threw in some NGK's. Had a fuel injected Harley that gained noticeable power by running the Screamin' Eagle Splitfires.

I just put a set of NGK Vpower into the eliminator, and it seemd to pull through the midrange better. Or I just may be crazy :nuts: . I have always used NGK with little problem. But in a Jeep things are always different.

:Canadaflag:

Marty

Spark plugs are over-rated. I use copper. NGKs instead of champions right now, but only because that's what was in stock at the parts store.

They have to be gapped every now and then. Which is alright, you should take them out and have a look at them anyways.

IMHO, gapping and heat range has far more effect on performance than plug type.