Transmission and Tranfer-Case ?

Yeah I shopped around and shops want around 800 for the tranny and 250 for the T-case 

I'm gonna take apart the T-case and see if I can just reseal it back together with RTV so it don’t leak no more 

any suggestions on what type of RTV to use or will just about any type work? 

4 hours ago, AMC86Kid said:

rebuilt these at home 

How mechanically skilled are you? From some of your other threads and questions, I would be hesitant about advising you to rebuilding the transmission yourself. Start with the transfercase and see how you feel. The transfer case should be quite a bit easier and more straightforward than a transmission. Not saying don't do it, just go in with your eyes open. Good luck!

i wouldnt suggest messing with an auto transmision unless you have enough experience, get some bad trannies from the junkyard and try with those first, learn how to dissassemble it and rea ssemble it until you can do it blindfolded, also get the service manual and read it cover to cover before doing anything...

a transfer case is easy for almost any one with opposible thumbs, you can use almost any RTV as long as it comes froma  good brand

Yes I do agree with J.E.E.P 

I'm starting with the transfer case first then decide if I’m gonna pay a shop to do the tranny 

right now now I have all the bolts out the T-case but the security 12 point 10mm one that’s on it, I will have to go buy a socket for it tomorrow 

Rebuilding a transfer case would be much easier than rebuilding an automatic transmission, and if you're going to learn to rebuild a drivetrain component, that's what I would start off with.

Just make sure you have a copy of either a rebuild manual for the exact model of transfer case you have or better yet, an FSM that includes this. That'll include important stuff like torque specs and any special instructions that need to be followed.

8 hours ago, omega_rugal said:

don´t forget to get ALL the tools requiered before you begin. it sucks to have everything dissaembled and THEN realize you need a special tool...

BFH and duck tape. 

what more you need?

ok well i managed to take the t-case apart and the inside looks pretty good 

dirty but the parts don't look all chewed up 

one thing that looked interesting was when i inspected this piece i noticed it was blue 

and not offset white like all the other pieces 

does this mean that someone else had worked on it in the past ??

05434D6A-B335-4F78-85F7-2278CF536007.jpeg

Ok so i finally got all the t-case parts cleaned

now its ready for reassembly 

i sure hope i manage to get it all back together correctly 

my question is do i just go crazy with the gasket sealer to make sure it doesn't leak no more?

350EA5DD-533D-4CF8-A3EC-059BA41BBFE5.jpeg

9BD45B3E-F964-45F7-BC1A-9AD7506E526C.jpeg

24 minutes ago, AMC86Kid said:

Nice so where should I look for this fill plug ?

image.jpeg.09c96dd8a715efa4e1c8be6cd218d57a.jpeg

See those two sort of bronze colored hex head plugs on the back case half at the top of the photo above?

Those are the drain and fill plugs.  I would be wise to remove both and clean their threads before refilling.