Shht happens

Sorry for your loss..  I assume everyone is okay?  What happened?

I wish people would pay attention, I was very nearly rear-ended by a mustang on my way home today, luckily I pay attention and was able to get out of their way.  They almost hit the car that was infront of me they were going so fast.

7 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Sub-frame, oil pan, steering sector, front axle, control arms and mounts at frame............lot of damage there. 

Front clip ain't gonna fix that one. 

Lots of time on the frame rack for that one. 

Sorry. 

I'm not too sure frame really has any damage. It was their rear pass qtr to my front driver. Then my front pass qtr hit a concrete barrier with the wheel primarily. 

Started some tare down and investigating damages....

Still mostly looks like fender damage. 

The inner fender wells need new front pieces, drill out factory welds and weld in new front portions.

The frame, from a glance, only has damage on the very tip where the bumper meets. The bumper brackets folded over and took some of the metal with it on both sides. 

The worst part I found in the cab.

The passenger floor... was shoved in with the wheel, at the seam.

On 2/28/2020 at 11:16 AM, Wounded_Fighter said:

Can someone measure the area between the frame in engine bay? Maybe in 2 spots and describe the location or pic of it?

One important spot will be the very front for bumper attachment area.

Need to check my frame.

There's a picture from the FSM with frame dimensions.  I may still have it but I know I'd hosted it on Photobucket (which is gone).  I'm not home to take another one from the FSM...  But I'll look.

Edit - I do not have it anymore, but anyone with an 89-92 FSM (it was a Chrysler drawing rather than an AMC one) should be able to get it for you, or look on Cruiser's site to see if he has a FSM in that year range.

So, they claim it's a total loss... my options are essentially, 

Take money and salvage title... or

Take nothing and keep a clean title.

Anyone ever fought with insurance against the vehicle being totaled and still got a payout and the clean title? 

What did you have to do? 

3 hours ago, Wounded_Fighter said:

So, they claim it's a total loss... my options are essentially, 

Take money and salvage title... or

Take nothing and keep a clean title.

Anyone ever fought with insurance against the vehicle being totaled and still got a payout and the clean title? 

What did you have to do? 

I realize you are not in Virginia but this is VA DMV's policy:

Effective July 1, 2017, any salvage vehicle that has been repaired for use on the public highways or any late model vehicle that has been repaired and the estimated cost of repair exceeded 75 percent of its actual cash value, will receive a certificate of title branded as “REBUILT”.

Rebuilt Vehicle Examinations - Virginia DMV - Virginia.gov

You might want to push your case with the insurance company for the amount of damages.  i have not had a need to file a claim with my insurance company but I did ask the agent about what would be paid on a 30 year old truck.  He said that if  you can prove what you have spent on restoring your truck, they will consider that.  I realize yours was purchased by you originally and in a sense, it is more a preservation that an restoration (preservation from the beginning is the best!) but you are likely to have had major bills along the way.