Shht happens

8 minutes ago, jdog said:

more then likely they just think it's a 30 year old truck and not worth the time to fix it

That's not the problem. 

Problem is- That's about a $8000 repair and the truck is worth $4500 to $6000 on it's best day. 

OP, take the cash and don't worry about the salvage title, means little. 

3 hours ago, jdog said:

What's the breakdown of the cost to repair it, more then likely they just think it's a 30 year old truck and not worth the time to fix it

Unfortunately, from an insurance perspective it's not worth fixing it. Two (or three?) years back I had a fairly minor fender bender in the 2000 XJ. No frame damage. Right front fender, radiator, bumper, header. I don't think the grille was touched. Repair estimate from the shop my insurance company recommends was $4,800 ... and the blue book on the 2000 Cherokee Sport at that time was about $4,500. They didn't care that it was in showroom condition and had less than 40,000 miles on it. They went by book value, not by "aficionado" value.

In the end, the shop worked with me and lowered the estimate a tad (I had used them before, so they were willing to be a tiny bit accommodating) and the adjuster for the company appreciated my situation with the vehicle and he tweaked his valuation a bit, and it got repaired without a salvage title. But it was VERY close. I think Jeep Driver is being kind with a guess of $8,000 to repair your MJ -- it could easily run more than that, and the insurance company is going to go by straight book value. For a 30-year old Comanche, that's probably about $500.

A salvage (or repair) title is a title. If you don't plan on selling the vehicle -- who cares? You can still register it and drive it. If you decide to sell, a salvage/repair title will bother buyers who don't know anything about cars, but those people aren't the people who will be buying a 30 (or 40) year-old Comanche. People who would look at an old Comanche will either now enough to evaluate the vehicle and not the piece of paper, or they'll bring a friend who knows what he's looking at.

23 hours ago, jdog said:

What's the breakdown of the cost to repair it, more then likely they just think it's a 30 year old truck and not worth the time to fix it

I imagine quite a lot since they want to give me just north of 3k$ for it (if they take it, 2.5k I keep it).

Doing some more tare down, got the axle half way off. Back pain sucks, but what sucks more is frame damage. My heart sank a little finding this. Purely because frame damage is a huge grey area in my knowledge. It appears that the upper control arm split in half and shot into the frame.

20200315_143155.jpg.c46e73140612e24d0fb44193f6c6c9be.jpg

20200315_143206.jpg.6c332e238bbc080f003b451e16be6291.jpg

20200315_143212.jpg.43bee9b4d3480486b1ef41dfd269b7bd.jpg

Edit: I'm going to attempt to get their breakdown purely for my curiosity on the numbers.

6 hours ago, Wounded_Fighter said:

Edit: I'm going to attempt to get their breakdown purely for my curiosity on the numbers.

Their numbers will be unrealistic for three reasons.........I suspect- 

All they need to do is meet the threshold for Total Loss. 

Secondly, damage like that on a newer vehicle will be open ended, meaning once the body shop begins to take it apart and find hidden damage the estimate will be amended. 

Thirdly, and to the first reason, they will use standard costs which are not realistic. Example, they may list the front axle at $500 whereas any of us will find one for $150. You'll pick up a front fender for $50 and they will list an aftermarket for $250. End result is meeting the threshold quickly and declaring the loss and cutting you a check ASAP, IOWs get rid of you as quickly as possible. 

You have a lot of damage there.........even your exhaust, oil pan and possible internal damage, and surely transmission damage.

And, you will need frame time, my guess is 6-7 hours of frame machine time.......$1200. Just a guess. 

On 3/15/2020 at 10:40 PM, Jeep Driver said:

Their numbers will be unrealistic for three reasons.........I suspect- 

All they need to do is meet the threshold for Total Loss. 

While this is true their estimate of damages was way past the threshold. 5300$ in damages estimated for a 3300$ truck.

And they did have 2 hours on a frame machine in the breakdown. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

What's your truck looking like now?

She's still apart. I should be starting to piece it together soon. Getting what I need off an XJ as we speak. Also my paint guy finished with my parts! So I can reseal my motor again. Fun.

Old image, XJ(leftside) hood, axle,  motor, trans, and case are removed now (not using them but it's taken some of my time.)

20200424_190501.jpg.fa1224e7c7c6716e2f44b146e43a55c3.jpg

• 1 month later...

So. "The truth is in the pudding" right? 

Nothing is welded in yet. Everything is only dry fitted so far. I have a coworker who use to work at a body shop going to come take a look at the vehicle before I weld it together, give me some piece of mind in making sure I have them in the right spots. 

That said.. yall are probably right, it might need a little frame time. 

Frame thoughts aside. What do you think so far?

This seems to be the only problem. Hood, and pass corner ( where the radiator support meets the front fender inner structure) though both of these came from the donor, and "should" be straight. 

Everything else lines up.

20200608_191255.jpg.7c2210c103fcab667354dbd1103f3084.jpg

20200608_191243.jpg.3d252fb580025ef9f64c4f046bf25685.jpg

20200608_191250.jpg.fcf39306db393e5d6f64761b96d120ba.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...