My turn to buy a house

derf

1 hour ago, derf said:

So... There is an issue with the foundation and the seller is refusing to have a structural engineer look at it.

He's a contractor so he probably knows it's going to cost him plenty to fix it.

It may be time to pull the eject handle on this one...

Yep, pass. Unless he's already priced it accordingly with the damage he's going to be sitting on that for a while. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just don't understand the sellers that refuse to have the issues addressed.

Here's my logic: If I have an inspection done and I provide the report to you, any issues that you choose not to fix will have to be declared to every potential buyer going forward. Failure to declare opens you up to a lawsuit down the line, since you had knowledge of the issue (complete with a paper trail documenting this knowledge) and chose to hide the issue. It will be better for you in all respects to just fix the issue and complete the sale with me, instead of putting it back on the market and having to fix it later or run the risk of litigation.

If you've priced in the damage, that's a vital detail that you need to mention.

If the seller won't fix something as important as this, he/she's probably a pain in the @$$ to deal with. Sounds like you dodged a bullet!

Yep.  No way I'm buying a house with foundation issues.

I've been working through the list of good candidates that fall through for one reason or another.  Found one that was really great but a bidding war erupted before I even got my offer in.  It was way above estimate so I walked away.  I'm going to go look at 2 more houses tomorrow though.

I hate house shopping.

5 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

Buying a house is hands down the worst thing I've ever had to do.

Probably not pertinent to this discussion, but this is why I only buy land. I built my own house just the way I wanted it, without anyone's opinions or issues affecting me. And in case anyone is thinking it, I only buy land in rural county area so there are no inspections for what I build. Its good enough for me, and that's good enough.

Probably not pertinent to this discussion, but this is why I only buy land. I built my own house just the way I wanted it, without anyone's opinions or issues affecting me. And in case anyone is thinking it, I only buy land in rural county area so there are no inspections for what I build. Its good enough for me, and that's good enough.
Would love to do that, but everyone here is insane on prices, even on land.

Stock 1988 swb 4.0 ax15 np 231.

17 minutes ago, jdog said:

Did you bid on it? Or is it on the possible to buy list

Stock 1988 swb 4.0 ax15 np 231.

I have 2 more to look at tomorrow and Saturday.  It's been on the market a while so I don't need to be in a hurry with this one.

3 hours ago, derf said:

Looked at a house today with a parts washer and a 220v drop in the insulated heated garage.  I'm a fan.

240 in the garage is nice.  Cost me a grand to upgrade the electric service of my spa and the garage..  But well worth it.  Dumped the electric stove and the electric double oven at the same time.  So that saved me another $3K.

When a long term tenant moved out of Alita's rental, we discovered someone had been stealing electricity to support a 12 x 16 shed grow room More importantly, they left bare, exposed live wires.  Local  utility pulled their power wires and she had to spend $4K to fix the issues.  I put a new floor in the shed/grow room..

I looked at 7 houses this weekend

It looks like the house with a 3 car garage is going to be a miss.

The one with the parts washer is still a possibility.

I hate house hunting.

So the seller, who has been sitting on this overpriced house for almost 2 months, is being a pain to deal with.  He ended up getting 3 offers (one mine) today.  He doesn't want to work with an escalation clause.  So it's time to move on.

3 up, 3 down.  End of an inning.

Time for the 7th inning stretch.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:07 PM, derf said:

I hate house hunting.

Chill.  You are smart and can make good choices.   Think of it as an adventure.  A game where you are the winner.  Get your mind on right.  Don't get in a twist and rush to buy something that you might not want later.  You are wise to look at a lot of houses over a short period of time. It is easy to forget features if you spread it out.  

11 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Chill.  You are smart and can make good choices.   Think of it as an adventure.  A game where you are the winner.  Get your mind on right.  Don't get in a twist and rush to buy something that you might not want later.  You are wise to look at a lot of houses over a short period of time. It is easy to forget features if you spread it out.  

Yeah, I'm not in a rush because I can do month-to-month on my lease.  It's just frustrating dealing with idiotic sellers.  And competing with stupid buyers who are over paying and snapping up stuff fast, driving up prices.

I'm set to look at one after work today.  It's been on the market a while.  It's on the corner of a side street and a major thoroughfare.  The garage opens to the major street which is "less than ideal".  But it has a stop light at the intersection.  And it may be possible to reconfigure the garage to open into the alley rather than the main street.  So it's worth looking at.

But, like every house on the market that's been there for a long time, there's usually a good reason why it's not selling in this market.

And starting tomorrow, the next round of houses should start hitting the market so the search will continue.

18 minutes ago, derf said:

I'm set to look at one after work today.  It's been on the market a while.  It's on the corner of a side street and a major thoroughfare.  The garage opens to the major street which is "less than ideal".  But it has a stop light at the intersection.  And it may be possible to reconfigure the garage to open into the alley rather than the main street.  So it's worth looking at.

Following your thinking; don't waste time looking at it.  You already know that it is a problem house. Put the money you would spend on changing the garage entrance in another house.  It would be harder for  you to sell when the time comes, just as it is for the current owner.   On advice of counsel, I hear you are a star in the making. :))

32 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Following your thinking; don't waste time looking at it.  You already know that it is a problem house. Put the money you would spend on changing the garage entrance in another house.  It would be harder for  you to sell when the time comes, just as it is for the current owner.   On advice of counsel, I hear you are a star in the making. :))

I'm just being thorough.  I have nothing going on after work and I want another data point in my research on traffic patterns to see how the commute will look to that part of town.  I likely won't want to buy it but it's worth looking for several reasons.

They are all worth looking at. You never know if your don't look. When I was house hunting I overlooked the house I ended up buying for quite a while. I am still very happy with the purchase. There were a couple things I thought were deal breakers until I liked at the house. 

9 hours ago, derf said:

And competing with stupid buyers who are over paying and snapping up stuff fast, driving up prices.

Man I hear ya on that. I put an offer on a house listed for $550k, offered above asking and still didn't get it. Just found out it sold for $587k.

$37k above asking. Jesus