My turn to buy a house

derf

22 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

They are all worth looking at. You never know if your don't look. When I was house hunting I overlooked the house I ended up buying for quite a while. I am still very happy with the purchase. There were a couple things I thought were deal breakers until I liked at the house. 

So this one certainly isn't the right one.  There were a couple reasons this one isn't selling.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's just it.  I'm getting out bid on run down shanties that need a ton of work.  And as we get later into spring and summer, the competition is just going to get worse.

I'm probably just going to hold off until September and then start looking.  The summer blitz will be over and fewer people will be fighting for houses.  I'm in a decent house now that I can do month-to-month until the feeding frenzy is over.  Besides, I'll have a more solid down payment in 6 months, making it easier to have better leverage.

1 hour ago, derf said:

That's just it.  I'm getting out bid on run down shanties that need a ton of work.  And as we get later into spring and summer, the competition is just going to get worse.

I'm probably just going to hold off until September and then start looking.  The summer blitz will be over and fewer people will be fighting for houses.  I'm in a decent house now that I can do month-to-month until the feeding frenzy is over.  Besides, I'll have a more solid down payment in 6 months, making it easier to have better leverage.

True, we always bought in off season with the exception of last time because we built. One thing I would say I learned is if someone will let you borrow money cheap do it. 20% on a loan these days isnt the best choice. But check and see. We put down 10% on the newest and our PMI was super low. 

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah, only a few houses I've been looking at have gone under contract lately but it looks like sales have tapered off quite a bit.  My decision to hold off for a little bit may pay off handsomely depending on what happens to the market in the next month or three, both with interest rates and with house prices.

Besides, my bonus at work was a lot bigger than expected so I have some more flexibility in what I'm looking at...

• 1 month later...

So I found a place down in Castle Rock.  Just got an offer accepted.  We'll see how this pans out.

Being near the outlet mall means it's an "easy" shot up I-25 to Lone Tree where our offices are moving or over to the main campus up Santa Fe and over.

I hope this one works out.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll snap a couple more pictures in the next day or two.  As you face the house, there's room behind the fence on the left hand side (that you can't see) to park two vehicles.  To the right is enough space to build a dedicated shop if I feel so inclined.  The garage is oversize by quite a bit.  I don't have an exact measurement but it's like 25x25 or so.

house.jpg

• 3 weeks later...