Leaf Springs

I was looking at General Springs for a set of leaf springs, they have the 1700 lb capacity 5(3/2) Item 97-571 for 249.99 each and also have the military wrap version item GSC-571 for $220.00 each with currently an 8 week lead time (custom built). Just thought someone may be interested.

Edit: Who is running the military wraps? Any comments? Thanks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Pete M said:

if you can afford it, there is literally no reason I can think of to not do a military wrap. :D 

The military wraps are actually less expensive, maybe there's a special on them.:dunno:

I was going to get a military wrap set but wanted to hear some feedback before I pull the trigger.

I ordered the military wrap set from them on 10/28 and received the tracking # literally 2 hours ago. I was also told 6-8 weeks, so a nice surprise to see a tracking # in 4!

From what I understood, the military wrap are the only ones they actually make - the others are made overseas. When I spoke with them they said the GSC571 was a custom build they did specifically for us here at CC, hence the cheaper price (already reflecting the club discount). I believe Don was the one to initiate this. These springs are not advertised to the public anywhere, unless you have and search for the GSC571 part #. 

I've got a set of the military wrap springs.  I bought them a couple years ago when there was a group buy on here.  They are supposed to provide 1" of lift over stock also.  I went to their place in Kansas City in person to pick them up.

I was kind of surprised, I guess I was expecting a spring factory.  It is not... just a warehouse in an industrial district.  I'd be surprised if any of their springs are produced in the USA.

With that said, the springs look great, and I'm finally making headway to getting them put on.  Finished tearing down my MJ Dana 44 today in preparation for rebuild.

I also got the military wrap ones in a group buy about 2 years ago. They managed to lift my MJ about 3 1/2" compared to the worn out original 2wd springs that I had. I LOVE my military wrapped 4/1 ones. I can load them up with wood from Lowe's and they barely squat, they also ride very nicely.

I purchase a set as part of the "group buy" several years ago.  I am very pleased with them.  I have loaded the bed with some camping gear and the bed doesn't even move.  The old springs would start to sag with a little bit of weight (one of the leaves was broken).  Same as Knucklehead, the back was lifted about 3.5".  I put 1.75" pucks up front to even it out, but it still has that "70's hot rod look."  The springs have not settled down, yet.

42 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

Same as Knucklehead, the back was lifted about 3.5".    The springs have not settled down, yet.

This is correct.

I also got 3.5" and these springs do not settle down.

T

10 hours ago, schardein said:

I'd be surprised if any of their springs are produced in the USA.

The military wrap springs are made in the US, the only MJ springs that are made in the US. 

18 hours ago, mjben said:

I believe Don was the one to initiate this.

No.

18 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

I was going to get a military wrap set but wanted to hear some feedback before I pull the trigger

Get the military wrap spring. Not because of the wrap but because they are higher quality. 

I first bought the standard spring from GS and ran it for a couple of years, OK spring but was not impressed. 

Glad I made the switch. 

Not directly related......but.........

There was some discussion here recently regarding a 4.0 to V8 swap and weight. 

I'm reluctant to get into any more discussion here but.........

If anyone had bothered to look up the weights they'd have found that you can actually shave about 40 or more lbs by going to the V8. And likely more so with an aluminum block LS......if you can find one and afford to acquire one. 

In my case I'm going from 2.5 to V8, not an LS. I want my truck perfectly level. 

I'll have to decide on front springs, I'll do my homework. I'd like to rely less on the ACOS and more on the spring. 

Too bad OME does not make a 3.5" spring.......ACOS already has 1.25 built in before adjustments. 

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

The military wrap springs are made in the US, the only MJ springs that are made in the US. 

I am 99.5% certain these springs are not made in the USA.  First, because my military wrapped springs arrived with "MADE IN MEXICO" stenciled on them in yellow paint.  Second, because I came across shardein's post from 2017 which pretty much confirmed this product is "shipped from Mexico."

Unfortunately, I didn't grab a pic of the stencil before I painted over it.  OP, did we mention that these spring will arrive unpainted, with no rust inhibitor?  Also, at least one guy posted on here that his bushings were installed way off center upon delivery.  If you're really lucky, you might get a spring with a manufacturing defect like a misdrilled hole for the spring pad.  See my picture below. *thumbs up*

OHWC6fC.jpg

As best I can tell, these springs are lovingly crafted by blind Mexicans, for bottom dollar.  I have no complaints about the spring's performance, but do not expect American made build quality.

18 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

...do not expect American made build quality.

Well I've seen some crappy American build quality.

Thanks for all the input guys, I found some of those threads after the group buy was mentioned. Just wanted opinions after several years of use.

9 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

I am 99.5% certain these springs are not made in the USA.  First, because my military wrapped springs arrived with "MADE IN MEXICO" stenciled on them in yellow paint.  Second, because I came across shardein's post from 2017 which pretty much confirmed this product is "shipped from Mexico."

Unfortunately, I didn't grab a pic of the stencil before I painted over it.  OP, did we mention that these spring will arrive unpainted, with no rust inhibitor?  Also, at least one guy posted on here that his bushings were installed way off center upon delivery.  If you're really lucky, you might get a spring with a manufacturing defect like a misdrilled hole for the spring pad.  See my picture below. *thumbs up*

OHWC6fC.jpg

As best I can tell, these springs are lovingly crafted by blind Mexicans, for bottom dollar.  I have no complaints about the spring's performance, but do not expect American made build quality.

You are the first to report this.......made in Mexico.

Also, your pic.....you are also the first to report poor quality.

Here, from original thread, you can clearly see USA stamped on the spring. 

13b39feb6b127506273bd36090937eaf.jpg

Also-

And-

I specifically recall my conversation with Joe, he stated that these were indeed made in the US. 

Lastly, from their website-

Why General Spring?

Your choice of a leaf spring directly affects the ride quality and hauling capacity of your vehicle — as with any suspension component, it’s important to choose a reliable replacement part from a manufacturer you trust. Here’s why General Spring is your best choice in front and rear leaf springs for any model of vehicle:

• We work exclusively with manufacturers that are full members of the Spring Research Institute (SRI), a leading industry body that upholds exceptionally high standards for quality control. This means you can shop with confidence knowing you’re getting a product that’s made in North America and built to deliver the best performance possible.
  • We store and ship items from locations all across the country, and visually inspect all parts before they are sent out to you, confirming that your order is correct and that the leaf spring itself is free from obvious defects or damage. As a result, we are able to offer an exclusive one-year warranty on all replacement leaf springs.
  • Our products meet or exceed OEM specifications. We also have extensive in-house manufacturing and modification capabilities, so we can customize any stock leaf spring to your specifications. For example, on some truck leaf springs, we replace the stock clips with metal riveted clips that provide additional strength and a smoother ride.
  • We’ve been around since 1965 and will continue to be there well into the future. Unlike big box stores, overseas suppliers or drop shippers, we are able to quickly respond to customer inquiries, special requests or warranty concerns. When it comes to automotive leaf springs, General Spring is a name you can trust.

I know I'm a real PITA........but..........

Either these are made in the US or I was lied to and the US stamping is false or someone did not get what they thought they got. 

I'm a stickler for details.........it matters. 

Heh, heh ...

Advertising writers are slick. From the quoted "blurb" about why General Springs are better:

This means you can shop with confidence knowing you’re getting a product that’s made in North America and built to deliver the best performance possible.

Mexico is part of North America. Geographically speaking, since there is no "Central America" continent, North America also includes Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. So they can sell products made in Mexico and be perfectly honest in advertising them as "made in North America."

9 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

The listing for GSC-571 clearly says USA. Does it mean the steel is made here or the leaves are formed here or...??

image.jpeg

Here is an interesting vid, watch it. 

He states, metals in raw form are produced in "North America" meaning they buy the spring steel in bulk and likely from Mexico but the springs are actually formed and produced in US. 

This is how most most American manufacturing is handled now..........ie..........'global materials'. 

I will call Eaton next week just to see if they can produce a custom pair of coils for me. 

This has turned into an interesting thread. 

I am not to wrapped up about if the springs are made in the USA or not, as long as they are good quality.  But, I hope they are being honest.

When the guy at the General Spring warehouse in KC made the comment about the springs being shipped from Mexico, he wasn't specifically talking about the MJ springs, just the springs in the warehouse in general.  But he didn't specifically exclude the MJ springs, either.

This comment interests me:  We also have extensive in-house manufacturing and modification capabilities.  

Perhaps they have that somewhere, but I didn't see anything suggesting that at the warehouse in KC.

I am extremely fortunate in that there are two real spring companies in the county where I live. I can get custom u-bolts of any diameter and length, with extra-long nuts, made while I wait, and I can get leaf springs re-arched, modified, or custom made right here by a local company.

I checked back through my picture folders and came up empty.  It's funny, I took pics of the new vs old springs from almost every angle except on that inside arch face where the stencil was.  To OP, I would just say call up and verify where they are currently sourcing from if it matters to you.

Also, Sir Sam was the guy I was thinking of that had an issue with his bushings: