OEM Rear Bumper on Ebay *NOS*

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 9:32 PM, rynoshark said:

Dang it...I'm looking for a chrome rear step bumper in great shape.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:30 AM, NHMJXJ said:

Trust me, you're not alone.

11 hours ago, ComancheFan said:

I’m sad that I missed this one. I was suppose to get one from a member on here about two years ago for $500 and they backed out. :( Wish I would of seen this auction in time. 

Honestly, bumper prices seem to have hit the tipping point where the labor to restore a used bumper to like-new condition is the same money (or cheaper) as buying NOS.  

The economics of waiting YEARS for the opportunity to pay $700 for a bumper don't really make sense.  The bumper below was blasted and straightened for $300. They returned it straight as an arrow. Bare metal, no body filler.  It would have been another $100 for powder coat or $200 for chrome (but I'm just gonna prime and rattle can it).

Try talking to the local metal refinishers directly -- the guys the bodyshops go to.  They have the skilled metal workers and the chrome tanks. 

IlMF6T4.jpg

eFHJEKl.jpg

wdPbHHL.jpg

ISt85EF.jpg

wRyIz9T.jpg

9 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

$200 for chrome

My NOS bumper went on with its factory paint because chroming it would have doubled the cost.  Not to mention shipping.  

I wouldn't have blinked if I could have had it chromed for $200. 

7 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Honestly, bumper prices seem to have hit the tipping point where the labor to restore a used bumper to like-new condition is the same money (or cheaper) as buying NOS.  

The economics of waiting YEARS for the opportunity to pay $700 for a bumper don't really make sense.  The bumper below was blasted and straightened for $300. They returned it straight as an arrow. Bare metal, no body filler.  It would have been another $100 for powder coat or $200 for chrome (but I'm just gonna prime and rattle can it).

Try talking to the local metal refinishers directly -- the guys the bodyshops go to.  They have the skilled metal workers and the chrome tanks. 

IlMF6T4.jpg

eFHJEKl.jpg

wdPbHHL.jpg

ISt85EF.jpg

wRyIz9T.jpg

Where did you you get yours done at? I have 2 in about the condition of yours was or better even.

13 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

IlMF6T4.jpg

eFHJEKl.jpg

wdPbHHL.jpg

ISt85EF.jpg

wRyIz9T.jpg

you most definitely need to start a thread in Tech or DIY about your experience!  I can't allow that info to just get buried in the classifieds. :D 

13 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

My NOS bumper went on with its factory paint because chroming it would have doubled the cost.  Not to mention shipping.  

I wouldn't have blinked if I could have had it chromed for $200. 

Well, it was $200 extra they wanted, not $200 OTD.  You won't escape the metal prep fees.  But I agree, starting the process with a NOS bumper would be crazy because you're already in too deep.  

One interesting thing to think about is that if NOS black bumpers go for $600-$700, how much do you guys think a NOS chrome bumper would sell for?  ...assuming one magically fell out of the sky.  Probably a bit more, right?  So, maybe $800?  Now compare that number against a restoration quote on a junkyard core.

6 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

Where did you you get yours done at? I have 2 in about the condition of yours was or better even.

Gotta look local.  Shipping fees would be a budget killer.  These are the guys that I found here in town: http://www.cmf-capitalmetalfinishing.com/

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

you most definitely need to start a thread in Tech or DIY about your experience!  I can't allow that info to just get buried in the classifieds. :D 

Yup.  Maybe when done.

I purchased a bumper that was in perfect condition aside from the fact that it had a bend similar to the picture above. I hammered it out the best I could. I couldn’t get it even close the metal on the bumper is thick. I ended up giving it to my friend for his MJ as my bumper was in better condition at the time. I probably should of put it In the shed and invested in a press. 

So I just thought of something that might be crazy enough to work. What if one were to take a 80s dodge Dakota bumper and combine it with a 80s Cherokee front bumper? It would take a lot of cutting and welding but it might be possible to make a counterfeit MJ bumper. 

• 11 months later...