Rear Window Replacement

I would like to replace the rear window with one solid piece of glass.   Does anyone know where I might find it?  

This is the only replacement window that I have found. Anyone have experience with it?

https://www.carid.com/cr-laurence/sliding-window-mpn-edv700s.html?singleid=78783648&url=88482808

Past CC forums indicate the gasket is hard to find, even used.  Does anyone have experience with this?

https://www.carid.com/1989-jeep-comanche-window-components/omix-ada-window-seal-286627562.html

4 hours ago, Eagle said:

If you want to install a solid piece of glass, why is your link to a 4-panel slider unit?

Err, maybe because that's the only new replacement MJ back window he can find of any kind?  :grinyes:

OP, the MJ rear glass is flat - most any glass shop can cut one to fit.

As far as the C.R. Laurence slider you linked to, had one put in many years ago - works great with no problems.

While on the subject of rear glass & seals.....

I had a 4 panel installed a few weeks ago. I love it, but I did notice that the aluminum frame does not seat against the body. It's leaving an 1\8" to 1\4" gap. No leaking issues, and it's installed properly, but it just doesn't seat any tighter than that.

Solutions?

A side note. The glass was flat in mine, but the installer that removed it told me that it was the wrong glass for the truck. Something that fit, but was glued in, not intake with the seal. They had cut the backing off of the old seal, and glued it in around the glass to make it look like it was installed correctly.

1 minute ago, GreasemonkeySC said:

While on the subject of rear glass & seals.....
I had a 4 panel installed a few weeks ago. I love it, but I did notice that the aluminum frame does not seat against the body. It's leaving an 1\8" to 1\4" gap. No leaking issues, and it's installed properly, but it just doesn't seat any tighter than that.
Solutions?

Do you have the trim "seal" installed around it?  It's basically there to hide any gaps.

If the glass is  curved will one piece still be readily available?  Will the track be used at all or will the glass be glued to the body? Will glass company supply new gasket/seal?  Old frame and glass discarded?

59 minutes ago, Eagle said:

The one piece is glued in, like a windshield. There is no frame. The seal is the sealant/adhesive that holds it in -- the gasket is trim.

There has to be a frame, its the frame that the gasket/trim attaches to. 

6 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

There has to be a frame, its the frame that the gasket/trim attaches to. 

Windshields don't have frames. The newer Cherokees use a trim gasket that fits directly to the glass.

image.png.9f5a07721e0eff50f1217b3aa504011d.png

2 hours ago, Manche757 said:

If the glass is  curved will one piece still be readily available?  Will the track be used at all or will the glass be glued to the body? Will glass company supply new gasket/seal?  Old frame and glass discarded?

Stop in at reputable local glass shop and see what they can do. It's what they do, you'll get better answers there. They can cut a new piece for the back glass.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am looking to replace my rear window.  I have a slider right now, but the original rubber is shot.  I found a new one on carid (https://www.carid.com/1987-jeep-comanche-back-glass/).  What other hardware/items would I need to replace the glass?  I have a guy that will do it for me, but I want to make sure I have everything to make the replacement as smooth as possible.  Does the slider window use glue like the solid piece?  

yes, the rear slider is glued in with urethane that will need to be cut out with wire.  be careful, as it's really easy to accidentally cut into the B-pillar trim or even the sheetmetal of the body.  the new one I bought came with a roll of glue for it. 

the CRL is the only option out there, so if you shop around on amazon you might be able to score a better price. :L: 

be prepared to deal with some surface rust under the urethane.  it must be properly treated for the new urethane to adhere properly.

12 hours ago, Pete M said:

yes, the rear slider is glued in with urethane that will need to be cut out with wire.  be careful, as it's really easy to accidentally cut into the B-pillar trim or even the sheetmetal of the body.  the new one I bought came with a roll of glue for it. 

the CRL is the only option out there, so if you shop around on amazon you might be able to score a better price. :L: 

be prepared to deal with some surface rust under the urethane.  it must be properly treated for the new urethane to adhere properly.

Thanks Pete!

With learning that the rear window is both tempered and curved, I went to a auto glass shop to see what solution they might proffer.  The shop owner said that there was no source for that glass but he had one that he took out of an MJ  and had been holding it for 3 years.  Lucky me. I had them install it at what I thought was a reasonable price. I am very satisfied to have a solid glass.  The driver side glass was broken on the old one but the middle slider glass and the passenger side one were in good shape.  I gave those and the frame to Pete.

On my other MJ, someone here on the CC had a rear glass for sale.  He had replaced his one piece with a slider.  I bought the one piece from him.  When harvesting parts at the junkyards, I would think the rear window is usually intact and good condition.  Maybe those should be on a save list since they are not likely to be made again.

I had ac installed in both MJs.  The one piece is quieter and the tracks had gone to hell anyway.

The rubber part does not do any actual sealing the urethane does. It just fills in the gap. I’ve removed mine and reused it after painting, just be very careful when removing it, go slow and don’t pull too hard, be very deliberate. Watch out for the corners that’s where they usually tear.

Wow, that's kinda nuts. I did not realize that. I guess I'll have to baby the rubber surround out, then carefully remove the glass, then

make sure everything is super clean with no rust before the urethane and glass install.

It's that time of night to search around the forum for some full restoration build threads :D

Thanks!