Just bought an 87 short bed, 4.0 2 WD a few months ago. Originally white and sold new in CA. Its been repainted factory red sometime in its life and has the original tan vinyl bench. Bought it from a young guy in K.C. and had it shipped to Ohio. I think it was parked for awhile because the original 5 spd tranny was bad. The guy I bought it from swapped in an AX15 with help from his dad. He also put in a gauge cluster with the tach. I wanted a 2WD because I'm only going to drive it in fair weather. Pretty sure it only has 102k on it. Previously I owned a 91 Cherokee Laredo and drove it daily for 8 yrs. Looking forward to making some improvements as I get more into it. I've only put about 10 miles on it so far as I had to get rid of a Ford Ranger first so I could transfer the plate. Only the 2nd Ford I've owned and it just wasn't me. The other was a Model A.

PART95150964414500095IMG952017082095180110.jpg

11 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I had those on my 2000 xj and regreted scrapping the aluminum now. At the time prices were high and the rims a dime a dozen. Now I haven't come across a set in a junkyard for over a year and they looked like they needed refinished in a bad way.

I swapped turbines onto my 91 and have a set of four of these rims taking up space with new 235 radials on them if anybody is interested.

On 3/23/2018 at 8:03 PM, saveevryjp1998 said:

Nice mj, looks clean. If you had an xj that you liked, the mj you'll love and only look at as a parts bin from here on out. Besides it staying 2wd, do you have any plans for it in mind other than its current state?

The kid actually had parts to do a 4x4 conversion but this is strictly going to be a fair weather truck (No salt) and no off roading.

My plans are to make it a good dependable driver. My 91 Cherokee Laredo was tight and I want to get this there. 

So far I've replaced the PS pump cause it wouldn't retain fluid. As I mentioned, it has the AX15 tranny swapped in and reading about them scared me into buying some GL4 oil for an oil change. I'm not sure the correct tranny crossmember was used so I may post a picture here for verification.

It also has a water leak that I need to track down but the floors are solid.

Another thing on my wish list is a slider rear window.

I put about 80 miles on it over the weekend and new shocks are needed. They also swapped 93 spindles and brakes on the front. Not clear on the reason but I'm assuming they are an improvement over the 87 stuff.

I've also sourced a used 1990 PCM but wanted to drive it awhile before making the swap just for an A-B comparison. 

In a warmer climate GL4 should be fine.

If it doesn't have the drop trans crossmember for the AX-15 it's no big deal.  I don't have one in mine.

Slider rear windows are available from the aftermarket, and I believe they fit fairly well from all reports.  Try to get the one piece window out without breaking it, somebody will want it.

Nice looking truck.  Take good care of her, there isn't a lot of nice ones left. :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

In a warmer climate GL4 should be fine.

If it doesn't have the drop trans crossmember for the AX-15 it's no big deal.  I don't have one in mine.

Slider rear windows are available from the aftermarket, and I believe they fit fairly well from all reports.  Try to get the one piece window out without breaking it, somebody will want it.

Nice looking truck.  Take good care of her, there isn't a lot of nice ones left. :thumbsup:

It's a good 20 footer. :-) The paint is far from perfect. This is now the 4th vehicle I've bought from out of state. Rust never sleeps in Northern Ohio. 

My main concern with it maybe having the wrong tranny crossmember is the effect on driveshaft angles.

I used Redline MTL in my 91 Cherokee and again, I don't know what is in there now. From what I've been reading, GL5 is bad for the brass.

Thanks for all the comments and support.

40 minutes ago, KozmicKuda said:

My main concern with it maybe having the wrong tranny crossmember is the effect on driveshaft angles.

The way it's set up now you have no worries with the driveshaft operating angle. You can always get an angle finder and measure it.

https://www.drivelinesnw.com/part-trouble-shooting/vibration-analysis/angle-analysis/measuring-and-correcting-angle-problems/

• 3 weeks later...

Next issue is fixing a water leak. It leaks when it rains and I end up with water on the passenger floor. The rubber mat is out (No carpet) Reading through other posts led me to the upper door window seal. Thd dift seal tgat surrounds the door opening is in good shape but the shorter right-angled one was loose and not connected at the bottom. So I removed both sides and resealed them using 3M Westherstrip cement. It's been a couple days and I have water on the floor again.

Another post led me to a company that offers the outer belt window seals so I ordered a pair last night. Not expecting that to stop the leaks but they are deteriorated and need to be replaced. 

baby powder can be sprinkled around to help find water leaks.  the water will make tracks through it, leading back towards the direction of the source.  you don't need much.  just a bit around the edges of the floors and then use the hose to try and make something leak.  any and all gaps in the sheetmetal are suspect!  I've had everything from a bad firewall plug, to the windshield, to the very top of the door allowing rain in if it came from juuuust the right angle. :(  

Thanks for the tip Pete! It's been raining a lot the last couple days so I have more puddles.

I have a pile of new parts to install as soon as the weather finally breaks.

And thanks to whoever moved this thread to here, from the Pub.

Hey welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy looking around, I know I have learned much from the guys here and its always a good place to come for info. Your trucks looks good and just makes me antsy to finish mine