Retro SCCA Race Truck Project

bruceb

No, I am not pulling the bed for this paint job.  It is a California truck, so very little in the way of rust.  Also, I am painting the same color as original, so keep the re-paint straight forward!

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/20/2017 at 3:35 AM, bruceb said:

In addition to sorting out the front air dam, I am planning a cleaner look than the tubular rear bumper.  Here are ones I like the looks of, thoughts?  My favorite is on the yellow truck.

MJ-rear-bumber.jpg

MJ-rear-bumber.jpeg

XJbumperonMJ.jpg

Wow! Any ideas where did that grey truck bumper came from? THAT's what I'm after.

45 minutes ago, Dougster123 said:

Wow! Any ideas where did that grey truck bumper came from? THAT's what I'm after.

That's a custom roll pan install.  Probably an S10 rollpan that had the seams welded up and painted to make it look like it's integral to the bed.  Definitely a clean install.

• 4 months later...

Love the build! I'm not doing an SCCA clone truck, but I've been doing a lot of the same things you have to lower my comanche. My question is about the shocks though. With the fronts, did you have a problem with the upper bushings seeming like they didn't compress enough? I just installed mine yesterday so I haven't gotten it on the ground, but the nut bottomed out before it they did in my opinion. I'm going to just drive it for a while and see how they do before I make any changes to them though.

Also, I noticed you used the shorter tacoma shocks in the rear. Did you feel this was needed? I also bought these and installed them last night, but I don't have have the cherokee shackles like you do, just lowering blocks, and it seems like the shocks fully extend too easily when you push up and down on the back of the truck. Sort of like limiting straps. Do the shackles make a difference in this?

I know it's been a while, so I'm not sure if he will respond, but I'd really like to see some pictures of @Goatman's prothane bump stops. Mine currently bottom out pretty easy even after trimming them. I've though about cutting out a section of the tube, then using a piece of pipe whose outside diameter is the same as the inside diameter of the bump stop tube, then welding it back together (if that makes any sense). Did you modify your bump stops at all @bruceb?

4 hours ago, Pland said:

I know it's been a while, so I'm not sure if he will respond,

when in doubt, be sure to quote one of his posts or type @ and then his screen name as Jesse did and he should get an email alert. :L:  

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/3/2022 at 1:45 PM, dragordie said:

A lot of good information here. On my 4th Comanche (87 2WD 2.5L 4speed short bed) Working on a direction for my build. Bruceb like the direction your going. Keep us updated on your transformation. :popcorn: 

The progress is going slow so far, as my auto body painter has other jobs in front of of my Comanche.  I do have a new cyl head, cam, headers to install once I do get it back.  So my recent focus has been on my other Comanche for more camping and 4x4 trails:

• 1 year later...