photobucket forcing me to upgrade

MancheKid86

I had been a paying PB user since 2008 (member since 2003) and they still killed my posted photos. Maddening. Needless to say, they won't get another penny from me.

I will do my best to restore photo links in any post I've made, but it will take time. We must rebuild!

So, imgur.com isn't an option, and Amazon Prime isn't an option. I'm still looking.

I haven't tried using Google Photos yet, but it seems like a possibility, albeit a bit clunky.

https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/?_ga=2.191803311.446482463.1499663096-1879167503.1499663096

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loss of all the photos on the DIY guides is horrible.

My photos are gone. Deleted PB account. 

Might be the end for me on CC.

:???:  :hmm:  Why, there's still lots of information here and you can still help others. This image hosting thing will work out eventually.

I agree with Yellaheep -- the damage this has done to the Internet community is incalculable.

Might be the end for me on CC.

:???:  :hmm:  Why, there's still lots of information here and you can still help others. This image hosting thing will work out eventually.

Agree with Yellaheep/Eagle that the damage this has done to the Internet community is incalculable.

The bulk majority of the DIY guides and information is very dependent on photos. 

If the image hosting problem ever gets solved it will be a monumental task to get the threads back in order. Majority will probable stay disheveled.

Such a disappointment.  

still works. 

right click on the non viewable image, click open in new tab. 

photobucket opens up with same nonviewable tab.

right click that one too and click open in new tab.

then open that tab.

Does NOT work for me. As I said above, when I right click there is no option to open in a new tab.

This truly blows but is not the end of the world.  PB will realize their mistake when they go belly up or someone buys them out.  I've moved everything over to Flickr and have started the slow process of updating my post.  I had about 800 pics so a few here and there minus the wanted and for sale ones that are no longer needed it should take a few weeks.  Much quicker than my build. :roll:

It will take time but doable.  You can eat an elephant if you do it a bite at a time. :thumbsup:

Interview with the CEO of Photobucket regarding the change in policy

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/16/photobucket-fee-hike/

Not confident it will really have any impact. But here is the petition mentioned in the article.

https://www.change.org/p/photobucket-reverse-the-photobucket-third-party-rule

Interesting part of the article:

Was the customer backlash expected?

Corpus paused. For 12 seconds.

“No,” he finally said.

Take charge!  :yes:   I've had a WD 2TB external for years that I use for backup.....

My understanding is that this is a cloud machine.......acts similar to a server, more like a personal server. 

I'm going the website route, my brother suggested the cloud route, which I was not even aware of. 

Anything you put on "the cloud" is ultimately at the mercy of whoever owns the cloud server(s). Photobucket is "the cloud." Dropbox is "the cloud." Google Docs is "the cloud." They can change their price structure and/or terms of service tomorrow. The very best control, which most of us can't afford and probably don't have the technical resources to do anyway, is to have your own server hosting your own domain. I know one guy in town who does that -- but he's an IT professional for a large hospital, and he has a bank of servers in a rack in his basement. Aside from the servers, the big roadblock to hosting your own site is that you need a fast connection. I have the fastest DSL connection available in my corner of the universe, and it's nowhere near fast enough to handle having my own server connected to the Internet.

Next best is to register your own domain name and rent hosting from a company that's in the business of hosting. Their prices may increase a bit with each renewal, but probably never on the order of magnitude of what Photobucket did. (Going from zero to $399 is, mathematically, an infinite increase. Not 10%, not 100%, not even 400% -- it's "infinite.") They have their business plan figured out so their fees cover their costs plus profit. Photobucket was trying to make their income with ads, but they got greedy to the point that users were almost forced to run ad blockers, which obviously reduced the effectiveness of the ads.

A friend pointed out that with a hundred million users, most of them subscribed to the free service, if Photobucket had decided to charge just $10 a year their income would increased by about $1 BILLION dollars a year. Most of us would have paid $10/year. $400/year -- not a chance.

A friend pointed out that with a hundred million users, most of them subscribed to the free service, if Photobucket had decided to charge just $10 a year their income would increased by about $1 BILLION dollars a year. Most of us would have paid $10/year. $400/year -- not a chance.

...some of us were already paying $30-40 a year for extra storage and removed future payments for the additional storage and deleted thousands of photos to get under the 'free' account limit. The financial figure for this would be interesting to see.

anyone know if its possible to host some photos on CC with software that automatically shrinks the pic size to a reasonable amount?  we wouldn't need any 5 or 8 meg pics for what we do.  what about a cap on the number of pics hosted per member?

anyone know if its possible to host some photos on CC with software that automatically shrinks the pic size to a reasonable amount?  we wouldn't need any 5 or 8 meg pics for what we do.  what about a cap on the number of pics hosted per member?

Pete, does this site belong to you?

I do own this site (hosted by a 3rd party host).  some of the pic extensions are not allowed by the forum software.  can't remember if that is alterable or not.   :dunno:   Alexia is our main computer guru so you're likely to get a better answer from him.

I do own this site (hosted by a 3rd party host).  some of the pic extensions are not allowed by the forum software.  can't remember if that is alterable or not.   :dunno:   Alexia is our main computer guru so you're likely to get a better answer from him.

I have belonged to other sites that allowed just about any image extension.........cut and paste was the norm. 

And other sites did not allow.

That's why I asked. 

While I have your attention.........   jeepcomancheclub.com is available, and other variations, such as, comancheclub.club and so forth. Don't know if you care or not.