Evolution '88

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/28/2017 at 11:32 PM, kansashogan said:

Did you decide to do it yourself? 

The plan was for me to do all the bodywork and priming, and to paint the door jambs, body shop to spray the entire truck. 

That plan has changed, yeah, I want to paint it myself here at home. 

I'll just have to get some 6mil plastic and build a tent under my deck. 

I believe you once told me "and so it begins", did you ever think you would have so much time and money invested in your pickup? I already have a few rock chips in my paint and I have decided to not worry about it. I live six miles out in the country so I drive gravel roads daily.  It gets driven more than my new Colorado. I have had a lot of compliments about the paint job simply because it turned out decent and I did it myself. It's a good feeling. It looks like you are doing a great job, can't wait to see the final product. 

Did some sandblasting today, all the little bits that I've been putting off. 

Got the seat brackets blasted and painted, the one below was so bad you could actually see light through the rust holes. 

hjtBpUB.jpg

It may not be pretty but it should hold up fine now, it'll be buried in the carpet anyway. 

zKiosqE.jpg

No pic but I got the tailgate handle done too. I also got the cab, front fenders,  and header panel sanded and reprimed, now it's ready to be wet sanded.

646FB8N.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't done much this month, too cold and nasty or I've been exhausted from work. 

In the FWIW dept.-

I mounted the seats just to get them off the garage floor. For those of us who have taken  the seats out too many times, we know what a PITA it is with the nuts and studs. Can't fit a deep socket over the stud because it hits the bottom of the seat (bench seat), wrench falls of nut every turn........

My solution is coupler nuts or deep nuts, covers the entire stud so that stud will not rust ahead of the nut making it a b*@$£ to get the nut off and end up turning the stud out. 

Wrench or ratchet..........no problem now. 

sMt6w0G.jpg

Q511nLp.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There was one column at the PnP, from a really nice '90XJ, tilt. Can't say I really wanted tilt but I could be waiting for months for a good column. 

Dove in tonight, got it stripped down, all ignition and related parts gutted, steering lock too. Now I need to paint and reassemble.

9uyzaeX.jpg

Lxqw6FK.jpg

M46H4EZ.jpg

Companies like idit and Flaming River use a bezel that is crowned and makes up the difference where the switched replaces the key cylinder. Whatever they do, they ain't telling me, so I had to come up with my own way of mounting it. The hole is just slightly larger than the switch itself. 

TrXXzI9.jpg

I ground off the points of the nut enough to press it in the hole. I used JB Weld to epoxy it in. 

xNrlkej.jpg

Use a syringe to apply a bead around the top.

iBboU6A.jpg

I used heat to melt down the JB Weld. 

LYUG8ta.jpg

Tomorrow I'll sand the epoxy down smooth and begin sanding out the 'lock' and the arrow off the housing. 

5 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

I like that steering wheel, too bad it doesn't have a Jeep emblem in the center though.

Are you using a specific paint for the plastic pieces of the column?

It's a GT Performance wheel, not a Grant. https://gtperformance.net/

No, I'm using the same primer and base/clear as I'm using for the rest of the truck. 

Plastic sands out smooth, I'm not worried about leaching oils or expansion/contraction, I don't think the factory worried about it either. 

5 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Pretty sure Grant sells Jeep logo horn buttons for their wheels.  What's the wheel diameter?

15"

When held up to the factory 3 spoke, spokes and diameter are a pretty good match. 

GT does not have a Jeep logo button, they do have plain buttons that I could add a logo to but I chose theirs. 

• 3 weeks later...

One thing always leads to another. 

I need to rewire the ignition circuit, the stock ignition switch will be gone, I need to make certain everything works before I eliminate the switch. That leads me to the fuse block, I picked up a good one today. I also ordered all new connectors from Del City that should be here on Monday. 

I've got a new Ford brake light switch and new door switches. I've already spent some time eliminating some of the unwanted cluster-F from under the dash. 

92aPDGQ.jpg

I'm currently looking for a set of 97+ clutch/brake pedals, I want to swap those out before the column goes in. 

I don't have a set yet but below is a 97 set. 

GLvFYId.jpg

Eye Candy-

I stopped off at Performance Products, found a little something to keep me motivated. 

AwAIgWT.jpg

hOtzI65.jpg