Jeremy's Radio Emporium: Old Radios for the Modern Era

• 2 weeks later...

Got off my rear and created a real OP with some info on myself and my operation. Added an order form, and...

All limited warranties have been retroactively extended from one month to six months from the date of delivery. Going forward, all radios will come with owner's manuals, and the warranty described in the first post.

I am def going to be checking back in for updates on Bluetooth pricing. I like the stock radio in my mj due to the low level of "shiny" it has enticing thieves.

Questions I have are ability for Bluetooth calls.. I have gotten pretty spoiled by my company dd being able to talk hands free and would love that feature.

Second question I have has to do with your ability to refurbish the buttons. My 92mj has the wording worn off a button or two and I'd like to get that looking new again if getting interior work done.

Next question (I think you covered this and said no) but do you have any interest in looking into modifying 97+ radios? My 99 has the limited unit but if Bluetooth calls could be added, I would love to be able to do that. 

Let me know

25 minutes ago, Goose_XJ88 said:

I am def going to be checking back in for updates on Bluetooth pricing. I like the stock radio in my mj due to the low level of "shiny" it has enticing thieves.

Questions I have are ability for Bluetooth calls.. I have gotten pretty spoiled by my company dd being able to talk hands free and would love that feature.

Second question I have has to do with your ability to refurbish the buttons. My 92mj has the wording worn off a button or two and I'd like to get that looking new again if getting interior work done.

Next question (I think you covered this and said no) but do you have any interest in looking into modifying 97+ radios? My 99 has the limited unit but if Bluetooth calls could be added, I would love to be able to do that. 

Let me know

The current prototype is not call compatible. This will 100% change in the future. I will not sell a Bluetooth radio until I fix that little niggle. I consider hands-free calling mandatory for this kind of thing.

Currently I replace any buttons that show wear. This is a problem because it means I have to break down nice radios for parts. I'm looking into having stencils made that will allow me to refinish the buttons.

I do not at the moment have any plans to expand into the 97+ radios. They are totally different (I'd have to learn all of the variations of those... there are at least 15-20 different ones), and the market for those is unbelievably flooded by at least two other companies that offer similar services at a similar but slightly higher price point. There is absolutely no incentive for me to do so. I'm quite surprised they haven't started offering 84-96 radios yet. Plus, I don't have any vehicles that take those radios and I have no personal interest in them. I only do this because I genuinely like these things.

Feeling a little festive? Color LED button illumination is now available for orders in any combination of blue, red, green, amber, or white. Available on all Chrysler radios. Extra charge of $15.

Red/Green:

FnOWitTl.jpg

Blue:

nqdUcrzl.jpg

White:

9AtZgvRl.jpg

All radios will have full illumination coverage like the white picture shows. I do not find the brightness to be annoying, but it can be clearly read even in daylight. LED illumination is covered under the new 6 month warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone must be figuring out my secrets. Last night on my eBay feed I found a 56007214 with an aux jack that I definitely did not build.

There is room for only one in this market, and I will compete relentlessly. I considered taking down my DIY aux instructions, but that would be unfair to you guys. The instructions will stay.

Meanwhile, check out my new website! Things are very, very WIP right now, but I'm gradually filling things in. The entirety of the "What Minuit Knows..." article will eventually be added with a full interactive table of contents to make things easier to read. In the future I'll probably be adding an e-commerce system. Suggestions, proofreading, and bug reports for the site are appreciated. If you own one of my products, feel free to send me a pic and I will add it to the site. Pricing on the site does not factor in the $15 CC discount. You may also encounter my radios on eBay, now even more obviously branded as mine. If you are a CC member, do not buy them there, as prices are higher to accomodate eBay's insane fees.

Under the "Products and Services" tab you can find new pics of blue and orange LED illumination installed in an AM-FM only radio. You can also download a sample owner's manual for a Chrysler AM-FM unit! Owner's manuals are now shipping with all Standard and Special series radios.

34 minutes ago, Minuit said:

BREAKING NEWS: I have made a phone call via Bluetooth from a factory XJ radio, possibly the first in history!

Did you integrate a mic to the head unit or was it over the phone mic? Either way it's cool, just curious...

That's unfortunate.  It's awesome to see what you've been capable doing with these.  I think the legal stuff on this is dumb but do agree that it isn't worth the risk.  

I do have one question though.  Would it be possible to sell "kits" to convert one of these to Bluetooth? That way the end user is doing the modification rather than you.  Or even you do the more difficult parts of the modification and leave it up to the end user to finish it off to make it work?  I've seen many products and companies getting around legal things by doing this.  Any way something like that would work?

Are there Bluetooth modules that would work in these radios that are already licensed and rated and whatnot that would get you around it?  

I know I'm dropping into kind of a potential gray area but I don't want to see you lose your progress. 

• Minuit changed the title to Jeremy's Radio Emporium: Old Radios for the Modern Era