"The Cure" from RuffStuff.............

I read about this "device" in several Jeep forums last week, saw all good reviews, so I ordered one for the stock Jeep steering, p/n R2008. In theory I thought the principle was sound. It goes on the right side tie rod end and is sandwiched between the tie rod end and the drag link. For me it was not PnP as advertised since I am using all ZJ V8 steering parts from MOOG. Because of the lip on the tie rod for the now discarded rubber boot, I had to trim the "face" of the washer down about 1/8" to fit the flat side of the MOOG tie rod end. It has to be thin enough to fit snugly (not tightly) after fully tightening down the tie rod tapered bolt into the drag link hole. It took a few tries to get it to the right thickness.

The damn thing really works great! The tie rod roll is completely gone when turning stop-to-stop, and the steering really feels more responsive and secure. My ZJ steering gear and linkage are all fairly new components, and this little Delrin spacer washer really improved it. I don't know how long it will last, but RuffStuff says it will be probably last two tie rod end lifespans. We'll see. To me this little mod is well worth doing for an MJ that lives most all of it's life on the streets. 

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R1768.html

e8FNwnB.jpg

R1768-full.jpg

Great review Don.  

Just finished up my 2WD->4WD conversion including all completely new steering (stock) and WJ Knuckles & Brakes.

Have seen/considered this addition several times as well. 

Appreciate the review/insight! 

They work. Helped a lot with my XJ that uses inverted T steering.

I'd like to see how you installed them (plural?) on an inverted T steering system. Got pics?

It's installed the same way, where the drag link meets the tie rod.  I have hydro-assist and it removes a lot of the load from the actual drag link, so it stiffens it enough that it stops the drag link from wanting to roll the tie rod as bad.  I also sucked the tie rod ends in more than you normally would since I had to modify the steering knuckles/arms, so the tie rod won't roll as much to begin with, but it did make a noticeable difference in road handling having The Cure in there.  I ordered it on a whim, prior to deciding how the steering would work anyways, and if I really intended to street drive it all the time I would probably order two of them and put them under the TREs, or get the actual FSJ part that does the same thing (elastomeric puck that goes between the TRE and the steering arm).  That's assuming the FSJ part is actually still available.

Steering looks like this:

Image Not Found

Which doesn't show much. :rotf:

Didn't know the FSJ's used a similar device. Maybe that's where RuffStuff stole the idea.  :yes:

Not many people know about it, and like I said, no idea if the part is available anymore.  It was a steel shim with rubber bonded to both sides, so they only lasted so long before the rubber fell apart.

As they say, there really is no new ideas, just retakes on old ideas. :laughin:

I've done the ZJ V8 TRE upgrade but still have stock drag link.  It looks like you bought the stock Cure p/n 2008 but linked to R1768 which is for the ZJ V8 TRE.  I have the half inch pin on the TRE.  Do you know which one I would need.  I'm assuming it's the R1768.  thx

I also have the ZJ V8 tie rod with the 1/2" pin. You will need the R2008; it has the 1/2" hole. The R1768 I believe has a 5/8" hole. THIS is the correct link for the R2008 - sorry for the confusion.

EDIT:  I called RuffStuff to verify, and the R1768 has a 3/4" hole, so it would be too large for the ZJ V8 tie rod pin. He said they are going to change the info on their web site. TBD..............

I also have the ZJ V8 tie rod with the 1/2" pin. You will need the R2008; it has the ~1/2" hole. The R1768 I believe has a 5/8" hole. THIS is the correct link for the R2008 - sorry for the confusion.

EDIT:  I called RuffStuff to verify, and the R1768 has a 3/4" hole, so it would be too large for the ZJ V8 tie rod pin. He said they are going to change the info on their web site.

Great!  Thanks for clearing that up.  Looking forward to the upgrade.

Was soooo excited to see this, but, DANG! I have a hard time justifying the cost. Not so much the part, even though it is grossly over-priced, but $9 bucks to ship a lightweight and small piece of plastic? Are they driving over and installing it too? I already have a lathe and for $6 bucks I can buy enough Delrin to make enough of these to last a lifetime.

This is a tough one. I sure would like tighter steering, but at what cost? Do Comanche Club members get a discount?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note: If you do order one of these make sure and get "The Cure for Jeeps" and not just "The Cure" unless you have upgraded to GM 1 ton components. Both are listed under Jeep parts on their site.

NC Tom, I'll measure the right one when it comes and post up here or you can roll down the hill and have a look in person.

The required thickness of these Delrin spacers will vary depending on the TRE manufacturer. My MOOG TRE had a metal lip on it where the rubber boot retaining ring was located. So I had to shave the "Cure" down to compensate for the thickness of this lip (about 1/8") so the beveled pin would seat all the way down into the drag link hole. Other manufacturers TRE's will be different. The Mopar TRE requires no modification since it's flat. So one size will not fit all applications........

The required thickness of these Delrin spacers will vary depending on the TRE manufacturer. My MOOG TRE had a metal lip on it where the rubber boot retaining ring was located. So I had to shave the "Cure" down to compensate for the thickness of this lip (about 1/8") so the beveled pin would seat all the way down into the drag link hole. Other manufacturers TRE's will be different. The Mopar TRE requires no modification since it's flat. So one size will not fit all applications........

Understood. However, the "Jeep" version should fit any unmolested, er. . . I mean, unmodified MJ.   :teehee:  Correct?

Not correct. I used the "Jeep" version on my unmolested steering, except for the ZJ V8 tie rod. The washer thickness depends on the tie rod end design. Too thick and the tie rod end pin can't bottom out. Not good. It says this on their web site too.

Not correct. I used the "Jeep" version on my unmolested steering, except for the ZJ V8 tie rod. The washer thickness depends on the tie rod end design. Too thick and the tie rod end pin can't bottom out. Not good. It says this on their web site too.

Ah. That's why they wrote, "Manufacturing tolerances". Got it.

• 1 month later...
  • Pete M locked this topic