"The Cure" from RuffStuff.............

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I went ahead and bought the genuine article from Ruffstuff, and I got it installed this weekend. My truck is due for an alignment and I also installed a new tie rod end at this time, so the alignment is a little off. The bushing fit my aftermarket tie rod end perfectly, but from what I've seen the TRE absolutely has to line up flat on the drag link for the pin to seat all the way, and have any hope of keeping the grease in. This effectively locks the right TRE to the drag link.

Temper your expectations, it won't turn your truck into (insert car with good steering here). The difference I found is slight but noticeable. I'm also totally unlifted, so I'm likely to see the least possible improvement from this. Still, the steering feels like it might just be connected to the wheels at some distant point. It's still a totally dead recirculating ball system, but the dead spot in the middle is now substantially smaller, even with my 171k mile original steering box. Making small adjustments on the highway is a matter of "move the wheel a little" rather than "take up the slack in the wheel, then move it some". A ZJ steering box and all new tie rod ends ought to make it feel better still.

I went ahead and bought the real deal also, but the larger version for my CJ-7 that has upgraded steering components.  The grease boot was completely gone, so I needed something.  I had similar results as Minuit.  My CJ actually steers really well, much better since I recently put some degree shims on the front springs to get my castor closer to correct.  The improvement was along the lines of "yeah it's better... I think".  It shouldn't fail and disappear like my rubber one did, a plus for a rig that sees lots of trails.

• 4 months later...
  • Pete M locked this topic