Rusty's Tail housings Review

They fit alot better than I thought based previous pics online, with a little patience and washers for spacing they follow the body line almost perfectly!

These are perfect for my future end result which is to weld them in place and little filler then paint!

837304e85bb5d4908da4da106b5d8973.jpga0b38442e0939075c476486422f76cfd.jpg7233b3fc33e6f291e347068bd824eb5b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Nice! I was really looking to see how they look and fit. Thank you!

did you figure out reverse light and side markers? Or just left them out? 

I believe those are muilti function lights. The produce a white reverse light and function as a turn signal along with brake light if I'm not mistaken.

Nice! I was really looking to see how they look and fit. Thank you!

did you figure out reverse light and side markers? Or just left them out?

Like zeb said they are multi functional, as far as side markers not gonna add them these things are bright and LA not real tough on inspection! I am going to add some flush cubes in rear bumper for work lights, but I may wire them as reverse lights too

Also for anyone interested in a pair I would go ahead and get a set, you gotta think they probably made one run of these and that's it considering the limited number of comanches out there.

$200 just for the housings without any lights and no sidemarkers or reflectors to keep your rig legal? Then another $70 for red-only LED lights that fit the housing (mounting gasket and wiring plug sold separately)? Resistors for the turn signals to operate properly with the LED light? Looks like everyone will have to fend for themselves for reverse lights. Ridiculous. I'll stick to pulling lights from salvage yards that are a complete package, thank you.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-metal-tail-light-housings-pair-mj-commanche.html

$200 just for the housings without any lights and no sidemarkers or reflectors to keep your rig legal? Then another $70 for red-only LED lights that fit the housing (mounting gasket and wiring plug sold separately)? Resistors for the turn signals to operate properly with the LED light? Looks like everyone will have to fend for themselves for reverse lights. Ridiculous. I'll stick to pulling lights from salvage yards that are a complete package, thank you.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-metal-tail-light-housings-pair-mj-commanche.html

Man, you have two Mercedes. That's far worse waste of money  :teehee:

No resistors needed just new flasher relay under 10$ also I payed 70$ to the door for my multifunctional lights with reverse lights and grommets. Also side markers would be simple and cheap I just choose the smooth side look and as I said louisiana is not tough on inspection.

I know 270$ sounds expensive but I sold 3 pairs of stock lights for 200$ and traded the $ off for a pair that are pretty much the last pair you will buy (hence the price) they are beefy. On top of all that I like the look! Wiring also is elementary just splice directly into your existing harness.

I'm torn... I can't tell if I truly like them or not.... for a "bed trailer" or heavy wheeler, probably, as you'll never have to worry about cracking one. But Idk if I could/would do them on my daily. Something just looks missing about them.

... Something just looks missing about them.

Side markers, reflectors, backup lights, they're totally illegal setups as shown here.

well they said its dual STTR lights. But I wasnt talking about the legalities or anything like that. I just meant the whole design in general. Its almost just too plain. Even with lights set in them. Theres just a visual aspect missing. Maybe its the locked in memory visual of a pickup always having a full tailight but then not here anymore. Idk...

... Something just looks missing about them.

Side markers, reflectors, backup lights, they're totally illegal setups as shown here.

The MJ isn't wide enough to require side markers in most jurisdictions. They are missing reflectors I suppose, but that style light can be got with integrated reverse lights. A strip of reflective tape along the bumper would turn this into a perfectly legal setup where we live.

I know MA inspection you need to have a side marker front and rear. Reflectors front, side and rear. And front MUST be amber and rear MUST be red unless factory equipped with a clear lens.

I swapped my TJ to flush mount round LEDs with a black backing and clear lens. And they made me swap out for a red lens. Or else they would fail me

Stopped by the inspection place just to ask if I was legal, and it's perfectly legal here in LA someone stated it earlier, it's not wide enough to require side markers. I will also post pics when the body work is done.

If you had some serious tires and massive flares I can see it going over the width. I remember reading about when GM went quadrasteer, the rear track got wider, and the wider flares to compensate brought the trucks over the width requirement, so they needed side markers, but the non-quadrasteer models don't have them. So I suspect the width requirement is right around a 2000-ish Chevy half-ton's. My MJ isn't that wide.

US Federal Motor Vehicle Standard 108 requires 2 amber and 2 red side marker lamps for: All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses and Trailers of Less Than 80 (2032) Inches (mm) Overall Width as of July 1972 per Table III - Required Motor Vehicle Lighting Equipment as shown on https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml. The location requirements for placement of these Federally required side marker lamps may be found on Table IV. Side marker reflectors are also addressed in FMVS 108. Can businesses, local governments, and individual state governments overrule Federal vehicle vehicle requirement standards and regulations?

Further, I don't see a disclaimer as of this post on the Rusty's web page for the housings or on their T&C page stating they are For Offroad Use Only; these tail lamp housings once installed with rear facing lights as suggested obviously fail to comply with FMVS 108. In the event someone using these housings as suggested receives a citation from law enforcement for lack of side-marker lights or reflectors, however unlikely that may be, does the lack of an Offroad Use Only disclaimer make Rusty's on the hook for the citation fines or fees and any subsequent ones by others until a disclaimer is up on the site or on the product itself, thereby transferring liability to the purchaser/user?

Jesus, and that right there is why I'm glad I live up north ... If you buy a piece of metal and mount lights, it's your responsibility to ensure if follows government guidelines.

If you modify your vehicle, it's also your responsibility to ensure it still meets the required standards. Not the guy that made the part you bought, because he didn't tell you it wasn't legal to do so.

So damn frivolous.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

US Federal Motor Vehicle Standard 108 requires 2 amber and 2 red side marker lamps for: All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses and Trailers of Less Than 80 (2032) Inches (mm) Overall Width as of July 1972 per Table III - Required Motor Vehicle Lighting Equipment as shown on https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml. The location requirements for placement of these Federally required side marker lamps may be found on Table IV. Side marker reflectors are also addressed in FMVS 108. Can businesses, local governments, and individual state governments overrule Federal vehicle vehicle requirement standards and regulations?

Further, I don't see a disclaimer as of this post on the Rusty's web page for the housings or on their T&C page stating they are For Offroad Use Only; these tail lamp housings once installed with rear facing lights as suggested obviously fail to comply with FMVS 108. In the event someone using these housings as suggested receives a citation from law enforcement for lack of side-marker lights or reflectors, however unlikely that may be, does the lack of an Offroad Use Only disclaimer make Rusty's on the hook for the citation fines or fees and any subsequent ones by others until a disclaimer is up on the site or on the product itself, thereby transferring liability to the purchaser/user?

I'm not digging around on his site, because frankly I don't give a damn, but I bet in his warranty info there is a general disclaimer releasing him of liability and indicating that his products are intended for off road use only and may not meet legal requirements in all jurisdictions.