Rusty's Tail housings Review

So apparently I'm wrong. I was confusing side marker lamps with clearance lamps. Apologies to all.

As far as what would happen in Canada if they sold an illegal product and didn't indicate as such, there would definitely still be repercussions for the manufacturer. Although more than likely they would just refund the purchase price and call it done.

Trust me the Comanche would never reach the width to require marker/clearance going by the lines drawn on the floor of the inspection shop in LA not without one tons and clearly it's not gonna be a daily. Also as far as state laws trumping fed law who knows? (But they are selling weed in several states now how's that for trumping fed law!!)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Gonna try to get them welded up this week.

Did you happen to get a picture of the inside of the housings? I have a pile of 18 gauge sheet and I'm going to attempt to make my own housings. I was wondering how they braced them or added gussets...

Gonna try to get them welded up this week.

Did you happen to get a picture of the inside of the housings? I have a pile of 18 gauge sheet and I'm going to attempt to make my own housings. I was wondering how they braced them or added gussets...
I did not but I will when I remove them and get them welded

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If you had some serious tires and massive flares I can see it going over the width. I remember reading about when GM went quadrasteer, the rear track got wider, and the wider flares to compensate brought the trucks over the width requirement, so they needed side markers, but the non-quadrasteer models don't have them. So I suspect the width requirement is right around a 2000-ish Chevy half-ton's. My MJ isn't that wide.

never will understand that one...  independent steer front with a solid axle steer rear

Jesus, and that right there is why I'm glad I live up north ... If you buy a piece of metal and mount lights, it's your responsibility to ensure if follows government guidelines.

If you modify your vehicle, it's also your responsibility to ensure it still meets the required standards. Not the guy that made the part you bought, because he didn't tell you it wasn't legal to do so.

So damn frivolous.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

:thumbsup:

US Federal Motor Vehicle Standard 108 requires 2 amber and 2 red side marker lamps for: All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses and Trailers of Less Than 80 (2032) Inches (mm) Overall Width as of July 1972 per Table III - Required Motor Vehicle Lighting Equipment as shown on https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml. The location requirements for placement of these Federally required side marker lamps may be found on Table IV. Side marker reflectors are also addressed in FMVS 108. Can businesses, local governments, and individual state governments overrule Federal vehicle vehicle requirement standards and regulations?

Further, I don't see a disclaimer as of this post on the Rusty's web page for the housings or on their T&C page stating they are For Offroad Use Only; these tail lamp housings once installed with rear facing lights as suggested obviously fail to comply with FMVS 108. In the event someone using these housings as suggested receives a citation from law enforcement for lack of side-marker lights or reflectors, however unlikely that may be, does the lack of an Offroad Use Only disclaimer make Rusty's on the hook for the citation fines or fees and any subsequent ones by others until a disclaimer is up on the site or on the product itself, thereby transferring liability to the purchaser/user?

Ever hear "let sleeping dogs lie?" no wonder JCR and others don't want to make MJ parts, easier to not make them and deal with perceived legal hassles, than to help the MJ community by producing a product that people try dig up all the legal dirt soon as they see it. As someone stated earlier "better snatch them up, probably a limited run" yup, I wouldn't be surprised that when they gone, they gone for good, because someone needed to point out perceived legal flaws and the manufacturer don't want the hassle when it shows up...

Bo has asked me before to make him a set of these since we both think $200 is a little steep.

But not 100% sure how hard they'd actually be to make. The laser cut part is no problem and forming them probably wouldn't be an issue, it's just constructing them and doing the screw/mounting holes...

Their website says 1/8" and 3/16" steel. What's is 3/16" on them?

And I would also like some pictures of the inside of them when you take them back off.

As for them being "legal" if everyone is that worried about them, either drill another hole and put in another light or don't buy these.

That is the reason nobody makes mj parts anymore. Everyone cries about them and nobody wants to mess with them then.

Just from the few parts I've built, ive realized this...

US Federal Motor Vehicle Standard 108 requires 2 amber and 2 red side marker lamps for: All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses and Trailers of Less Than 80 (2032) Inches (mm) Overall Width as of July 1972 per Table III - Required Motor Vehicle Lighting Equipment as shown on https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml. The location requirements for placement of these Federally required side marker lamps may be found on Table IV. Side marker reflectors are also addressed in FMVS 108. Can businesses, local governments, and individual state governments overrule Federal vehicle vehicle requirement standards and regulations?

Further, I don't see a disclaimer as of this post on the Rusty's web page for the housings or on their T&C page stating they are For Offroad Use Only; these tail lamp housings once installed with rear facing lights as suggested obviously fail to comply with FMVS 108. In the event someone using these housings as suggested receives a citation from law enforcement for lack of side-marker lights or reflectors, however unlikely that may be, does the lack of an Offroad Use Only disclaimer make Rusty's on the hook for the citation fines or fees and any subsequent ones by others until a disclaimer is up on the site or on the product itself, thereby transferring liability to the purchaser/user?

Ever hear "let sleeping dogs lie?" no wonder JCR and others don't want to make MJ parts, easier to not make them and deal with perceived legal hassles, than to help the MJ community by producing a product that people try dig up all the legal dirt soon as they see it. As someone stated earlier "better snatch them up, probably a limited run" yup, I wouldn't be surprised that when they gone, they gone for good, because someone needed to point out perceived legal flaws and the manufacturer don't want the hassle when it shows up...

This^