Was: Stroker 4.6L swap, Now: 4.0L swap... apparently...

I wasn't even looking for one, but a 4.6 popped onto the market and I had to take advantage of the opportunity. I had been planning on building one using a 4.0 and 4.2 that I bought a while back, but now I don't have to mess with all that. This engine will be going into my red 88.

Step 1 was getting the half-XJ. It was negotiated that I was to get the entire engine bay contents and I felt this was the easiest and the best way to guarantee that I know where everything is once I start pulling wires. Jared and I hopped the bridge to Windsor and used his new toy (plasma cutter) to hack the XJ in half. Took a bit longer than we thought, mostly because we couldn't get the front seats out and had to cut around them and the compressor and plasma cutter kept blowing fuses.

Then we loaded it onto the trailer and ran the gauntlet back to the States.

I've been cleaning up the garage and prepping it to house both the half-XJ and my 88 MJ at the same time so the swap goes as smoothly as possible. Here I just backed the trailer into the garage so the local code enforcer can't complain about it. (my driveway is technically "public property". and trailers can only stay there for 3 days at a time. Damn I hate this city.)

And all that sweat has given me this. An engine bay full of non-corroded wires and supposed-to-be-working parts. :D Once I get the truck in the garage, I'll go through and decide how much I want to swap over.

Next step is to hoist it off of the trailer and onto jack stands.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My trailer can't carry the whole thing and my garage can't store 2 complete vehicles at the same time. Plus the suspension and axle were gone and the seats and what-not were things he wanted to keep. I wasn't expecting to take the windshield and trans/t-case, but as we went along it became apparent that it was unavoidable. :dunno:

Oh, and the uniframe was cracked in two (the big reason he was parting it out).

$750 US with like 15k kms on it. But that came at a cost, I purchased it trusting (not totally blind, but close to it) that it was what he said it was. I was able to hear it run and it purred and the valves under the cap are the cleanest I've ever seen (short of new-in-the-box). He couldn't find the paperwork and just now I'm getting warmer on the trail to track down the original company that built it. Hopefully they have copies of the build sheet and dyno printout. Today I talked to the shop that installed it and I'll be calling back tomorrow morning when the computers are on so he can look it up (in Canada, the 4th is just another day). Then I'll be able to call the original builder on Thursday (supposed to be out of California) and then I should have me answer. :cheers:

Plus later on I plan to use the AC components to fix my 90 MJ and the t-case is being kept until I am comfortable that the one in my 90 works alright.

Just make sure you incorporate that bling-bling grill into the build. 20 extra style points for that :D

(I sawed a YJ frame into thirds with the sawzall and thought I was the cat's azz....but that doesn't even compare to cutting an XJ in half with a plasma cutter jamminz.gif )

Jeff

Come to think of it...

I just did the same thing, but with a 99 WJ. Getting the engine, tranny, all the wiring, and pretty much anything from the dash forward. It was cut just behind the front seats, and about half way up the A pillars. So yea, half a Jeep. But it's not going back into a Jeep, It will be the powerplant for the Bruiser. The 4.7L with the 545RFE tranny. I wonder what my mom will say when I bring that half a Jeep home...

No, more like "get that thing out of here by next weekend!!!"

She would know what it was, my mom knows her jeeps quite well, seeing between me and my sister have had a totally of like 12 Jeeps now...

I just finally got her off my back since I took the two scrap ones to the JY. We also have a few neighbors who complained, meaning now, anything that don't go on the road better get hidden, or dismantled and gone pretty quickly.

My mom doesn't really mind too much about having the stuff, it's more of the fact of the 3rd warning from the town and the next will result in a $250 fine, or 15 days with big bubba.

jeepco u need another spare part like i need a hole in the head , wich reminds me u ever install the wagy stuf u already got :roll:

not to hyjack the thread just curious

LMAO!

yea, check project project.

it went on my 89

n69205416_32052046_1240.jpg

Looks like somebody got a good score.

Jared, lose any skin off your face after doing that?

actually only a tiny burn on my arm from leaning up against the hot metal, and a few spark burns on my arms and hands. 8) man that thing is great

nice, buy literally half an xj. you gonna share how much you nabbed that for? i'm jelous.

I know of another one other then this oe I hooked pete up with. Its cheaper, but I have no idea about how it was built. this one I knew of by word of mouth